Concealed weapons class

Austinville

I think it would be a very good thing to know more about, regardless of whether you ever intended to carry a concealed weapon or not... I also assume there would be a lot of good info in there that your readers of your paper would find quite interesting! I know that it's a topic I know little about...

Becky, I think it's a great idea. I carry but not all the time... It depends on where I'm going.

I'm pretty opinionated about the subject, which I will keep 'mostly' to myself, but I believe It's every law biding American's right to own and carry a firearm. I also believe CC is a big responsibility and if you don't intend to use it when/if you ever actually "need" it - don't carry at all. Gun ownership laws will make no difference whether or not a criminal has one or not. If they want one, they'll get one.

If you do ever intend on carrying you should fire many rounds through the gun you intend to carry. Get completely familiar with it and consider the many different styles, sizes and safety features available. Never buy on looks and fire a gun before you buy it... at least one like it. You may love everything about it until you fire it only to find out you hate it.

I better stop.

Guns don't kill people any more than cars kill people. People kill people.

I may get bashed a bit for my opinions but my job shapes my opinions a bit about CC.

I'm going to do it.

We have several guns in our home - many are those the OH used in his hunting days but there are others. I'm also somewhat concerned safety wise as the world is getting to be a strange place to live in. We live along a highway and the OH is often fishing and I am home alone. It's silly to have the protection in the home and not know how to use it.

Thanks [MENTION=5551]kper[/MENTION]s for your perspective. It is greatly appreciated and I understand what you mean about the responsibility that goes along with this.

It'll make a good article as well.

Becky, I would be interested in reading your article when it's finished. I recently took a CCW class. I was surprised at how much I thought I knew, but really did not know at all.

Whenever I go to the states, I always get scared whenever I see 'gun free zones'. It's like...well...all other zones are NOT gun free!? I keep on forgetting in the states you can buy guns at Wal-mart...

I'm pretty opinionated on this subject also but, not being paranoid, I feel no need to own an assault rifle with a high capacity magazine. And actually, guns do kill people. A maniac armed with a club or a knife will do much less damage before being stopped than a maniac armed with an AK-47. A hand gun in the home, for self defense, if you really feel you need it, okay. Acquiring an armory of assault weapons for the coming battle between good and evil is just plain nuts. Just my personal opinion.

I'm pretty opinionated on this subject also but, not being paranoid, I feel no need to own an assault rifle with a high capacity magazine. And actually, guns do kill people. A maniac armed with a club or a knife will do much less damage before being stopped than a maniac armed with an AK-47. A hand gun in the home, for self defense, if you really feel you need it, okay. Acquiring an armory of assault weapons for the coming battle between good and evil is just plain nuts. Just my personal opinion.

I understand that....some people are just scary!

I have always been of the opinion that the reason people need to carry guns is because of the very reason people are allowed to carry guns. It makes getting hold of a gun easier for people who shouldnt have one regardless of whether they are able to get one legally or not. Just the fact that they are around. Getting hold of a gun in the UK would be quite a difficult thing to do even if you wanted to, and if someone gets shot over here its a massive thing because its an infrequant thing to happen. This I believe is due to the single fact they are not legal to carry, even for most of the police let alone general citizens.

Where I grew up (Memphis, tn) there is a lot of crime. Not too long ago we had the highest murder rate in the states. I personally would never carry a gun around but I do like to know how to use one and we have a few in our home. People break in all the time around here. 2 days ago someone broke in a local home and robbed them and dumped gasoline on the couple that lived there and their 3 month old baby. Reasons like that are why I feel I need to know how to shoot.

To be honest...I need to learn how to shoot because, as an upcoming Zoologist, I'll probably be venturing into the woods to study animals. I'd have to protect myself against a bear or something, but shooting it would be a last resort for me.

... And actually, guns do kill people. A maniac armed with a club or a knife will do much less damage before being stopped than a maniac armed with an AK-47....

And a maniac armed with a stolen tractor/trailer will do a lot more damage than a maniac armed with a Kia but we don't have activist groups protesting the use of trucks. The fact remains that firearms are here to stay. We can talk all day about how crazy it is to carry but, heaven forbid, you and your family are ever instantly faced with that maniac pointing his .45 in your wife's direction... you better be content knowing her life is entirely in his hands. I'm certainly not paranoid but I will be prepared to protect my family whether I'm at home or the farmer's market.

