Am I being ripped off?

MikeEcho

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a pair of Siberian Husky pups (after lots of research I believe I can handle their needs). I found a seller that was advertising a pair of "pure" huskies. They claim they have papers for the parents, but today they told me the papers have been misplaced.

I have an image gallery of the parents here. Specifically the father looks like this

HZqQk.jpg

XJVZI.jpg

Am I being taken for a ride?

Also, even if the "purebred" status is questionable at best, if both parents appear healthy and the puppies are checked by a vet before sale, would there likely be any health problems due to not being purebred? Sorry for my ignorance, I've owned dogs all my life but never purchased an uncommon type before.

Edited by MikeEcho

Well, tough question. I have no idea if there's something fishy going on or not. To play it safe, I would walk away. If the breeder can't find the papers, must not be very professional at when it comes to breeding. That alone would send a red flag up the pole. Chances are, the breeder has not had the eyes checked by a optimologist (vet type), nor had the hips scored. Both types of tests are done after a mature dog reaches the age of two, and done to ensure the gentic issues that cause eye diseases in Huskies and hip problems are not prevalent in the subject dogs, and therefore, they should be fine for breeding.

Hope you've not put down a deposit. I simply would not feel comfortable with acquiring one, let alone two pups from a breeder that can't find the papers. Makes you wonder what else may be missing. Not much help, but keep looking. It takes time to find the right dog and the right breeder.

<< laughing >> in the title of the thread ....

lol but not if you have no information. to be just asked am i being ripped off can not have an answer if you're confused see beckys interesting things going on the forum thread

I wouldn't walk, I'd run.

Neither of the dogs in the pictures look like good examples of the breed. Registration papers are valuable items for responsible breeders and if they are misplaced, breeders will order copies from the registree asap. I would take a look at www.wonderpuppy.net for some things that could clue you into irresponsible breeders.

If you are not really worried about whether or not the pups are purebred, I would visit either your local shelter or a good breeder. Most will actively participate in breed rescue and can locate a pair of pups in need of homes. Otherwise make sure that the breeders are doing all the health tests to help control genetic diseases and to ensure that you aren't dealing with a 3 year old dog gone blind with cataracts or lame with hip displaysia.

Edited by jmscott

Any reputable breeder would have the paperwork filed neatly and easily located. The paperwork including Hip Scores, Eye Certifications, Burcelosis results, and 5 generation pedigrees of BOTH parents should be made accessible to the prospective buyer. IF these documents are not available a web site such as CERF and PawVillage should be provided to verify lineage and minimal testing results. Without these documens how can you be certain you are getting what you paid for? I'd walk away and never look back....puppies are cute but they can come with a world of long term health issues without proper care and responsibility that starts with the breeder.

I know in Canada its illegal to sell or advertise a dog as purebred if the dog itself is not registered and if they cant produce papers I would assume they are probably not because like Huskymom said proper breeders keep track of everything. I don't think there will be specific problems with a dog because its not purebred but anything could pop up its nicer to get a purebred because proper breeders have tested for generations to make sure that issues are not popping up in their dogs. I would probably walk away from this one and look somewhere else. Does Australia have a Kennel Club? you could start there they usually have preferred breeder listings.

Purebred isn't necessarily the same as "well-bred". As was pointed out earlier, a good and reputable breeder will make sure that the prospective parents are free from hereditary diseases, such as hip dysplasia and the various genetic eye diseases the breed is subject to. While it's true that even puppies from backyard breeders and puppy mills need homes, buying puppies from them encourages them to produce more badly bred puppies, some or many of whom may have painful diseases which are expensive to alleviate (note: not "cure"!)...

It's quite rare for everyone in one forum to agree on something, let alone 2 different forums, so I will take your advice. I'm looking for Pets, not necessarily Show-grade, so I might start looking at shelters/rescues. Thank-you everyone.

It's quite rare for everyone in one forum to agree on something, let alone 2 different forums, so I will take your advice. I'm looking for Pets, not necessarily Show-grade, so I might start looking at shelters/rescues. Thank-you everyone.

yay thumbs up for rescuing :D good luck :)

Well, I continued looking, and found this little guy

boy2_1small.JPG

From a breeder who has produced some amazing dogs, won a stack of awards, and really seems to know her stuff. And he was the same price as the first dog I was looking at.

Well, I continued looking, and found this little guy

boy2_1small.JPG

From a breeder who has produced some amazing dogs, won a stack of awards, and really seems to know her stuff. And he was the same price as the first dog I was looking at.

Aww he's a stunner :) love his facial markings but he may lose that as he matures