Interesting words to my "foreign" ears

strackfam

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aww bless thank you @Rosemary. another loopism is when him indoors or anybody else is being moody they are a misog roughly translated as miserable old git! and your face is your fisog dont know where that came from..

your hair is aka your barnet ie Don King had a really dodgy barnet

rhming slang used commonly in essex and londons east end and apples and pears - stairs..... mince pies- eyes... got to go to work now bah

aww bless thank you @Rosemary. another loopism is when him indoors or anybody else is being moody they are a misog roughly translated as miserable old git! and your face is your fisog dont know where that came from..

your hair is aka your barnet ie Don King had a really dodgy barnet

rhming slang used commonly in essex and londons east end and apples and pears - stairs..... mince pies- eyes... got to go to work now bah

:lolman: excellent .......

My Stepmom says 'have a butchers' or something similar - I presume it means 'have a look' :D she often comes up with some 'corkers' :rofl:

Trying to think of what my Sister's Boyfriend picked up on when he was over here last... I know he laughed every time I said 'bloody'! (which was a lot as I was trying really hard to be polite and not properly swear!) It wasn't so much our slang he loved, it was the no tipping in restaurants and cornish pasties he fell in love with!

When my Sister went to visit him she told me how his parents have a super fancy oven and she commented 'The cooker looks complicated!' and they had no idea what she was on about until she made it clear that "cooker" = "oven" She confused a few people saying "Anti-Clockwise" instead of "Counter-Clockwise" and really weirdly, using "fortnight" instead of "2 weeks"!

Where I live people say "anyroad" instead of "anyway". Cheesed off when you're annoyed or Bees Knees for when something's amazing. "Do" replaces "Party". "Jammy" means you're lucky (normally coupled with the word "bugger" or "git") "Lurgy" meaning you're ill with normally a cold (like "I've got the lurgy!") and "porky pies" means telling lies. All I can think of at the moment :)

Looks like I'm about to kill the English language with some of these but hey ho!

Muppet. As in "you muppet", describes someone who's been a bit dumb. Some people swap muppet with lemon or donkey. Others just say bad words, lol. *shakes head*.

Fag= cigarette. Hubby's cousin came over from Canada years ago and found this very funny??

One expression I have heard too many times and really dislike is "oi, oi, Savaloy". don't ask me what it means, all I can say is some people greet others like it.

Can you tell I live on the borders of south east London? Lol, way too many chavs round here who have a language all of their own!

My favorite part of this whole thread is how you are all using slang/colloquialisms when you define the other slang. I went home and told my daughters some of what I read last night and they about died laughing. Especially at the story of the "sick" dogs. :rofl:

Its hard to think of anything else American. I guess we're not inventive enough. lol. I know when I went to Pennsylvania and told someone "we're just gonna run to the store and grab some sodas" they looked at me like I had two heads. Apparently there is not "running" and "grabbing" done in that town. :)

Every time I think of something I kind of assume everyone knows it. And most of it is used by teenagers around here.

There are a few expressions like "What's good?" when greeting someone. Or the tendency of young men to call other young men "son" as in "That was tight, son. That's how we do!"

fosho = for sure

over it = annoyed or tired of something.

fail / epic fail - and I'm so over my daughter calling out "fail" any time I mess something up. lol

and then there is the old favorite of Californian's "stoked". I'm totally stoked I get to go to Ireland in 7 days!

some that my parents say 'have a shufty' means to have a look

'up my kajani' means i dont know it could be anywhere

'dooberywhatnot' anthing like a phone/remote control

'mooching' looking for something

'squeezing your lemon/having a slash/shaking the lettuce' means to go and pee

cant think of any more at the mo.....

Ahh well we 'pop' to the shops and we buy 'pop' (soda) 'let down' is dilute juice the 'Hoover' is the vacuum cleaner. The other thing I noticed where I live people 'go the Asda' and in Wigan it's 'goin t'asda' for those in the U.S. Asda is owned by Wal-mart and a super/hypermarket chain. Holidays are jollies as in 'I'm Off on me jollies' (vacation) when I was a child we always went to ourgate which is to the bottom of the gate an back meaning no holidays at all lol. In Lancashire we have breakfast, dinner and tea as opposed to some places have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Although if you eat out you go out for lunch and go out for dinner.

The weird one is we all buy fuel in litres but calculate how far we travel in miles lol

Lol sick is used a lot here too as it 'dank and buff' its sounds so silly! Oh yeah and another one when people go around calling their friends 'homies' im like no just no -_- .

Dank = good? :rofl: The thinks people say!

Lets start using Slimy as a compliment. "Girl your hair is looking SLIMY today. What IS your secret?"

In South Africa it is breakfast, lunch and supper. The upper classes have dinner :rolleyes:

Ooh, I've been bumped to upper class!

I love when I read buggar and [MENTION=1752]Povodny[/MENTION] off on my jollies would have a whole different meaning here!:rofl:

one of my favourites is pucker meaning really good and cushty (koosh-tee) also really good.

bosh = usually said once you have completed a task similar to Sorted

Bonus = used instead of brilliant or excellent i.e. your boss says you can have the day off tomorrow you reply Bonus.

brown load = going for a poo

even tho i call the dogs the doofs, the doof in our house is the tv remote control. A weird one i heard my uncle come out with when i visited him in florida was " more bugs than you can shake a stick at!" lol

confusion reigned in australia once lol. what we call sello tape they call durex, and what we call durex are condoms ooooer at first i wondered if you had to wrap it around!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one that confused me when I was younger was American's have "peanut butter and jelly".....in the UK jelly is called jam and jell-o is called jelly ....I thought you had some really freaky sandwiches!!

lol, that was confusing! I also struggled with pants. To the English it's your underwear but on the american tv shows it was your trousers?! Gave conversations a whole new meaning, lol.

The one that confused me when I was younger was American's have "peanut butter and jelly".....in the UK jelly is called jam and jell-o is called jelly ....I thought you had some really freaky sandwiches!!

LOL that always confused me too!