• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am gan yam

Off down't lonnin

Go'in for a scop

Marra

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Now THIS one could bear some translation!

I'm going _______

Off down to London

Going for a __________

(Marra = "tomorrow"?)

Love how so much of old dialects have been preserved! By the way, here in the US, a "muffin" is a type of sweet bread/roll - almost like cake. It often has fruit in it, and a sugary mix sprinkled on top (see Kayak with his blueberry muffin!)...

No, it's breakfast, dinner, tea & supper (snack before bed)

I stop for a break at dinnertime, I don't have a lunchbreak, that's for posh people :P

How can you justify EATING TEA? It makes no sense! LOL - If supper is a snack, then I have supper all day :D Lets not complicate things and just stick to Lunch & Dinner - what is lunch to you? Because, it is a word, and it has a meaning!

LUNCH noun a meal eaten in the middle of the day, typically one that is lighter or less formal than an evening meal.

You can't just pretend the word doesn't exist!:rules:

A muffin's an oover sized fairy cake without the fairy bit lol :cheeky:

i agree. i have the muffin tops and they are deffo oversized, and i'm being a bit of fairy tonight cos i been for a walk around carr mill dam and me foot hurts lol

How can you justify EATING TEA? It makes no sense! LOL - If supper is a snack, then I have supper all day :D Lets not complicate things and just stick to Lunch & Dinner - what is lunch to you? Because, it is a word, and it has a meaning!

LUNCH noun a meal eaten in the middle of the day, typically one that is lighter or less formal than an evening meal.

You can't just pretend the word doesn't exist!:rules:

I drink coffee, not tea :P

Dinner - "Dinner is usually the name of the main meal of the day. Depending upon culture, dinner may be the second, third or fourth meal of the day.[1][2] Originally, though, it referred to the first meal of the day, eaten around noon, and is still occasionally used for a noontime meal, if it is a large or main meal." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinner

See, dinner at dinnertime - 12-1pm (noon)

DINNER (noun)

The noun DINNER has 2 senses:

1. the main meal of the day served in the evening or at midday

2. a party of people assembled to have dinner together

i agree. i have the muffin tops and they are deffo oversized, and i'm being a bit of fairy tonight cos i been for a walk around carr mill dam and me foot hurts lol

Its never going to get better if you make it worse lol

This is really confusing - in school, we were always taught that dinner was typically an evening meal. I also found it confusing when we were taught the word supper which was supposed to be an evening meal too - could never quite tell the difference between them.

It does feel a bit better to know that nobody really agrees on which is which lol. :rolleyes:

As for dinner being referred to as tea, the first time I heard that was when I was in Britain. They never bothered to mention that one in school lol. But strangely, I do think that it makes sense to talk about "tea" as a meal, it is quite similar to some of the wordings we use, so it's not weird to associate it with a meal.

This is really confusing - in school, we were always taught that dinner was typically an evening meal. I also found it confusing when we were taught the word supper which was supposed to be an evening meal too - could never quite tell the difference between them.

We may disagree when to have dinner - early or late, but generally, lunch is served around noon, supper generally late in the day sometime, and dinner is whichever is the main/larger meal, and is used in place of the word that indicates the time of day the meal is consumed...

LOL rob came home and said just gonna go "drop the kids off at the pool" I thought about it for ages and i thought of something completely different to what it actually is.... (poo lol)

that made me giggle. . . thanx :up:

Now THIS one could bear some translation!

I'm going _______

Off down to London

Going for a __________

(Marra = "tomorrow"?)

Love how so much of old dialects have been preserved! By the way, here in the US, a "muffin" is a type of sweet bread/roll - almost like cake. It often has fruit in it, and a sugary mix sprinkled on top (see Kayak with his blueberry muffin!)...

its old cumbrian diatect

Am gan yam = I am going home

Off down't lonnin = I am going down the road / street / lane

Go'in for a scop = going to the pub for a drink

Marra = friend ie - how are you marra

lol theres more - just google it - cumbrian also have different numbers yan, tan, tethera, methera etc (not sure I got the spelling of those right) not sure where they all come from and why

wondering if this works for American/British English as well? In Indo if you say "he's playing ball" it means "he's playing soccer". If you say "I'm watching ball" it means "I'm watching a soccer match" :P

Soccer/football isn't nearly as popular as a sport in the US as it is elsewhere in the world, although it has become immensely popular as a sport for children, in the last some years! If a person is playing or watching "ball", I think it would depend on the season as to what they were playing or watching... In summer, baseball, during the autumn it would almost certainly be American football, and during the winter months into spring, basketball. More often, we'd say what kind of ball a person was playing or watching... "She's watching baseball" or "He's playing football (American - it's implied, since we call what most of the rest of the world calls "football" soccer).

Edited by sutsibe

Cabbaged is used in our house a lot. You're cabbaging on the couch watching television or you're Cabbaged (tired) or Cabbaged (Brain not working)

simple :)

Oh an going to have a day where you just cabbage. (do nothing)

Edited by Povodny

• 7 months later...