!!Parakeets!!

Ron Tao&Sky

Every evening at about 8pm a flock of about 30 Parakeets fly over our garden. They descend into a huge tree about half a mile away where they roost for the night. The unusual thing about this is they are not a native of the UK but they seem to be breeding here. :confused:..........Ron

Wow,that's weird.We haven't even had a decent Summer so why on earth would they want to come here??!!:eek:Must be confused(bird brains!!):rolleyes:Still, nice to have a touch of the exotic near your garden!!;)

Edited by basketcase687

Most of London is full of the things. There is a huge flock that roost in the trees overlooking our house - noisy buggers! Pretty to look at but I worry about their effects on the native bird population.

Loads of info here - http://www.projectparakeet.co.uk/index.html

dsc_1287-copy.jpg

Mick

Edited by raindog

Thanks Raindog,that's very interesting.Ron,you have to report where you have seen them,says so on website!;)

Thanks for the reply, I will report them ASP. Hope to get some photos of them. When I shout out to Carol that the Parots are flying over, Tao goes running to the fridge. He thinks I'm saying Carrots.:doglaugh:..........Ron

The story behind the ring-necked parakeets is that they originally escaped from an aviary in Kew Gardens and have slowly over the years expanded their territory. I'm amazed they have now got as far as Kent although they have large territories. The problem with them is that firstly they bully out the local population of native birds and secondly when they descend on a tree they can literally strip it of buds and young leaves. There are loads around where I live.

The story behind the ring-necked parakeets is that they originally escaped from an aviary in Kew Gardens and have slowly over the years expanded their territory. I'm amazed they have now got as far as Kent although they have large territories. The problem with them is that firstly they bully out the local population of native birds and secondly when they descend on a tree they can literally strip it of buds and young leaves. There are loads around where I live.

Evolution in the making then,and to think they can survive our crappy weather !Definitely none have got as far as Wales,think they would have drowned here this Summer,so our local birds are safe!!:D

Evolution in the making then,and to think they can survive our crappy weather !Definitely none have got as far as Wales,think they would have drowned here this Summer,so our local birds are safe!!:D

I guess you win some and lose some. One 'local' bird which has made an amazing comeback over the past few years is the Red Kite. I first saw one in Wales about 20 years ago and was gobsmacked as, at the time, there were supposed to be only 2 or 3 breeding pairs left in Wales and none in the rest of the country. Now, if you drive west down the M40 you will see dozens and dozens of them - it's brilliant as they are the most beautiful bird of prey we have in the UK. Now - if only the red squirrel would make a comeback!

http://www.redkites.co.uk/

Mick

Not sure if it's Red Kites around us,but there are lots of them in our nearby fields and woods.( quite large birds of prey,a darkish brown colour though).Our lot are forever disturbing them in the fields and they make quite a lot of noise.We had just one pair or so to start with but they are everywhere now.Always wondered what they were,maybe they are Kites then!:)

Used to have one of my own [MENTION=3404]SolitaryHowl[/MENTION] - a twin to yours.

He was allowed to fly free throughout the home and was a very intelligent bird. Alas, he picked on Bo one day while I was gone and when I got home, all that remained was a tailfeather in the middle of the livingroom floor...RIP Tweet.

Ooops meant to say Sion Park not Kew Gardens - not too far away as the parakeet flies though. Red Kites are mainly carrion eaters and they were released between High Wycombe and Aylesbury by the RSPB and the Nature Conservancy Council about 18 years ago. The Chilterns Escarpment was chosen as it has excellent thermals for the birds to use. The first birds released came from Spain as they were closely related to the UK population. When they fly they look pretty similar to buzzards and a Red Kites wing span is between 5-6 feet and they have a distinctive forked tail. I know that their territory now extends to Marlow.

Edited by Biggles

I have one of them at home, so I know how you feel. Every day at about 6 o'clock it'd start making noise and talking to himself in his bird language in the mirror. To wake me up. >>

He's about 16 right now or more, still pretty lively everytime I come home. (I live in a diff country) He just knows I'm home and starts making noise :D And for some reason he knows when I eat and asks for some. lol

But 30 of them.... poor you!

That was pretty much what I was going to say when I started reading this thread - you beat me to it!

We have a pair of Lineolated Parakeets which are a lot smaller and don't raid the local vegetation. The Ringnecks are like a bunch of locusts when they are on a mission!

We've observed Many parakeets here in the last few years. I live near a park with a wooded area and there are plenty flying in and out of the trees there. Get a few sitting on my roof every now and then too. Not sure how or when they were first introduced to the uk.

Edit: seen Biggles post now, not sure if we have ring necked ones as I think they're just bright green with no markings.

Edited by emma1979