Interesting words to my "foreign" ears

strackfam

lol, that was confusing! I also struggled with pants. To the English it's your underwear but on the american tv shows it was your trousers?! Gave conversations a whole new meaning, lol.

the pants thing always confused me, I always wondered if pants were trousers then what did the americans call pants?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some silly things I say

jack - knick it

tealeaf - thief

doberry - a thingymabob (usually something I cant remember)

for fluffs sake - coz I shouldnt swear in front of the kids

mingos - flamingos

pengs - penguins

oggleboggles - turkeys

you melon, doofus, dipshit - you idiot

• 2 weeks later...

some that my parents say 'have a shufty' means to have a look

No idea where it came from but I'm sure it was used in Only Fools & Horses

'up my kajani' means i dont know it could be anywhere

:huh:

'dooberywhatnot' anthing like a phone/remote control

remotes are sometimes called the 'frank' as in Zappa (zapper = remote?)

'mooching' looking for something

also wandering around

'squeezing your lemon

Doesn't mean having a pee according to a Led Zep song :whistling: - *very* different

having a slash/shaking the lettuce' means to go and pee

cant think of any more at the mo.....

slash I have heard, lettuce shaking is a new one!

Things I learned from my brit team mates while playing "soccer"

It's not a field-it's a pitch

You don't wear a uniform - it's a kit

Cleates=boots

sneakers / tennis shoes=trainers

"Have a dig" was a common phrase...I understood it as take a shot

almost forgot....us yanks pronounce adidas wrong! :D

I think the thing we laughed about the most was when our 3 Brit team-mates got mad the pitch of thier voices got higher!

wish I could remember the rest of them.....

I didn't even realize some terms are British and some others are American! :rofl: my english is gonna be soooooo mixed up LOL

EDIT: let's add some more to the list ;) In Indonesian, a "red mark" means a bad mark (score). And "refreshing" means having fun or relaxing after a long, tiring day.

Edited by mydiamond

A good friend of mine moved from england to the states and tries to cover his accent (for some reason). one of my favorite things to do when i visit him is when we go out to the bar, after we've had a few, i'll try to get him started on something that irritates him. LOL then all the english slangs, curse words, and accent come out. It is so funny!

Sit thissen dahn an' tell me abaht it

See all, 'ear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all,

pay nowt. An' if th'ivver does owt for

nowt, allus do it for thissen

Ee, by gum

Tha’ can allus tell a Yorkshireman,

but tha’ can’t tell ‘im much

Well, Ah'll go to t’foot of ahr stairs

It’s neither nowt nor summat

Put t'wood in t‘oil

Wheere ther’s muck, ther’s brass

'Ey up

An' Ah'll tell thi that fer nowt

More chance of kissing queen

Why i man

just to name a few

sit thissen dahn an' tell me abaht it

see all, 'ear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all,

ee, by gum

tha’ can allus tell a yorkshireman,

well, ah'll go to t’foot of ahr stairs

it’s neither nowt nor summat

put t'wood in t‘oil

wheere ther’s muck, ther’s brass

'ey up

an' ah'll tell thi that fer nowt

more chance of kissing queen

why i man

just to name a few

what??

Sit thissen dahn an' tell me abaht it

See all, 'ear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all,

Ee, by gum

Tha’ can allus tell a Yorkshireman,

Well, Ah'll go to t’foot of ahr stairs

It’s neither nowt nor summat

Put t'wood in t‘oil

Wheere ther’s muck, ther’s brass

'Ey up

An' Ah'll tell thi that fer nowt

More chance of kissing queen

Why i man

just to name a few

Sit thissen dahn an' tell me abaht it - sit yourself down & tell me about it

See all, 'ear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, - see all, hear all, say nothing. eat all, drink up

pay nowt. An' if th'ivver does owt for nowt, allus do it for thissen - pay nothing. and if you ever do something for nothing, always do it for yourself

Ee, by gum - Exclamation of surprise

Tha’ can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha’ can’t tell ‘im much - you can always tell (recognise) a Yorkshireman but you can't tell him much (a play on words)

Well, Ah'll go to t’foot of ahr stairs - well I'll go to the foot of our stairs (An exclamation of surprise)

It’s neither nowt nor summat - ?

Put t'wood in t‘oil - put the wood in the hole ( close the door)

Wheere ther’s muck, ther’s brass - where there's muck, there's brass - meaning Where there are dirty jobs to be done there is money to be made

'Ey up - hi

An' Ah'll tell thi that fer nowt - and I'll tell you that for nothing

More chance of kissing queen - ?

