Crating to Much??

Eman

Hi everyone,

I've been feeling a little bad lately about the amount of time our little husky pup is spending in her crate. It just breaks my heart knowing that she's not "free". She is presently 16weeks old and we have her in the crate for housetraining purposes and for her safety.

We do make an active attempt to keep her out of the crate as much as possible, but of course during the work day it can be a bit hard.

The typical day schedule is usually

6am - wake up, pee break, breakfast and a quick morning walk around the block.

630-645ish - Back into the crate while most members of the house get ready for work.

715 - she is let out of the crate to roam around as people are in the kitchen making lunches.

730 - She goes back into the crate. Most people leave for work.

800am - 500pm - she is let out of the crate about every 2hours by my mom to go potty, snacks, and lunch around noon. Aside from the potty breaks in the backyard, she isn't walk or really "let out" for any significant period of time.

530pm - Most people are home from work, we let her out of the crate to roam around and play in the house.

600pm - Dinner time, potty time and usually put back into the crate while the rest of us have dinner.

700-730pm - Walk time / play time / dog park time until about 900pm

900-930 - is bed time for our pup.

The schedule varies here and there on occasion of course, but that in general is our usual day. And she is in her crate always with water, and a few toys that rotate. She occasionally get a kong with peanut butter or filled with snacks.

I ideally would like to be able to trust our pup to roam the main floor, as she pleases (we have baby gates to block off the basement and upper floor).

But until I can truly trust her to not tear up the house, or poop all over the place we have to crate her for safety and monitoring.

I hope I'm not depriving her of anything.

How long is she out of the crate during the times your mom lets her out during the day?

I would say that she's in the crate quite a bit, but thats just my personal opinion. Is there any reason she couldn't be out while your family gets ready for work. I realize that it would mean a bit more work, but with everyone keeping their eye on her, it wouldn't be too hard.

How's she doing with accidents when she is out?

My concern would be that she isn't given enough time out of the crate to teach her humans what her signal is that she needs to relieve herself.

[MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] would be better with advice on this than I........

How long is she out of the crate during the times your mom lets her out during the day?

- as far as the length of time she is out during her potty breaks during the day, i'd say 15min tops... unless its lunch time.

I would say that she's in the crate quite a bit, but thats just my personal opinion. Is there any reason she couldn't be out while your family gets ready for work. I realize that it would mean a bit more work, but with everyone keeping their eye on her, it wouldn't be too hard.

- we mainly get ready on the upper and lower floors, there isn't anyone to watch her on the main floor during this time. I'm sure she would be find by herself, but I'm just a little uneasy about it.

How's she doing with accidents when she is out?

-She does pretty well. She rarely has accidents... i cant even remember the last poop accident, and pee is only if she hasn't been out in a while.. but that is also rare.

My concern would be that she isn't given enough time out of the crate to teach her humans what her signal is that she needs to relieve herself.

@Staceybob would be better with advice on this than I........

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I too am quite concerned that not everyone in the house is able to pick up her signals, I am not always able to pick them up myself, but we try.

She tends to get a bit more "animated" and tends to be a bit more mouthy when she has to go... so we bring her out right away and when she gets back she settles down quite a bit. I'm sure there are more signs, but this is the most prominent one that I can recall.

It takes time to learn their signals. My first was very clear, even to the point of taking my hand and walking me to the door (oh to have another who was so clear in his requests!)

My second, now two years old, was quick to learn that ringing a bell would get her out to do her job the quickest. She was 8 weeks old when I brought her home and within two days, would ring the bell to go out, bless her little heart. It's really an easy 'trick' to teach, just place a bell on a rope on the door handle - each and every time you go out to wee or poo, ring it excitedly and ask if they need to go out. Eventually, ask them to ring it. Reward them with great praise if they should rub against it enough to make it ring, even if it isn't a loud ring.

Ryn used to shake it violently when she had to go, now, she rubs against it to alert us to her needs. If she gets lazy and doesn't ring it, or we are going out without her asking to go, I simply ask her to ring the bell and she will. It becomes habit for them.

I've heard some say that they've had problems with the husky ringing the bell just to get outside to play. I've not had that problem, so am very fortunate, I suppose.

Best of luck and I would consider allowing her more time out of the crate, but you know your lifestyle best. I'm sure Staceybob will have some ideas for you, she's our 'resident trainer' and a very good one. Really knows her stuff.

