Baby orca born in Japan

Hyshqa

No one will care about this as much as I do :redface1: But this is still SUPER cute, so I thought I'd share. The article is badly translated so I've tidied it up:

"A baby killer whale is born at "Kamogawa SeaWorld Aquarium" in Kamogawa. The mother "Lovey", who was born at the aquarium and was Japan's first baby killer whale to survive, was due to give birth next month but started showing signs of labour from around the 16th of this month, and the calf was born around 6:30pm on 19th July while being watched over by their keepers. The baby is thought to be female, is approximately 2 meters long, and weighs about 160kg. She is being nursed by Lovey, who's sister Lara has become the calf's aunt."

post-2580-1358606025196_thumb.jpg

post-2580-135860602617_thumb.jpg

post-2580-1358606026462_thumb.jpg

How cute is she?? :wub::heartbeat: There's at least another 3 or 4 pregnant females due within the next couple of months, including one at Loro Parque where I'll be going in November, so hopefully I'll get to see a tiny little baby!!! :D

thanks for the article :D I have just known that you call baby whales "calf" :P have they named the baby yet? I am thinking about "Dovey" LOL so the mother-daughter pair can be called "Lovey Dovey" LOL

Yeah the babies of any species of whales and dolphins are called calves :) Females are 'cows' and males are 'bulls'.

They've not named the baby yet, that usually takes a couple of months so they can get to know it's personality ;)