Safi isn't to well

Povodny

My little girl isn't feeling to well. She's been fabulous for months and this last two days she's gone very quiet, off her food, being sick ( bile) and very sorry for herself.

We'll be taking her for bloods done as soon as possible. I'm watching her eyes and gums. There's no swelling on her stomach. I'm hoping she's just got a little bit of heat stroke as its been very humid these last few days

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope Safi is feeling better soon.

Do you know if she's drinking enough water as dark wee is a possible sign of dehydration?

It was her first pee of the day at half six this morning when I came in from work. Since I've been up she's not been outside so it could be that but it was definitely darker than her usual morning pee. She has access to water and does drink. I wondered if it was the humidity at the moment. We went out for a walk the day before an when she came back she drank an was sick. She's been quiet since.. We were only out an hour and most of the walk was covered with trees. I'm hoping it's just the heat. It sounds terrible but because she's so 'normal' you forget she's actually quite delicate. And recently she's been bounding everywhere and very playful. Even towards Peppa!

Safi is a lot brighter today. She invoked the usual morning wake up howl that has been sadly lacking since Wednesday and is enjoying her special turkey an rice breakfast an dinner. Her pee is still quite dark but not as dark as it was.

I do believe she's playing to an audience now though to a certain extent

Im just relieved it wasn't a relapse and more of a blip. Sadly though we'll miss ingleton as I think it would be too much to soon for her.

Had Safi to the vet today. Was nice as we saw Anna who originally diagnosed her condition and when we took her for her booster a few weeks ago Anna was thrilled at well safi was.

She suggested holdi g off on the blood test as it will only tell us what we already know which is Saf has a damaged liver. She checked her over and couldn't find anything obviously wrong, heart is fine temp is normal eyes are a little yellow gums ok. So she's put her on antibiotics to see if that helps. Checked Safi's weight and she's lost .4kg so that's not bad. All we can do is wait and see if this helps and if she worsens the. Have a blood test done. We picked up her repeat prescriptions while we were there. Fingers crossed she improves.

It's eerie having such a quiet house. She's barely uttered a sound all week and she's usually the ringleader who starts the howling.

It's really difficult when our little one get sick and can't tell us what they feel. We can only guess, most of the time, and hope that we're right and everything will work out. [MENTION=1752]Povodny[/MENTION], you comment that Safi has a damaged liver - how did that come about and are you really sure?? There are so many things that can cause off-colour urine that I'd hate to jump to something and be wrong (( 'course being wrong about a damaged liver could mean that she's better and it's not ... << hoping >> ))

It's really difficult when our little one get sick and can't tell us what they feel. We can only guess, most of the time, and hope that we're right and everything will work out. @Povodny, you comment that Safi has a damaged liver - how did that come about and are you really sure?? There are so many things that can cause off-colour urine that I'd hate to jump to something and be wrong (( 'course being wrong about a damaged liver could mean that she's better and it's not ... << hoping >> ))

I understand where you're coming from about jumping to conclusions but last September safi was diagnosed with liver failure. It was apparently so advanced (no liver function at all) the veterinary hospital she was referred to from our own vet told us she had approximately 10 days, possibly 3 weeks to live. Amazingly she managed to turn it around as the liver can recover it just depends how great the loss of function is.

She was 2yrs9months at the time and they believe as there has never been any trauma she must have had slow loss of liver function from birth. (chronic liver failure) she's on permanent medication for liver support (denamarin)and takes medication to reduce acid in her stomach (omeprazole) which helps stop her feeling sick. She has irriversable damage internally (liver shunts)from her body attempting to bypass the problem of her liver (portal hypertension). The liver shunts extend and encompass her other organs to a certain extent. That's basically what's happening on the inside. On the outside up until two weeks ago she was a happy bouncy opinionated bossy cheeky chimp who appears to all intents and purposes very healthy. And she is, for a dog with her condition.

She's so much better this week, I'm not sure if it was the antibiotics or just simply the weather has returned to the British norm. That is anything from 12 to 17 degrees. Cool wet damp grey cloud and drizzle. In other words a typical summer unlike when she took a down turn and it was 26-28 and very very humid.

Thank you for your support, it's easy to think the worst and it's good to have someone remind you things aren't always as bad as they seem

Any updates for us???? Pweaze!

Shes improved immensely since the weather has cooled and the humidity has gone. She's still being picky about food but she's been bugging mme about going out and we took her round sankey on Saturday which is two hours and recovered well

Thanks for the support :)