New addition and new to huskies!!

Claire82

Hi all

We are getting a beautiful 7month boy on Sunday! So excited but so nervous:) we are rehomming him so any advice would be welcome:)

i have received some great info from a different forum and am so appreciative of any advice to ensure we meet our new family members needs

Cheers

I am new to this site and have two children living in Suffolk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find out what food he's on and don't suddenly change it over night! A crate would be useful - depending on his nature - our girl decided to strip the wallpaper when she 9months old and has been crated since every time we leave the house! Plenty of exercise and mental stimulation for him!

welcome to the forum. Definately backing the crate training idea. I have one naughty little girl who pulled off the wallpaper and ripped up all the carpets :confused:.

Also agree with not switching over food too quickly, it tends to give them the runs. yuk! If you run into any problems remember to check out the threads or start a new one as the chances are that someone here will have experience and be able to help you out. Good luck, I bet the weekend can't get here quick enough! Remember to post photos, lots of photos. Otherwise we'll hound you with this symbol until you do, lol.....:worthless:.

Hi thanks for the quick replies:)

I have been to the local pet store today and purchased 2 different leads a short one with shock absorbers that takes up to 65kg and a retractable with webbing also for up to 65kg are they suitable?

As we are rehomming him he already has a halti and leads his current owner uses. He also has a crate but I'm looking into the extra strong ones with difficult locking mechanisms as he is apparently good at getting out unless there are bungee cords securing it!

What is good for mental stimulisation?

We would like when he is old enough to get him used to pulling with a scooter or rig but as he's only 7 months he's too young I believe?

He is currently on iams which we are not planning on changing but did think about increasing his diet by adding raw foods such as chicken?

He is micro chipped and up to date on all jabs etc which is good. We are going to get him insured but not sure the best place to o? My partner works for tesco so can get a discount with them but only want to go with a good company. Although I have read good things about them on different forums?

Goodness so much to think about!

We would love to meet other husky owners to allow him to play and learn if there is anyone in the Suffolk area?

Photos will come soon he is just so stunning and lovely natured:)

Hello there and welcome lots of friendly people here and tons of info, tips, tricks, and personal experiences. For mental stimulus my boys enjoy Kongs stuffed with goodies. Also working on commands and tricks will work their noggins as well. Kuma my husky was also a rehome, took him a bit to settle in with us but now he's a happy part of the family. Good luck with your rehome and HO is always here to help and share :D

Hi thanks for the quick replies:)

I have been to the local pet store today and purchased 2 different leads a short one with shock absorbers that takes up to 65kg and a retractable with webbing also for up to 65kg are they suitable?

As we are rehomming him he already has a halti and leads his current owner uses. He also has a crate but I'm looking into the extra strong ones with difficult locking mechanisms as he is apparently good at getting out unless there are bungee cords securing it!

What is good for mental stimulisation?

We would like when he is old enough to get him used to pulling with a scooter or rig but as he's only 7 months he's too young I believe?

He is currently on iams which we are not planning on changing but did think about increasing his diet by adding raw foods such as chicken?

He is micro chipped and up to date on all jabs etc which is good. We are going to get him insured but not sure the best place to o? My partner works for tesco so can get a discount with them but only want to go with a good company. Although I have read good things about them on different forums?

Goodness so much to think about!

We would love to meet other husky owners to allow him to play and learn if there is anyone in the Suffolk area?

Photos will come soon he is just so stunning and lovely natured:)

I don't know anything about lead types as I don't live in the UK but I guess I can help with the other questions.. Let's see...

What is good for mental stimulation?

You can always start training him the sled commands. He's too young to run (wait until 12+ months old) but doesn't mean he can't learn the commands yet. There are plenty of great advice about mushing here have a look around :D

It's actually down to personal preference but for me 7 months is way too young. They're just teenagers so their joints still need time to grow so I think it's unwise to make him pull any kind of weight right now. But as I said before you can start training him the commands like "gee", "haw" and all those other things. You can also buy him a doggie backpack so that he'll get used to the weight :)

Raw food's good, but if he's not used to it you might want to introduce him to it slowly. I don't feed raw so can't help but there is a sticky thread about raws here. Somewhere LOL

This is exactly why our lovely tech team built us our very own MEMBERS MAP! :D simply pin yourself on the map and you can see who lives near you :)

Congrats on your new addition :D Bet your really excited! Well done for rehoming also :D 7 months old can be a challenging age well i found it was with Shadow anyway! Definately agree with everyone on the crate!!

If hes fine on the food hes on i wouldnt change unless you wanted to .. introducing chicken etc will be great for him :) But make sure you feed the chicken seperate to the kibble dont mix the two together as they digest at different rates. :)

Your leads sound fine i personally dont like the shock absorber leads as feel i dont have as much control as they can pull more towards things as it stretches, retractable is fine also aslong as you dont let him run full pelt to the end of it as this is not what they are designed for.

You may want to look into a walking belt also to save your arms ;)

Hope this helps :)

2more days to go:) very excited!

I think I've gone over board with the leads! Bought a 10m training line yesterday and have ound two brand new leads today whilst clearing out my nans house!

Ive ordered a walking belt, but will prob use lead as well so I have control until we get to the woodlands/ park.

All booked to start training (more for me than Luka)! The trainer has worked with a lot of huskies before which I'm really pleased about as they are not your run of the mill lab;)

I didn't know they digested at different rates! Definitely worth remembering.

Im trying to find some fish treats my local pet shop doesn't have any that aren't full of other ingredients:( any ideas that are not too expensive?

Photos will be uploaded soon:)

We really can't:) its also my partners birthday which makes it even more exciting as a husky is his dream (raised with gsd) and he has always wanted a large pack to rig race:) but I think slowly does it one at a time;) lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...