Spay in the morning!

Kaspar&Kuna

My baba is heading in to the vets tomorrow to be spayed!!:eek: as most of you know she will have stitches and a cone for ten days. Anything I can do to make her more comfortable? I have already arranged for her to stay at my parents (in case Kaspar is annoying her). She has been there for 2 weeks already so she is totally settled and happy there (I go down to her everyday :D) Don't want her to be miserable but she is generally very bouncy, hyper and just huskylike:lolman: I presume she will be a bit subdues for the first few days!

Every dog take the experience differently - most people on here comment about how difficult it was keeping their dog's calm for 10 days afterwards, however I had the opposite problem as Kiska just wouldn't move from her bed for about 7/8 days. I had to literally force her to go out to the toilet, bring her food and water bowls to her bed and such - she literally wouldn't move. Just go by how your dog reacts - provide a nice, comfy place to settle, keep water near by in case she doesn't want to venture too far, but also be prepared to keep her confined to stop her being too energetic :P

Also, I found Kiska did much better with a modified swimming costume on instead of a cone :D I cut a hole for her tail and tied the straps up behind her shoulders so it wouldn't come off and she was happy as larry :P The cone completely freaked her out.

Wow great idea with the swimming gear! I already know she will go insane with a cone, she even hates the WYDWL being put over her head!

I managed to crate train her here before she went to Mam's so she has her crate there and has a porch area to herself, I also have an outside area sectioned off.

Did you guys leave them out or in during the day?

I didn't really have a choice with Kiska, she insisted on staying in! :P But if she were happy to wander into the garden I wouldn't have stopped her - I wouldn't have minded where she was as long as she wasn't bouncing around ;)

Ozzy & Micah were done on the same day, and by the following day they were back to 'normal'. Micah wasn't too keen to run around (girls have more invasive surgery than boys - go figure :rolleyes:), but was quite happy to follow Ozzy around.

My two are very laid back and sleep most of the day anyway, so it was fine. We never had a cone or anything else for them, and they never tried to lick their wounds - maybe because I was with them the whole time. It is amazing how quickly they heal :)

Skyla was fine , slept pretty much most of the day she came home , took her a few days to get back to normal , our vet said she could have really short walks the day after so i walked her on her own for a very slow (to heel) walk for about 5 mins then increased the time every couple of days

Thanks so much guys!! Feeling better now, she seems to know whats going on lol I'm just back from visiting her. I'd say she will want to be out but she's pretty happy once she's with people so I'm going to stay with her while shes healing. I feel like I know what to do now thanks to yer great advice! :thankyou:

Good luck for tomorrow. If she's anything like Bear, she'll want to be close to you whilst she's feeling unwell. Bear bounced back the following day and was very hyper. We tried to use bones, rawhide chews to try and keep her calm. A crate would of been useful but She doesn't take well to confinement of any type, so crate training was something I gave up on in the end :(

Jelly just got spayed too x_o. We ran into a little problem but she's back to normal now and hyper as ever. She keeps trying to jump and I always spazz when she does but for me, she calms down when I brush her fur or give her a toy to play with.

Hey guys! Well she's very very groggy still so she's in her crate nice and quiet. She's the kind to feel a bit sorry for herself so I expect a quiet first few days and we'll see then. The incision is HUGE! Didn't realise it was going to be so big! Hope she won't be too sore now :)

Vets tend to vary but Bear was given long lasting painkillers when she was spayed. So hopefully she will have had some too. Glad she's home now and that the surgery went well. Must be a huge relief to have her home again!