kper

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to agree with you, its going into the 90s tomorrow for us and they are saying strong storms, fun fun NOT a/c has been running overtime. and omg Juno will not stop leaving fur all over the place, this has to be the worst I have ever seen. she is starting to show white where she was black. poor pup

Edited by Bob & Juno

I really feel for you with such high temps. Highest yesterday was 86F today it will be cooler at 82.4F. Getting up at silly o'clock in the morning so that the dogs can go for a walk. Unfortunately for me I think the world grey squirrel population has come on their holidays to my local wood and lido. Every other tree seems to have a resident as it's an ancient woodland full of oak trees which they seem to love. Does the extreme heat mean that they are less likely to want to go for a walk. How do you manage to keep their energy levels down?

I get bothered when it reaches in to the 85s here. Southern California weather has me spoiled.

Yes, us Californians are spoiled, and wimpy! we complain that it's too cold when its 55 and too hot when it gets in the 80's ! Being originally from the mid-west, I fully understand the horrid heat and humidity, and yet still manage to complain when I have to put an extra blanket on at night cuz the temp might drop to the 40s at night in the summer and then complain when I don't want to use my AC and waste gas when its in the 80s or higher. The Bay Area gets wonderful weather, and its nice to be reminded by those folks in the rest of the world how lucky I am:)

Sympathies to you all, but still have to brag about how cozy I am, and hardly know it :cool:

and in the desert southwest we've been in the 90's and getting some rain ... we should be getting some now since we get ours during the summer, bet it started at the end of June (the rain) and we've gotten 8 inches so far this year - and only got 4 all of last year. We normally get some rain through the end of August so we may just have a wet year. (( I can hear all the Brits laughing now!! ))

It's warming back up again though, we're supposed to be back in the 100's this weekend and with humidity to go along with it -- good weather for heat stroke.

Wherever you all are, watch the weather (( not the weather man, just the weather )) and take care of yourselves!!

I'm with you, Kyle - way too hot! Alaska is starting to look awfully good, about now! (I just keep thinking about the lack of light during those winter days, though...)

Talked with people living near the polar circle, it's apparently not that bad at all. The sunset and sunrise (and the length of the twilight) takes longer the farther away from the equator you are. The lowest point the sun goes at night is still right below the horizon. When theoretically the the sun goes below the horizon, there is still enough light to see and read. At the polar circle that means you only have ~3 hours of actually night. Add to that there's usually always bright snow illuminated by the moon, it can actually be very bright at night.

Sorry, random interesting fact that I had to tell :D Keeps my thoughts of the heat we currently have too.

Makes me laugh over here because a lot of people say they want hot weather, and then when they get it, they hate it or say it's too hot haha, ask [MENTION=685]Sid_Wolf[/MENTION] though, I always want cold temperatures, she's seen the awful temper I get when I get too hot haha. I would much rather go for a walk after a nice cool rain than go walking to the shops in this horrible sweaty weather.

Stacey xxx

It's the humidity that kills you here, between the Great Lakes. If it happens to rain during the day, it's only a little and just enough to wet the ground. Then, it's literally like a sauna!

Sounds nice, until you're in it. It's hard to breathe, usually, because there's so much water content in the air. Sucks for the dogs and animals outside, too...

O.O :jawdrop:

And here I think 32C (90F) is ridiculously hot! I think the hottest I've ever experienced in Canada is 36C (97F), maaaybe 38C (100F) in Mexico in the summer. 107F converts to 41.6C - I can't even fathom temperatures that hot!

it all depends on the humidity levels. i have experienced over 38c and very low humidity and while it was hot it was not as oppressive as 26 and full humidity.

having said that anything over 18 is to much sun for me. when it gets to hot i get prickly heat, and 4 years ago i developed polymorphic light eruption, so basically sunlight over 18c causes me to come out in small lumps that if continued to be exposed to sunshine will turn into large blister type lumps that itch and take a week t go away , and if i use sun block it causes the prickly heat.

the only way around it is to wear a thick shirt and trousers a hat and use suncream on my hands and face. so basically when its hot i can either stay indoors or go outside wrapped up and sweat like mad, its not a nice sight

I'm the same' date=' I love warm weather as long as it's not humid! But for night time I want coooold weather so I can snuggle up and be comfy in bed :D[/quote']

Yep same :D My two dont seem to be to bothered by it either theyre just alot sleepier they come out and sunbathe then go in when theyre to hot plenty of cold water constantly changed ice cubes etc the kitchen floor is always cooler so they lay on that when hot

it all depends on the humidity levels. i have experienced over 38c and very low humidity and while it was hot it was not as oppressive as 26 and full humidity.

having said that anything over 18 is to much sun for me. when it gets to hot i get prickly heat, and 4 years ago i developed polymorphic light eruption, so basically sunlight over 18c causes me to come out in small lumps that if continued to be exposed to sunshine will turn into large blister type lumps that itch and take a week t go away , and if i use sun block it causes the prickly heat.

the only way around it is to wear a thick shirt and trousers a hat and use suncream on my hands and face. so basically when its hot i can either stay indoors or go outside wrapped up and sweat like mad, its not a nice sight

See, and maybe I'm just one random weirdo, but I actually prefer the humidity to the dry! I've lived most of my life in the foothills, where it's very dry, and I used to get mild heatstroke on the days when I was working outside and the temp ran in the 30s. I don't sweat very readily, so I guess even in the dry I just wasn't very good at cooling myself off?

Even though Saskatchewan is in the middle of the continent in the bald-ass prairies, it is very humid in the summer. The summer climate here is closer to Mexico than it is the next province over! But I actually really like it. I go outside, I start to sweat, I stay more comfortable and haven't had a heat headache since I've been here!

I really feel for you with such high temps. Highest yesterday was 86F today it will be cooler at 82.4F. Getting up at silly o'clock in the morning so that the dogs can go for a walk. Unfortunately for me I think the world grey squirrel population has come on their holidays to my local wood and lido. Every other tree seems to have a resident as it's an ancient woodland full of oak trees which they seem to love. Does the extreme heat mean that they are less likely to want to go for a walk. How do you manage to keep their energy levels down?

That kind of heat and humidity drains energy (in dogs and in humans!) fairly effectively! My guys lay around all day while I'm at work and sleep - particularly happily if I leave the air conditioner in the kennel on for them, which I try to do if it's to be ridiculously hot out. I didn't yesterday, as the a/c hadn't been working properly, but did for a couple of hours after I got home from work. When they get to go out in the yard late evenings as it's cooling down after a really hot day, they'll usually run around the yard and through their pool a bit, but they generally aren't bugging me for a walk!

Talked with people living near the polar circle, it's apparently not that bad at all. The sunset and sunrise (and the length of the twilight) takes longer the farther away from the equator you are. The lowest point the sun goes at night is still right below the horizon. When theoretically the the sun goes below the horizon, there is still enough light to see and read. At the polar circle that means you only have ~3 hours of actually night. Add to that there's usually always bright snow illuminated by the moon, it can actually be very bright at night.

Sorry, random interesting fact that I had to tell :D Keeps my thoughts of the heat we currently have too.

I would truly enjoy some things about living that far north, including much cooler weather - although I have to say I really do enjoy weather warm enough to be able to wear shorts and a sleeveless shirt! I'd also love seeing the Northern Lights! What would bother me, though, with the lack of sunlight during the winter months, is a certain amount of SAD - or Seasonal Affective Disorder - I tend to be sleepier, less energetic, and more prone to depression with less sun!