Husky never howls

RickyT

My husky Tundra is pretty much completely silent. He will barks at me and my kids when we are playing and he wants to join in or wants the attention but even that is rare.

My sons and I try to get him to make any kind of howling or noises by howling and wooing ourselves but he just looks at us like we are weird. Is a silent husky normal?

Sasha is almost completely quiet unless she wants something then it's a fairly good bark... Even when I play vid from the forum she isn't - generally - interested.

Avalanche on the other hand, tries to talk - it's not a normal husky awoo or even a bark ... like him, it's weird.

So as you've been told, different dogs different ways - almost anything is "normal" for a Husky!

So as you've been told, different dogs different ways - almost anything is "normal" for a Husky!

very well said Al! anything is "normal"....:rofl:

My Alice did a lot of howling and lots and lots of talking, and hardly ever barked if she did it was a watch dog bark that went into howling after the first few barks.

.....and Grace seems to do a lot of 'barking and yipping" with some talking, we are still working on the talking part. I was not prepared this time to have a husky who actually barked in an annoying way like other dogs! lol

It's totally normal :) our old husky cross would only make noises during play or when we'd fetch his lead. Oh, and sometimes he'd howl at night, but very rarely :)

I'd thank whatever you believe in for a quiet husky! I wouldn't swap it for the world but Ryder is a serious talker, he's got at awful lot to say for such a little bear. Sometimes I wish he'd just take a breath and shhh a little!

How long have you had Tundra? Being that he is a rescue, it make take him awhile to show his personality.

Ice didn't make a noise for a good month or so then started barking, wooing, ect when he wanted something...outside or play, and Shadow took two months to bark when he wanted to go outside or play.

Now I can't get Ice to quit making noises lol.....

Luka's quiet - generally. Unless he wants/needs something! Then he'll woo and moan until he gets what he wants. It gets louder, and louder and he'll come right up to your face 'talking' - sometimes I can't control myself and I just burst out laughing because he is such a drama queen. He doesn't like it when I laugh at him and the wooing turns into a really low pitch grumble lol.

I'm sure once he's settled in, you'll notice he'll start making noises to get your attention!

daughtry speaks for food and darwin woos for attention..... darwin howls very very rarely

im glad mine are quiet...at camps ive heard some very loud huskies and the amount of noise would get annoying.

as said above everything is normal for huskies!!!

enjoy the fluffy pup xx

Agree with the others, it really depends on the dog. Ice has only let out a full howl once, the day he was neutered and felt very sorry for himself. It was the most mournful sound I've ever heard. He does like to talk, a lot! Very arguementative is Ice. Bear is very quiet, she likes to bark deeply, "woo" "wooing" at the neighbours she can't see the other side of the fence when she's excited. She does little howls when she yawns or occasionally when she wants to get your attention but that's pretty much it.

Of our 3 Sibes only 1 was at all vocal, the other 2 were very quiet. They're very much like people, each with their own unique personality. My advice would be to enjoy Tundra as he is and don't try to change his personality.

Some huskies are very vocal and others not so much lol each dog is an individual. My boy Kuma is pretty quite unless he is really really hyper in which case he'll woo at us. sometimes he'll whine and bark/grumble when we first get home as he's excited and ready to get out of his crate and go potty. Other wise he's pretty silent.