Interesting words to my "foreign" ears

strackfam

Dedicated to [MENTION=4807]loops[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6436]NicTurtle[/MENTION]

I love reading the interesting terms used in others nations on here. Some of my recent favorites are "going to the loo", "a bit dodgy", and " barking mad" , just to name a few. When I read them it makes me smile. Thank you all for making me smile:)

What terms have your seen recently that you find interesting, funny, or even irritating?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As well as barking mad, there's 'mad as a box of frogs' and 'not quite the full shillin' children are 'sprogs' when they're annoying they're deemed 'ratbags'. There's plenty of others but off the top of my head that's it for now

Great thread! I love that @loops defined "thredded" as "hacked off" which is also a slang word I never hear in the US. lol.

When I first joined I was sort of confused about "the garden" that lots of you talk about as the place where your dogs play. Our "garden" is where we grow veggies and flowers and I'd be pretty mad if my dog was in there. :) I just think its so fun learning all the terms!

As well as barking mad, there's 'mad as a box of frogs' and 'not quite the full shillin' children are 'sprogs' when they're annoying they're deemed 'ratbags'. There's plenty of others but off the top of my head that's it for now

"sprogs" that's priceless. I call my kids "the littles" but I can see myself using sprogs now!

Great thread! I love that @loops defined "thredded" as "hacked off" which is also a slang word I never hear in the US. lol.

When I first joined I was sort of confused about "the garden" that lots of you talk about as the place where your dogs play. Our "garden" is where we grow veggies and flowers and I'd be pretty mad if my dog was in there. :) I just think its so fun learning all the terms!

Theres the front garden an the back garden lol which I used to grow flowers and veg in but alas..... No more lol

My remote control for the TV is called - a dibber

Chuffed - really pleased about something

Get stuffed! - way to tell someone to get lost. However, this is still not a nice thing to say to someone.

Gutted - If someone is really upset/disapointed, like failing their driving test. (a really useful term)

Knackered - Basically worn out, good for nothing, tired out, knackered. (good one to use)

Naff - basically uncool.

Nowt - This is Yorkshire/Manchester slang for 'nothing'. Similarly 'owt' means anything. Hence the expression "you don't get owt for nowt". Roughly translated as "you never get anything for nothing" or "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

Pants - This is quite a new expression but quite trendy to say that something which is total crap is "pants". For instance you could say the last episode of a TV show was "pants".

Pear shaped - If something has gone pear shaped it means it has become a disaster.

Posh - Roughly translates as high class, often used in a derogatory sort of way.

Pukka - Used by a certain young UK TV chef; it means super or smashing, which of course is how he describes all his food.

Quid - A pound in money is called a quid, equivalent to the 'buck' in North America. A five pound note is called a fiver and a ten pound note is called a tenner.

Snog - a kiss! (used as either a noun or a verb)

Sorted - When you have fixed a problem and someone asks how it is going you might say "sorted" or "get it sorted" when you are telling someone to get on with the job (note: another word that sounds better with an English accent, especially when you don't pronounce the 't'!)

Strop - If someone is sulking or being particularly miserable you would say they are being stroppy.

Suss - If you heard someone saying they had you sussed they would mean that they had you figured out! If you were going to suss out something it would mean the same thing.

Ta - Northern slang, short for thanks. Used all the time.

Taking the mickey - What I love about the Brits is the sense of humour, mainly based on irony, sarcasm and an in-built desire to "take the mickey out of someone/thing"...making fun of someone. I love this phrase!

Tara - Pronounced "ta-ra", this is another word for cheerio or goodbye used a lot in the North of England. A lot of people kind of slur it to t'ra.

Whinge - to whine. (another really good word to use!)

We have a front yard and a back yard, but my garden is a small space in the cornr of my backyard that I grow veggies in. Flowers grow in my flowerbeds and borders.

I thought my backyard had truly gone to the dogs at the end of winter when it was a mess, but it came back nicely.

My kids are just called my kids, tho my neighbor calls them youngens or PITA when she's mad at them.

Posh is Port Out Starboard Home to do with the upper class used to travel out on the starboard side of a ship as it was out of the sun for most of the day and vice versa on the way back :)

One of my favourites is plonker (accident prone/stupid) as is div 'you're a div' meaning about the same

There are lots of different ones from around the country even down to in different areas the same word meani g something different.. For instance a moggie to me is a cat, in Wigan not 10 miles away from where I'm from it's an insect :$lol

The posh thing. It used to be on the ticket P.O.S.H hence they were called the posh lot lol

Edited by Povodny

Wow, all that slang spelled out for us! Pants and pear shape - I'll need to remember those. I've never heard either.

Everything sounds more fun with the English accent! But I'm not sure that "pants" will ever make sense to me - even in your accent. lol.

One of the things about American slang that makes me crazy is when someone uses a word wrong and it becomes the new slang. I always feel like "oh, goody we get to celebrate illiteracy" lol I'm a grammar Nazi though.

Is calling something "sick" ="completely awesome" only an American thing or do you guys do it too?

Wow, all that slang spelled out for us! Pants and pear shape - I'll need to remember those. I've never heard either.

Everything sounds more fun with the English accent! But I'm not sure that "pants" will ever make sense to me - even in your accent. lol.

One of the things about American slang that makes me crazy is when someone uses a word wrong and it becomes the new slang. I always feel like "oh, goody we get to celebrate illiteracy" lol I'm a grammar Nazi though.

Is calling something "sick" ="completely awesome" only an American thing or do you guys do it too?

that's making it's way over here but more so with teenagers - when walking my boys lads will come over to me and say "wow lady you've got some sick dogs" I had such a go at someone once when they said that to me before i knew what they meant!!! I told them my dogs are very well looked after and that they were not sick! oops - i really felt my age!

I'm going to have to ask my husband when I get home for some of the slang his players use. (He's an American Football coach) those guys always have some interesting terms. I remember telling him that I saw one of his players and the guy didn't say hi to me. My husband said, "he big timed you?" I had no idea what he was talking about, but now I use that term too.

Just read a few more

you lot

have a go

brilliant

-I know these aree pretty basic, but I love hearing them!

Its daft how you can never think of any when you want them lol minds a blank

Oh potatoes are spuds. Or singular is spud

Edited by Povodny

that's making it's way over here but more so with teenagers - when walking my boys lads will come over to me and say "wow lady you've got some sick dogs" I had such a go at someone once when they said that to me before i knew what they meant!!! I told them my dogs are very well looked after and that they were not sick! oops - i really felt my age!

See, I Know it, even you admit it!!!!!

There quite few Dutch slangs used here but they're so normal I find it hard to remember one right now :rolleyes: Besides, they wouldn't make any sense in English anyway, lol.

For example:

"Alle gekheid op een stokje!"

literally translates to "All the craziness on a little stick!" which basically means you're just surprised :D