Anyone who has been on the barrel end of a gun knows how terrifying and helpless it feels, those who haven't may never understand.

And a maniac armed with a stolen tractor/trailer will do a lot more damage than a maniac armed with a Kia but we don't have activist groups protesting the use of trucks..

I respect the rest of your argument, but this part is a false analogy. It is not like there are a bunch of people in Kia's or tractor trailers going out and killing people on purpose (especially not mass murders). Cars are not generally the weapon of choice for murder while guns are. Your position is much stronger if you stick to the protection argument.

PS I am also a gun owner. I would not want a CC permit though.

Hmmm, what a very interesting set of different opinions. I live across the bay from an area where people are being shot everyday, and I hate it! However I do believe in my right to own a gun in my home, but would rather not, due to safety, but if things keep going down hill in this country like it is, I would most likely get one to have in my home and surely take a class about safety and practice a lot. I highly respect the laws of the UK for the ban on guns, and your gun crime rate proves that it can be a good thing, but at the same time I have the wild west attitude that I have the right to defend my home and property.

I respect the rest of your argument, but this part is a false analogy. It is not like there are a bunch of people in Kia's or tractor trailers going out and killing people on purpose (especially not mass murders). Cars are not generally the weapon of choice for murder while guns are. Your position is much stronger if you stick to the protection argument.

PS I am also a gun owner. I would not want a CC permit though.

You're correct, Frank. Somehow the thread went from self protection to illegal weapons and I was simply trying to put the CC/AK47 theory into perspective.

... Just my personal opinion.

Bob, I respect that and I apologize if I may have come on strong. It wasn't intended that way but sometimes what we get in print isn't exactly how it was intended to be delivered. I re-read my post and it seemed more personal than I realized.

A public apology to Becky, also, if this thread went in a direction you hadn't intended it to.

No problem Kyle. There is a huge divide in this country over the control of guns and what kinds of weapons should and should not be available to the general public. Hopefully we can at least keep the discussion civil even if we disagree.

[MENTION=5551]kper[/MENTION]s - anytime we talk amongst ourselves, it's good. Be it huskies, weapons or whatever - the world instantly becomes a smaller and smaller place as we begin to understand the viewpoints of others.

Taking this class doesn't mean that I will carry, just means that I have that option. AND I can educate my readers on how recent changes in the law affect them and their right to carry. It also provides me with an activity to enjoy with my son. He loves to shoot and I expect we'll be going to the range together to keep in practice.

Well, I completed the class and did quite well in both written testing and on the range. Most classes in Iowa don't include the range, but I am glad I found a course that did.

I was rather nervous when it came to shooting but my instructor told me after I shot that I did very well and that he could draw two vertical lines on the target and I stayed within three inches, left to right. The second portion was five shots to the 'head' of the target and another five to the 'body'. Three of five in both cases could have been covered by a quarter (24mm).

The next step is a background check. (Thinking that will go well.)

Like I said before, doesn't mean I will carry, simply means I can. I learned a tremendous amount of information and this should be a good article when I'm done.

It is a wealth of information to get. I know here in Missouri, one of the main ranges that teach it in my area actually have one of the lawyers that helped write the bill (which became law) come into the class and answer questions and such. The way you describe your shooting sounds like you're very effective. I like to keep in practice and go as often as I can afford (ammo is very expensive these days lol) Along with the CCW class, you might look into a few others. I know they are offered in my area and you could look into it in yours. There are a lot of different classes that will teach you effective ways to carry your weapon and how to draw it from a conceal. When you carry, you don't to have other people know you are. Finding the right holsters etc and knowing how to draw your weapon from them in an emergency (ie. under stress, nothing ever goes to plan, unless you count plan K). So it is good to practice so it becomes second nature. There are also purses made with a conceal area in them as well. and there are good ways and bad ways to draw from it. Just a little bit of info for ya. I'm somewhat a weapons guy (I blame the Army =D ) If you have any questions let me know! I'd be happy to answer any and all i can!

We went over a bit about holstering and it was mentioned to practice, practice, practice drawing. Went over a bit of the ramifications of carrying and what you can and/or cannot do in a situation (rights and/or obligations), what to say to law enforcement if you do get involved, etc. In all honesty, after hearing much of that, I probably won't carry much - back and forth to the range will be about it.

I didn't take this to become 'Annie Oakley' - just wanted correct information and first hand knowledge of use. (And fodder for an article!)