Why i man - Geordie slang for hello

I get a kick out of it (am amused) when you Brits say, "aw bless"! Down in the southern US, they say something similar, "Bless his soul/bless her heart", but in the Midwest, we only bless someone who's just sneezed (or done us a truly major favor!). We usually have breakfast, lunch and supper, but dinner is the largest meal of the day, other than breakfast. In my family, we tend to have Sunday dinners, traditionally somewhere in the afternoon; perhaps around 2:00? "Tea" is something that is drunk, not eaten!

Sit thissen dahn an' tell me abaht it - sit yourself down & tell me about it

See all, 'ear all, say nowt. Eat all, sup all, - see all, hear all, say nothing. eat all, drink up

pay nowt. An' if th'ivver does owt for nowt, allus do it for thissen - pay nothing. and if you ever do something for nothing, always do it for yourself

Ee, by gum - Exclamation of surprise

Tha’ can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha’ can’t tell ‘im much - you can always tell (recognise) a Yorkshireman but you can't tell him much (a play on words)

Well, Ah'll go to t’foot of ahr stairs - well I'll go to the foot of our stairs (An exclamation of surprise)

It’s neither nowt nor summat - ?

Put t'wood in t‘oil - put the wood in the hole ( close the door)

Wheere ther’s muck, ther’s brass - where there's muck, there's brass - meaning Where there are dirty jobs to be done there is money to be made

'Ey up - hi

An' Ah'll tell thi that fer nowt - and I'll tell you that for nothing

More chance of kissing queen - ?

Why i man - Geordie slang for hello

Good old yorkshire talk which doesn't get used much any more any written down look different to how it sounds LOL

more chance of kissing the queen is a term given to people mainly kids pretty much saying no chance.

EG- kids want some money my reply you have more chance of kissing the queen

I get a kick out of it (am amused) when you Brits say, "aw bless"! Down in the southern US, they say something similar, "Bless his soul/bless her heart", but in the Midwest, we only bless someone who's just sneezed (or done us a truly major favor!). We usually have breakfast, lunch and supper, but dinner is the largest meal of the day, other than breakfast. In my family, we tend to have Sunday dinners, traditionally somewhere in the afternoon; perhaps around 2:00? "Tea" is something that is drunk, not eaten!

[h=3]High tea[/h]High tea (also known as meat tea[9]) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 7pm. It is now largely followed by a lighter meal later in the evening.[citation needed]

High tea typically consists of a hot dish such as fish and chips, shepherd's pie, or macaroni cheese, followed by cakes and bread, butter and jam. Occasionally there would be cold cuts of meat, such as ham salad. Traditionally high tea was eaten by middle to upper class children (whose parents would have a more formal dinner later) or by labourers, miners and the like when they came home from work. The term was first used around 1825 and high is used in the sense of well-advanced (like high noon, for example) to signify that it was taken later in the day.[10]

The term “high tea” was used as a way to distinguish it from afternoon tea. Though it is often stated that the words "low" and "high" refer to the height of the tables from which either meal was eaten, the term for the later meal actually relates to the usage of "high" as in the phrase "it's high time".[11] Afternoon tea was served in the garden where possible; otherwise it was usually taken in a day room, library or salon where low tables (like a coffee table) were placed near sofas or chairs generally (hence the fallacy about it being low tea).[12] Most quality hotels in Britain serve afternoon tea, frequently in a palm court, and more recently have offered the option of champagne instead of tea.[13]

Stolen from wikki

Its difficult to understand which is which even if your british

breakfast- easy

dinner- mid day food

lunch- also mid day food

dinner-evening food

tea- evening food

Confused? you should be cos even we don't understand it i think its come from mixing usa and uk together ( movies,tv shows ect) and down the line we have kept both LOL

How about the humble bun? Also known as

Barm cake

bread bun

bap

and

batch

those are the ones I've come across. Anyone add anymore?

Oh and beltin meaning good :) (I had a beltin time)

And sken or skennin meaning looking intensely also skive (said like sky-ve) which is avoiding work, you skive off

Edited by Povodny

How about the humble bun? Also known as

Barm cake

bread bun

bap

and

batch

those are the ones I've come across. Anyone add anymore?

Oh and beltin meaning good :) (I had a beltin time)

And sken or skennin meaning looking intensely also skive (said like sky-ve) which is avoiding work, you skive off

noooo it's not a barm cake! lol it's a muffin - eg you go tot he chippy and ask for a chip muffin, not a chip barm lol