oversized husky?

Barb

My male is 5 months and 2 weeks old. He is 22" ast the shoulder and 48 pounds. We have been told by the vet and other husky folks that he is off the charts huge. The vet says he is actually skinny for his size. I do know that he is almost as big as the full grown male across the street and he's already seriously bigger than the adult female near here. I cannot finhd sany growth charts online. Anyone have any info.? Is he really huge?????

Well, he's a big boy, that's for sure. If you check the standard at the AKC (American Kennel Club) Web site breed standard for the Husky (http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/), you can see what a full grown Siberian should be in height, weight, etc. I'm not aware of any growth/stage charts either. The bottom line is, that probably most Huskies don't hit the breed standard on all counts.

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Some bloodlines grow much quicker than others. One of our boys was full-grown at 6 months and winning Best of Breeds in shows against all the adult dogs. By the time he was 2, he was the same size as all our other adult boys. Similarly one of our girls was so huge as a puppy that we named her "Monster" - by the time she was 2 years old she was actually a very petite girl - a bit smaller than average.

Mick

what colour are his eyes? if they have any blue then he will have some husky so he could be a cross.

a malamute has a whole range of brown eye colour but never blue

general weight for a male husky is up to 27kg

height for a male is up to 23.5 inches

as other people have said some dogs mature very quickly.

only time will tell

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate all of your replies. Perhaps this will mean he is just a precocious grower. Despite having passed "puppy" school, he is a real "puller" and he's already getting to the size I cannot hold him back LOL I do not think he has malmute in him, his dad is AKC registered, and his mom is very petite. His eyes are crystal blue. I do know that on the AKC chart, he is near disqualification size already...I don't care, he is our "baby", and we do not intend to show him. My HUSBAND got empty nest syndrome!!! Diablo is his new "boy".

My pup grew pretty quick up till 6 months, he is 9 months now and growth has slowed right down. If your boy continues to grow at that pace he will be a big boy! But you may notice that he slows down. Luka is still big for his breed standard, I think around 25" at the withers and very lean at 58lbsish. He is still not huge and still smaller than other larger breeds like GSD etc. Hope this gives you a bit of an insight as to what to expect :) Good luck with him and enjoy every puppy filled moment - they grow so quick!

edit: in the last 3 months he has probably grown an inch and put on roughly 10lbs. which is only a fraction of the grown up till 6months.