Personally, I don’t think that it is too much time in the crate. Your schedule is similar to mine is, and has been since I got my pup at 9 weeks old. Here is my daily schedule:

6:00am – 7:00am Wake up, potty, feeding and a walk around the block (3/4 mile)

7:00am – 12:00pm In the crate

12:00pm – 1:00pm Home for lunch, potty break and some play time

1:00pm – 4:00pm In the crate

4:00pm – 10:00pm Out of the crate, potty, dinner, 3 more walks at ¾ mile each and play time

10:00pm – 6:00am In the crate for bed

The only differences in the schedule that someone may be late coming home for lunch. Also, when he was younger he would be let out to potty around 8am when my roommate left. Also, Ive been letting him sleep on the bed with me at night now that I trust him not to jump off or potty inside.

It takes time to learn their signals. My first was very clear, even to the point of taking my hand and walking me to the door (oh to have another who was so clear in his requests!)

My second, now two years old, was quick to learn that ringing a bell would get her out to do her job the quickest. She was 8 weeks old when I brought her home and within two days, would ring the bell to go out, bless her little heart. It's really an easy 'trick' to teach, just place a bell on a rope on the door handle - each and every time you go out to wee or poo, ring it excitedly and ask if they need to go out. Eventually, ask them to ring it. Reward them with great praise if they should rub against it enough to make it ring, even if it isn't a loud ring.

Ryn used to shake it violently when she had to go, now, she rubs against it to alert us to her needs. If she gets lazy and doesn't ring it, or we are going out without her asking to go, I simply ask her to ring the bell and she will. It becomes habit for them.

I've heard some say that they've had problems with the husky ringing the bell just to get outside to play. I've not had that problem, so am very fortunate, I suppose.

Best of luck and I would consider allowing her more time out of the crate, but you know your lifestyle best. I'm sure Staceybob will have some ideas for you, she's our 'resident trainer' and a very good one. Really knows her stuff.

This sounds great. Cj does not alert us when she need to go. In fact she's pretty stubborn and most of the time won't go until were get to the park.

Heya, at the moment I would say that there might be too much in and not enough out. Does she have to be put to bed around 9pm? That means she is then in the crate for 9 hours before you wake up and then only gets around 45 minutes in broken intervals before she is in there for a further 9 hours with a few 15 minute breaks.

That's 18 hours in a 24 hour day being spent in a crate and the bits she is getting out are only in small intervals besides the evening.

I also agree with [MENTION=53]Austinville[/MENTION] that if she spends a lot of time in the crate, you will struggle to see her signs of trying to tell you when she needs the toilet when she's actually out of the crate.

Crates are good for helping to teach them to control their bowels but you also need to know her natural indications, for example, walking towards the door, pawing at you, howling etc.

Stacey xxx

Hi everyone,

6am we get up let them both out, leaving the back door open while we go back up stairs to get read. later we come down to make the lunches they then go back in crate from 7-6 when we get home.

630-645ish - Back into the crate while most members of the house get ready for work. - does she have to back in her crate?

715 - she is let out of the crate to roam around as people are in the kitchen making lunches.

730 - She goes back into the crate. Most people leave for work.

800am - 500pm - she is let out of the crate about every 2hours by my mom to go potty, snacks, and lunch around noon. Aside from the potty breaks in the backyard, she isn't walk or really "let out" for any significant period of time. - is this because no one is home?

530pm - Most people are home from work, we let her out of the crate to roam around and play in the house.

600pm - Dinner time, potty time and usually put back into the crate while the rest of us have dinner. - does she have to go back in her crate, could you not teach her to settle away from you while you eat?

when we get back at six we let them out and they are out until we go bed, depending when that is.

while we eat the are told to either go in their bed or away from the table, but not back in the crate

they are at the moment crated at night, but this is changing.

900-930 - is bed time for our pup.

we was luck that when we got the boys our situation was different that there was someone home pretty much all day. now its different as everyone has moved out.

What do you do at the weekends?

even though we are at work all day, they get walked in the morning and evening, and we are pretty much home all weekend, or they come with us, or left out if we arent giong to be long. they also get a long walk.

as long as she is getting enough time with you and other dogs shouldnt be a problem, she doesnt know any different, which is the way i look at it.

Panda is usually in the crate for 5-7 hours during the day while we are at work and about 8 while during the night. (i let him sleep with me upstairs 3 times a week or so now that he is older)

He gets about 40min- 1 hour walks before crating and 30-40 mins of playtime with my yorkie in the backyard when we get home, he also goes to the dog park twice a week.

is it possible to gate off a small area from 6 am - 8 am before u leave for work?

i gated off a smaller living room for panda so he didn't need to spend as much time in the crate

Thanks everyone for the replys.

