help! Skyla's pad (pic)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most small open wounds can be treated at home. You will want to treat the area 2 -3 times a day with a topical antibiotic ointment of sorts, or even clean the area with an iodine solution, which is what we do whenever any of ours had injuries. For short term coverage, you can use a sock to put over the paw and lower leg to keep her from licking it. We have done this with Kayak on occasion and has worked well whenever he over licks his paws and creates a hot spot. As long as there is no infection going on which I couldn't see by the pictures, just a good cleaning will suffice with topicals. I am attaching a couple of pics of a good way to bandage the paw and is quite effective. Hope this helps.

post-6713-13586059578236_thumb.jpg

post-6713-13586059574841_thumb.jpg

heres an updated pic , its looking much better now i think :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52683[/ATTACH]

Yes Nix, it does look like it is healing quite well, I can see granulation tissue forming withing the cut, which is a good sign, no severe redness or infection going on. Continue with what you are doing!

Now you have your own experience to share with the next person who comes in with a dog with a cut pad. Yeh, they look bad and like a cut on our heads, they bleed like blazes for a while, but if they're kept clean and dry ( HAH! ) they normally heal well and fairly quickly.

Ya dun good girl!!

I've been told her pad looks infected now :-( can't add pic on my phone , I'm gonna ring the vets when they open n beg them 2 see her now but let me pay on payday as I have no money :-(

Hmm it seems 2 have added the pic for me :-S let me know if u can see it or not

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

post-95-13586060217825_thumb.png

Nix hun your the one that can see it for real, ya can't always tell from a pic they can look worse than they are. your not daft if it got infected you would know and i know you'll do what needs to be done. give skyla a big hug xxxx

Thanks hun I've sniffed it n there isn't any kind ov smell that would indicate an infection I think what I'll do it see what dad thinks as he usually knows what he's on about with dogs lol n see how she is over the weekend n take her on Monday if it doesn't look any different/better , it does look better in person then in the pic it's hard 2 get a good pic ov it

feel for it being warmer than the others as well, just keep an eye on it and keep it clean. not sure i'd walk her on it for afew days to be honest as walking on it could reopen it, let her rest up give it time to close.

lol yes i know she will drive you mad but she'll thank you in the end and wont cost in the long run xxxxx

You got my message through FB this morning for us and afternoon for you. Wanted to say, just keep in mind her pad are at the lowest point on her body and all of her weight is upon them so that will create fluid build up down there. Try to keep her off her feet as much as possible, if you can. Just keep it clean whenever possible. Try to keep it covered whenever outside by putting a sock or bandage on it. :)

[MENTION=95]BingBlaze'n'Skyla[/MENTION]

Hey Nix, must have been a misunderstanding, you certainly did thank us on FB on Skyla's paw. We just wanted to let you know here on HO as well as FB, the one thing you have always shown is appreciation and we are always here for you. You can even leave messages on FB for us. Have a wonderful day.

[MENTION=95]BingBlaze'n'Skyla[/MENTION]

Hey Nix, must have been a misunderstanding, you certainly did thank us on FB on Skyla's paw. We just wanted to let you know here on HO as well as FB, the one thing you have always shown is appreciation and we are always here for you. You can even leave messages on FB for us. Have a wonderful day.

I meant I did get your reply on facebook , thank you :-) will teach me to use some punctuation won't it lol :-P thank you again sorry for the misunderstanding

The pic from this morning actually looks better to me since it's dryer which means that the pad surface should be gradually covering it over.

Don't you wish you could ask "Well, how's it feel?" and get an answer.

Lol yes! Wouldn't that make life easier! Lol

Hi, glad to hear/see Skyla's paw is healing.

Excuse me for butting in but can I just post a pic of Maya's pad that she cut/split on Saturday tea time.

I too have never experienced this before and have been just bathing with salt water and keeping either a bandage or sock on.

Nightmare trying to keep Maya off it. She has the 'lampshade' collar on to try and stop her biting.

This pic was taken just after it was done.

I will post an up to date one in the morning.

My concern is that the outer/surface layer is gaping open so much I wonder if it will ever close back together?

I want to avoid an unnecessary vet visit, but if it does need a stitch or two then I don't want to put off the inevitable.

Any comments/help welcome, but I'll put another picture on tomorrow.

post-5981-13586061098983_thumb.jpg

It looks a lot like skyla's did I'm using savlon first aid wash on it n keeping it covered for walks , I've also trimmed the fur around it away cuz it's really long n kept getting stuck 2 the wound , I'd just do what I'm doin keep it clean and dry n keep an eye on it see how it goes I'll get a pic ov skyla's tomorrow aswell so u can see what it's like now nearly 2 weeks on n nearly healed up :-)