4 or more?

Just something thats been running through my head.

How do people with 4 or more huskies cope?

Just curious I guess, I know a few people do have loads and I just wondered.

It must take ages to walk them all, feed them all, exercise them all. Is there enough hours in the day?

I must admit, it is hard to say no. I really badly wanted my third, heck id have a whole houseful if I thought I could cope.

But I do think we are taking a backseat on getting more at the moment.

I don't have 4+ myself, but the two I have are solely for me to deal with - my parents, siblings, or old housemates didn't help me out, so they're not a shared job, and I wondered how I'd manage with two, especially on walks. But it's been so much easier than I thought it would be, I reckon if I were to get another one right now (providing it's a puppy so I could teach it my way from the start) I'd be able to cope with 3 by myself easily. Can't comment on 4 or more, but again I think if I had the chance to train them all myself from the start I could cope with loads :D

Depends on the dogs I suppose, I can walk my 3, Gem really doesn't have to be on a lead but in case I get distracted with the huskies I generally keep her on anyway, but the huskies both walk pretty well, (mostly on their canny collars but not always). Then again I don't have too many idiots with dogs around here who could cause me any hassle. There is one person with a lab and a patterdale who are always off lead and she is always on her phone so the dogs just run up to us, but I understand others have had words with her. One person in particular has rehomed a large dog from abroad and is working very hard to rehabilitate her and these 2 cause him a bit of hassle. The only other issue I have to deal with is tractors at sillage time when they use our little road like a racetrack.

sometimes I find 2 hard work, when they are tearing up the house playing or dragging me down the street.

Yesterday at the show was really hard, storm was on the go all the time trying to drag me over to see EVERY dog he saw! Trying to get him to stand nicely in the ring was tricky.

But we plan on going to more shows so maybe he will get better.

But other times I look at them and my heart swells with Love and pride.

worth the hard work? sure they are,

My boyfriend and his ex-wife had 5 dogs at one point. They were not all Huskies (only 1 was). They seemed to manage fine (based on what my boyfriend told me), but he would not walk all 5 at once. :-)

lol visions of :dog3:

In my experience, four in house isn't a problem. They do their own thing most of the time, except you have four dogs follow you from room to room. It's 4x the hair, brushing and shaking up walls, marks on doorways from where they skirt the paintwork. If you're not house obsessed it helps.

Feeding isn't a problem. They all sit an wait for their food then are told they can take it. Walking is a bit of an issue, I can take four out at a time but rarely have to. I think because it doesn't happen often it's harder. If I'd done it from day one it would be easier. I can manage three no problem. Four when they first set off or go after a squirrel or rabbit is comical in a way but flippin hard work :)

As for room. I live in a three storey town house, living room upstairs kitchen diner down plus integral garage so nothing above average in size. And there are six adults live here plus alternate weekends my partners two stay who aren't child size but full size adults. Then the four dogs two cats and a rat. We don't live on top of each other and it's all fairly quiet on any one day. It helps that the huskateers are rarely left alone because there are so many of us around to keep them company. And where as I used to work nights to fit round my children, I now work nights to fit round my dogs lol

From a personal point of view, going from one to two is the difficult bit. Once you've mastered that getting more isn't that much of a change. It was the same when I had my children. Having the second was a big change but having four was a doddle

The only thing we noticed is it's not as easy to go in a pub or get in places to eat with four when we're out and about. Although that's not because ours don't behave, it's peoples preconceived ideas. When we eat out they go under the table an sleep, there's no begging or messing about.

Oh I'd also have more but the OH would leave home, plus we can't fit anymore in the car:whistling:

Edited by Povodny

Not four but like mentioned it depends on the dogs ,, I walk all 3 ov mine together , mum walks bings in the mornings with me then I take all 3 out at 6ish ,, but currently atm they are all sleeping they don't really go crazy tearing round the house they have their moments but it's not often ,, they are very lazy I guess we are lucky

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Depends on the dogs / you / your house etc. Get a walking belt and sturdy boots with grippy soles. And a bigger car! Having two of you helps when walking them. We sometimes feed our in separate areas divided by stairgates as they eat at different speeds and the first to finish may well have a go at someone else's bowl which causes a scrap. We only have three though. Or does Timber count as two? He certainly eats for two and is strong enough for two...

• 1 month later...

Late to the conversation, but with 11 (2 being 14weeks old) let me tell you it can sometimes seem like a full time occupation! However, I can't imagine my life with out them!!! Everyone gets all day outside yard time, we have a very large dog yard for them to enjoy. Exercise doesn't take too long with a walking belt or biking multiple dogs at a time. Transport gets interesting, looking at investing in a dog box for my truck but for now the mega cab does just fine. Feeding only takes 30 mins start to finish. Overall it's an enjoyment more than it is work :)

We have 4 and I walk them together, diesel the pup learns a lot from the adults , I am lucky as my sibes walk quite well,on the lead so he does too. I use my walking belt sometimes. Haven't found it much more work with the 4 but have always had more than 1 dog. The folk,with lots of sibes work them often weather permitting as they wouldn't be able to walk them all. We know a family that has 30+ huskies they work/ show theirs.

