separation anxiety. HELP! feeling trapped.

jroberts1

Can anyone help me. Nanook is nearly 2 yrs old and has never been left on her own as she screams the place down if you leave her for a coul

ple of minutes. if i want to go out i have to wait till my daughter or hubby at home. we can never go out together as a family, i can't even go for a doctors appointment unless i arrange for someone to be in a the time. iv'e read dog whisperer books and victoria stillwell, but i'm getting nowhere. i'm starting to get depressed as i feel trapped. i've thought of another dog for company for her and a playmate but i worry wether i could walk 2 of them as Nanook is very strong on her own, plus the expense of 2 and it would probably have to be a dog more her size as she plays too ruff with smaller dogs. she gets loads of exersize and iv,e tried tireing her out before i leave but it makes no difference.

what can i do.:(

I read a fair few books which I found didn't really help as you need to put it into practice and every dog is different. Most often than not it is when you leave that the dog becomes anxious, you need to neutralise the transition of you leaving. You can do this by getting ready as you do when she becomes anxious sit down, keeping doing it until she has no reaction then moving on to going out the door and coming in - increasing time etc etc, taking a walk round the block, going to the shops, anything which gets both you out and gives her time to be alone (there is a thread on this in the training and behaviour section which ,ight be useful for you). My boy used to hate us leaving through the front door as he could see us go through it so we used the side door and it seemed to work.

I also use Bach oil, a natural remedy which you can get from Holland and Barrett for around £6 which calms them; I found it useful as when Sam was anxious there was no reasoning with him. I put it on his food or run it into his neck and put it on his bed, humans can use it too which is great; if you feel anxious about leaving her yourself take some as she will feel it coming from you. Try to remain calm when leaving her and up to leaving her as well, it can be difficult but it helps as they go off your feelings.

Another this is if she likes a Kong or chew leave her with something to take her mind off it, eventually she might recognise it is her time and enjoy being alone. I did do this but my boy eventually didn't care for a chew and just sleeps. I leave my pillow with him and the TV on loud so he has a little company.

Finally, if you spend all the time with her try to separate yourself. Going in another room or just getting her be elsewhere throughout the day would help it just gives them some alone time, showing it is ok and getting her used to it.

I hope any of this helps. Don’t feel bad for leaving her, a good guess is that she sleeps most of the time you are there so she will do the same when you aren’t there...

A mate would be the best solution ^^ but there are many other solutions which are easier.

You'd had to habituate your dog when he was puppy but by many reasons it wasn't possible. The first you must do is habituate him to stay alone.

Have you got a big window or a big glass door where he could look at you? Like this: Patio-Door.jpg

If the answer is 'yes', you must start with that window... go out and stand there while he's watching you. If he is relaxed (doesn't bark, scream, howl, etc) come back into your house and reward him with some treat and caresses. Next step is the answer "no" hahaha

If the answer is 'no', leave your dog in front of the door (indoor, of course), and then go out... he will smell you through the door. When you realise that he's relaxed (you can't hear screams, barks, or howls), come back into your house and reward him with some treat and caresses. He must feel that you're very very happy. You also can say him "Stay" or your staying command before leaving home. Do this exercise 5 times every hour.

Ok, the next step will be able to do when he were relaxed... the second day probably. He'll feel that you're there out and you'll come back if he's relaxed. Go out for some minutes, and pay attention to his behaviour (you could ask for help to your daughter).

If he doesn't get relaxed in 3 minutes: Come back into your house and don't give a damn about Nanook, just straight past to the restroom or bedroom. Wait a minute and call Nanook, then you can reward him (not much because he didn't it well)

If he gets relaxed in 3 minutes: Come back into your house, sit him and then reward a lot (because he did it well).

Following this pattern or standard exercise, increase the time: 5 minutes, 7minutes, 10min, 15min, 20min, 25min, 30min, 35min, 40min, 45min, 1h, 2h, 3h...

Some more tips: buy a kong and let him play with it when you go out... he'll have fun for hours with his -full of food- kong.

You also could exhaust him before leaving (if you have got time to spend...)

And it's very important not to say "bye bye" or "hello" to your dog, just straight past. (It's theory because I CAN'T not to greet my dog when I come back home ^^)

I've forgotten another thing I wanted to say... :oops If I remember it, I'll post it later. Good luck :D

we normally say that another dog will keep them entertained but i see you live on a narrow boat!!!!!

that would make normal s/a treatments a bit hard,

have you tried a d.a.p collar???

they are available from pets at home stores and from vets practises...

speak to a vet and see if they can suggest anything.....

she gets loads of exersize and iv,e tried tireing her out before i leave but it makes no difference.

What kind of exercise is she getting? Mental stimulation vs physical stimulation can make a difference. If she is mostly exercised on the same walking route or in the backyard, those repetitive things can still lead to boredom. Getting her into an activity that makes her think such as rally obedience or agility could help and will make her sleep way better than just a standard walk.

Getting another dog to aid Seperation Anxiety isn't the best idea as it could just result in double the problem.

I run the Husky Education Learning Program in the UK, and travel around helping people with their huskies. Im in Suffolk at the moment but I am from Birmingham and am traveling to Milton Keynes today to work with a husky. So as you can see, I get around a bit.

Fee's? All I ask is that you pay my train fare for me and then if you can, make a donation on top for my time.

Give me a shout if you'd like me to come along and we'll work together. http://www.staceythedogtrainer.co.uk

Stacey xxx