We are making an active effort to keep her out of the crate more everyday. It is true that we are having difficulty recognizing some of her potty signals, and that is mainly due to the fact that she isn't really out of the crate long enough to have to potty again.

We are noticing the signs more now, and we do hope we keep her well adjusted and trained well.

We have made a few timing changes that we hope will work.

630ish - Back into the crate while most members of the house get ready for work.

715 - 1030 she is let out of the crate to roam around if someone is home.

1030 - 1230pm - nap time, while whoever is home does chores / lunch

1230-2pm - Out again

2-530 - crate and let out every few hours for potty breaks

600pm - Dinner time, potty time and usually put back into the crate while the rest of us have dinner.

930-1000 - is bed time for our pup.

I really do wish some days i could work from home, or I lived closer to work.... I know patience is key as well with alot of her behaviours, so I'm looking forward to the training, teaching and her maturing a bit more.

Does she sleep in her crate?

If so then I would say yes that is too much time spent crated. Currently one of my dog (diesel - staffy) is crated for much of the day, but he has a good 2-4 hour run in the garden, a good hour walk and he sleeps in our room. He is only crated atm as we have a visiting dog and he is dog aggressive

Could you not take her round with you when you get ready for work (i.e have her in the bathroom while you shower, bedroom while you dress etc) and perhaps put her behind a gate for dinner rather than crate her? that gives her 4-5 hours crate free in the morning and the same in the evening

I would not have the crate time higher than the non crate time personally

Will be good for her to learn whilst you are eating also tbh teach her to not sit and beg etc both Shadow and Skye lay down whilst i eat (they try it on every now and then lol) but they know not to try and steal it etc and to keep away generally :)

I went back and counted the hours Nikko spends in his crate every week. Of course, some days are different than others, but for the most part it is about the same.

Every day, he spends 8 hours in his crate, 8 hours out of his crate, and 8 hours sleeping. That sometimes changes, because if I have to go shopping after work, or have other things to do, he goes back in his crate, so it is possible that he could spends 10-12 hours in his crate some weekdays. Most of the time he sleeps in my bed at night, but if his is being unruly I sometimes put him in his crate. I really don’t count that as crate time because I think he might prefer to sleep in his crate sometimes.

On weekends it is completely different. The only time he is in his crate for between 6 and 9 am because he wakes up early so I will feed him and go back to bed for a few hours. Also, if I have things to do I will crate him while I am out, but if I am going to be gone for a longer time on the weekends I take him a doggie daycare facility that is about a half hour away.

No matter how long he is in his crate, he will still get the same amount of walks per day and exercise, and he is never in his crate for more than 4 hours at a time. I feel this is safer for him rather than letting him loose in the house. I would rather him be safely in the crate than chewing on electrical cords, furniture or garbage. At least I know what he can get into if he is in the crate.

Sounds fine to me since she's still a puppy. I think my dog trainer's motto was a puppy should spend 45mins of every hour in a crate until they are fully potty trained. Of course she doesn't mean that literally, but wants to get the point across that you don't just leave a puppy loose in the house and not pay attention to it.

My girls were crated a lot as puppies. Whenever I couldn't watch them closely, they were in a crate. It helps with potty training and keeps them from tearing things up. The only thing I would change in your schedule (and maybe you already do this) is add at least one short training session every day. Only needs to be a few minutes at first and then gradually longer and longer as your puppy's attention span gets longer. That will help her bond with you more, learn basic obedience, and surprisingly will tire her out pretty quickly.

some people believe in crating, some don't.

Luka is crated for 7 hours while i work but he is out all morning before i leave while i'm getting ready. He either follows me around or goes and plays in the backyard. He doesn't like to be crated while we're home. He is only used to it if we are leaving. if you're worried you're crating too much maybe allow your husky to tag along while you're getting ready. It does take a little more of you watching them but after awhile you develop a routine and it's no big deal.

As soon as i walk in the door the first thing i do is let him out of his crate, we go outside so he can potty, and then he eats and drinks. We then spend the rest of the afternoon (around 4:30pm - 12am) lol we don't go to bed early, playing in the backyard, going on walks, and spending time together in general. He doesn't sleep in his crate but rather with us. He is a spoiled brat and would be horrified if i made him sleep in it. plus, he likes to cuddle. ;)

As for weekends, unless we have to run a quick errand luka is hardly crated at all. When i chose a husky i made sure i would have enough time to spend with him. As long as you're giving him enough attention and exercise and basically developing a relationship with him i think it will be okay. Just like others say, i agree i prefer Luka to be more out than in of the crate.