Neutering

LittleLuka

Well Luka will be neutered as soon as the vet okays it and i have a couple of questions as my parents have never neutered their dogs so it's all kind of new to me.

1. He has one undescended testicle... does this add any severity to the surgery? (i'm already going to be a nervous wreck even though it's a fairly minor procedure)

2. When did most of you neuter your dog? The vet is planning on 6 months because of the issue stated above or he wouldve done it sooner. Is that a good age? Too young or too old?

3. The vet has explained some to me about keeping him calm after the surgery but i have a crazy husky lol so will he be calm because he's sore afterwards or will i need to take other precautions? if so what?

4. My vet mentioned pain pills for Luka. I have mixed feelings about these. I've never given them to a dog and i've heard they're not exactly good for them. Is this false? Does he really need him? i don't want him to be in pain by any means but i don't want to give them to him unless it's necessary. Opinions?

Thank you all :)

darwin was neutered at 6 months and he is fine

the undescended testicle will make the surgery harder but the vets will be very experienced in this procedure and you should be at ease with this...

dogs will calm down when they are in pain and he will feel sorry for himself for a few days

with the pain meds its really down to how much luka is in pain.....you may not want to give them to him but you wont want to leave him in pain x

1. He has one undescended testicle... does this add any severity to the surgery? (i'm already going to be a nervous wreck even though it's a fairly minor procedure)

it will be more invasive (like a spay) as they will have 2 'search' for the undescended testicle depending on where it is

2. When did most of you neuter your dog? The vet is planning on 6 months because of the issue stated above or he wouldve done it sooner. Is that a good age? Too young or too old?

blaze was around 16 months old , tbh theres a chance that his testicle could still drop (it can take up to a year old) if its not dropped by a year then they deffinately need neutering as they are more at risk from cancer

3. The vet has explained some to me about keeping him calm after the surgery but i have a crazy husky lol so will he be calm because he's sore afterwards or will i need to take other precautions? if so what?

he will be very chilled out atleast the day he is neutered , is he crate trained? this will help keep him calm , maybe keep a lead on him to help keep him undercontrol if hes really hyper

4. My vet mentioned pain pills for Luka. I have mixed feelings about these. I've never given them to a dog and i've heard they're not exactly good for them. Is this false? Does he really need him? i don't want him to be in pain by any means but i don't want to give them to him unless it's necessary. Opinions?

blaze was only given a pain killer shot n was fine , skyla had pills n was also ok :) they might want to give him pills due to the more invasive surgery

hope this helps

thank you all! it was very informative!

to answer some of the above questions: he is crate trained during the day when i go to work but he throws a fit if im home and keep him locked up. He is pretty good about just laying on the bed cuddling if we're just watching a movie or something. I plan on doing it during a Friday so i can take off work and have him all weekend with me there.

Actually i did not know there was still a chance the testicle could drop. interesting. The vet said he could feel it and he wasn't certain it wouldn't drop but so far nothing. Either way i plan on having him neutered as i will never breed him and i don't see why not.

yes, i was thinking that's why they mentioned the pain pills due to surgery being more invasive.

i'm just a worry wart when it comes to my furbaby. i can't help it haha. but good info. thanks yall!

I had Nikko neutered so I can tell you what I went through, although I am sure every pup is different. I had him neutered at 4 months old. I called around to some vets who refused to neuter until 12 months old. I tried doing research online and it depends on who you ask, there are people who are completely anti-neutering and those who say they will develop problems if they are neutered too young. And then some will neuter as early as 2 months old. I think it is up to how you feel, and the advice of a vet…I wouldn’t base your decision on an opinion of someone who is not an expert on the subject.

I dropped Nikko off at the vets at 8:30 in the morning and they called me at 11am to come and get him! They said it would be an all day thing but he was ready to go right after! When I got him home he slept for a few hours but then was back to his normal self, which sounds like what you would be dealing with. I also have a crazy husky lol! I actually had to get some sedation pills from the vet just to calm him down…I strongly recommend them! He was out like a light and it made it much easier to control. I was worried about him ripping his stitches because he was jumping up and down.

I also used the pain pills from the vet. I could not tell if he was in pain, but I gave them to him anyway just to make sure. He did not have any adverse reactions to it, although he did have diarrhea, but then again from the time I got him until he was 5 months old that was almost a constant thing!