We've had 3 for two years Echo (GSD) Darwin and Daughtry (Huskies), and we've just added Malaki (Huskamute)

The only problem is walking them. When you first get them (especially if the are a rescue) they tend to pull and drag like crazy.

So you have to take the extra time away from your others to give them some one on one lead training to teach them to "walk nicely"

We are currently in this stage with Malaki. He's a Huskamute and by size he's more Malamute than Husky, So he's a strong lad.

He's also only around 18 months old so is very playful. His walking is coming along nicely and soon I should be able to walk all 4 with not much extra effort than I did with 3.

On a normal walk I can walk the other 3 holding the leads in just one hand. The three leads are joined together with mountaineering Carabiners.

As for the rest, When you have one Husky you have lots of hair, when you have 4 you STILL have lots of hair. :)

As long as you can afford the Vets fees for shots and boosters and the cost of the extra food then there's no problem.

Once the walking is under control 4 is no different than one. :up:

We have 4 and have to admit they are now our lifestyle!.We fit around them !Our priority with them is exercise.They are extremely well exercised,and in my opinion,it is the key to their behavior.They never,and I stress never,have mad moments in the house,as they are always calm.It does depend on individual dogs,and our are not super hyper,Sass is probably the most lively.

We have a fairly good sized house,so are not on top of each other,and we have a double integral garage,which is the best thing ever.When we come back from walks,if they are wet and muddy,that is where they stay until I clean them up. It does help if you are not too worried about dog hairs and we have rules like no going upstairs,so I 'm happy with that arrangement.

We are a big family,so they are rarely left alone,the most they are left for is 1 hr 30 mins a day and that is only 3 days a week.They are never destructive,never crated and we have no problems feeding them,they rarely squabble and are really well behaved in the house.

The hardest part for me is exercising them on my own.My hubby can walk all 4 at a time,and he runs with all 4 too.I have to get a couple of my girls to come with me if I take all 4,or I can only take 2 at a time.(I am small and weigh about 8 stone,2 have pulled me over 4 times this year so far!!) .We also live in a rural area,so we have great places to walk them,just 10 mins from our house,so again this helps.

Also it is expensive,no doubt about it,last year we had a spell of going back and forth to the vets on a weekly basis for one thing or another,and nothing much could be claimed back from the insurance!!

In our case,we have put the time and effort in,and it has paid off.But it is a huge commitment and one that we are now bound to for the next 10/15 years.But first and foremost ,they are our beloved pets!

My hat goes off to anyone coping with more than 4( [MENTION=7947]tracey8[/MENTION] comes to mind!!).How do they do it!!?:rolleyes:

Edited by basketcase687

I have 8, i'm fortunate that i am able to be at home all day and my husband work's night's so is also at home in the day to help with walking the dog's.

We either take 2 each at a time or sometime's just one each depending on what walk we are going on,my children are older and they sometime's take the less stronger one's for a walk,for me it is a full time job as you can imagine,i have a good routine which helps, none of my dog's are crated ,feeding time is done in about 20 mins i feed them all raw and they are all fed one piece at a time by hand to avoid any bowl arguments,they are all pretty calm but all can have there moment's but they are a way of life for us now and all my time goes on providing and fulfilling there need's.

we have obviously had issues at time's with having such a large pack but nothing that we have not been able to cope with,we just adjust our lifestyle according to them :)

I have 8, i'm fortunate that i am able to be at home all day and my husband work's night's so is also at home in the day to help with walking the dog's.

We either take 2 each at a time or sometime's just one each depending on what walk we are going on,my children are older and they sometime's take the less stronger one's for a walk,for me it is a full time job as you can imagine,i have a good routine which helps, none of my dog's are crated ,feeding time is done in about 20 mins i feed them all raw and they are all fed one piece at a time by hand to avoid any bowl arguments,they are all pretty calm but all can have there moment's but they are a way of life for us now and all my time goes on providing and fulfilling there need's.

we have obviously had issues at time's with having such a large pack but nothing that we have not been able to cope with,we just adjust our lifestyle according to them :)

Well done Tracey!! Still think you deserve a medal,still secretly in awe of you!!:)(I have nightmares dreaming of having 8!!:eek:)

Well done Tracey!! Still think you deserve a medal,still secretly in awe of you!!:)(I have nightmares dreaming of having 8!!:eek:)

Thank you ,lol it is just normal to us now, it is not until someone says you have 8 huskies i start to think maybe we are not so normal lol :)

Thank you ,lol it is just normal to us now, it is not until someone says you have 8 huskies i start to think maybe we are not so normal lol :)

LOL,you are normal on this forum,other than that ,possibly not!!:eek: People think we are nuts having 4,but hey ,who cares !We love our dogs!!:rolleyes: