Playful barking

JBnab

I am just frustrated with Zoya. First of all, our other dog Molly isn't a big barker and only barks if someone is at the door (or if she gets fed up with Zoya, she will bark at her). Our other dog Kate, never barked. Never. She only "woooed". Zoya seems to bark a lot. I would say 90% of the time, she is barking at Molly, wanting her to play. Molly doesn't always want to play. One solution is to separate them and put Molly outside (Molly is really more of a house dog and wants to be around people but does tolerate this to some degree). I try to distract Zoya with toys and play. She just wants Molly. Sometimes Zoya barks as a way of "talking back". Is there something we can do to get her to stop (or cut down on) the barking? Is there a chance she will out grow some of this?

post-8026-13586059108645_thumb.jpg

I read that puppies tend to bark a lot because of curiosity (you know they haven't learned much about the world) but they'll grow quieter at some point. Still, it is always a game of gambling. There ARE talkative huskies out there and Zoya might be one of'em. What you can do right now is to teach her the word "quiet" :) tell her "quiet" and when she stopped barking right when you say that, be quick and praise her before she resumed barking. You'll be surprised how many times that 'coincidence' would happen ;) just remember to be quick because she won't stop for long!

But please be noted that the command "quiet" would not make Zoya a quiet dog. She would still be talkative if that's the trait she's born with but at least you'll have a little control over her noise. Once she started to pick up the command, try to keep her quiet for longer period of time before praising her. Don't make a huge leap and go from 1 second to 5 tho. If she previously stayed quiet for 0.5 second and now improved to 1 sec, praise her. Every small baby step counts ;) don't expect too much since she's just a curious little puppy, but I believe she'll pick up the command faster than you think ;)

Thanks! I do try to say to Zoya "Quiet" and will lower my voice/whisper to get her attention. I will keep trying that. I also realize she might be more talkative. My hubby actually seems to like that. We always thought it was a little strange that Kate never barked. Zoya doesn't howl or woooo and we miss that from Kate. We loved her husky howls! :)

Agree with the above Kiana always "yells" when she doesn't get her way so I've had to work on her quiet command constantly. Like any stubborn husky it's been a challenge but pull out a piece of cheese and the big ham will do anything haha. Just got shape that little puppy mind while it's young and she'll learn :)

Thanks again. I have been working on "quiet" with her. Also, when she starts, I banish Molly from the room. She seems to be getting that...she stops barking when Molly isn't there. Earlier she only barked once or twice and I said "Molly, out" and she stopped. I have to be more motivated about this now because we have to try to keep things on a quieter/less activity level for Zoya.