Jumping

kmorganp

The one thing I have had trouble with when we walk up to people is Kyra just wants to jump on them and shower them in kisses. With children it scares them and I don't want them to be scared of her. Plus she needs to learn to not jump on everyone. We worked on sit for greeting in her puppy class but it's just not sticking. Any suggestions on how we can work with her?

From a training guide, hope it helps

• Don‘t praise your puppy after he jumps on you. Instead, ignore himcompletely. Your dog will usually try to confirm that you‘re ignoringhim by jumping even higher. Do not give him ANY attention (evennegative attention).

• After your puppy stops jumping around and sit in puzzlement. Assoon as his fours are on the ground praise and reward himgraciously.

• Keep it consistent – you can‘t let him jump on you some days andnot let him other days. Don‘t let him do it. Period.

It is very difficult to stop them from jumping. Kojee used to jump up on everyone and only in the past 6 months has he toned it down. But I find if he gets excited enough he still jumps up. You really need to intervene and stop him. I find sticking out the knee helps. Obviously dont hurt the dog but its more just to push the dog backwards and off balance. But the most important thing is to correct verbally. The knee thing is more just to get the dog off but you have to let the dog know everytime it jumps that it is unacceptable. I use "Kojee down!" and i will go up to him and point down. I use it when he jumps up on the couch or anything like that and after enough corrections he knows he is not supposed to do it. It really helps to tell the people he is meeting to do it to because he needs to be told by everyone not just you. If you have a friend coming over tell them ahead of time to tell the dog to get down. It sucks always having to be the bad guy. Kojee is definitely 10 times better than he was a half a year ago. I think a big part of it is just the level of excitement. I dont know what it is but huskies are real nose boppers.

Klous never used to jump and then i made the mistake of teaching him to for hugs. I trained him to jump and give me a hug when i tap on my chest. He started to do it even when im not tapping on my chest but that stopped after i realized it was a mistake to teach him that in the first place. When ever he jumped on me i would always say " OFF!!!" and give him my back and walk away. After a while he stopped doing it. Just be firm with him, if he does it just tell him " off" or "down" whatever you want to use and completely turn around and ignore him. He will soon understand that that type of behaviour is not wanted. But u have to be consistent. Klous now knows that the only time he can jump to give me hugs and kisses is when give a lil tap to my chest otherwise he doesn't do it.

Yeah when we go out in public and she jumps on people I get slightly embarrassed and I tell her to get down but they say "oh no! its okay!" but NOOOOOOO I don't want her to do that! I really need to get her a vest that says in training so people will take it seriously that we are trying to teach her manners and work with her obedience training. I tell people we are training her and they just laugh at me.

If you stop to talk to people,tell the people you meet to totally ignore your dog,as if she is not there.No eye contact or even looking at her.

If your dog attempts to jump on anyone,tell them to turn their back and ignore her.She will soon get the message that jumping does NOT get attention,but the opposite.

I have asked people that approach me in the grounds where I live to practice this,and it works really well.

Dogs react to the people and how they behave upon approach.

As I have 3 huskies, I don't want anyone to be knocked over or jumped on and this method is the one that works for me.:)