How do we avoid online breeder scams?

Mr&MrsKirkley

We are new here and interested in buying a Siberian Husky soon. Because what we're looking for is harder to find, we may have to shop online instead of locally. I want a vocal Siberian Husky wooly (long coat). I love Siberian Huskies that talk and sing and I love the beauty of a long coat. Unfortunately, the AKC considers beautiful long coats a fault, so I'm thinking reputable dealers that breed according to standard probably won't have them. By not going to a reputable local dealer and instead shopping online, I'm worried I'll either end up with a puppy with bad temperament or I'll get scammed and have no puppy at all. I understand the AKC has its reasons for considering such beauty a fault, but it sure complicates things for people who love the long hair. How can we find what we want without being scammed?

Another problem you are likely to encounter by buying from 'back-yard-breeders' online is bad breeding, which in part causes the bad temperament you mentioned, but also some pretty serious and sometimes lethal health problems as necessary health tests will most likely have been avoided to keep production costs down.

Reputable breeders don't necessarily NEVER have wooly coated pups - it's a recessive gene (I believe), so it could well pop out of a litter from two short haired parents if they both carry one copy of the gene. With that in mind it would be worth contacting as many reputable breeders as you can to find out if any of them have had this happen in the past, and get yourself on a waiting list from one or two that have had this happen so that if one ever pops up in the future you'll get first dibs :) That way you'll be getting exactly what you want, won't be getting scammed, will get a perfectly healthy pup that was bred the right way, and won't be funding poor breeders ;)

Welcome to the forum. I would, if at all possible, avoid online breeder sites. It may take some time and effort, and you may end up having to buy a plane ticket for your pup, but that would be much better than having a dog with serious health issues.

I did contact a local breeder and she said she's had woolies before but she can't tell the difference between wooly puppies and regular coat puppies. She must keep in contact with those she sells to. If the puppies sell before they're old enough to tell the difference......Is it common for breeders to not be able to tell the difference between wooly and non wooly?

Edited by Mr&MrsKirkley

Usually you can notice if one puppy is a bit fluffier than another. I would make sure to ask the breeder if they OFA and CERF their adult dogs. You get the hips x-rayed of a 2+ years old dog and send in the x-ray to OFA to rate them as "poor," "fair," "good," or "excellent." I would question any breed who breeds fair hips (though they may have their reasons) and would not buy from a breeder who does not check at all. The breeder should check eyes yearly and have it sent in to CERF or SHOR. You only want a puppy from parents who both have normal eyes.

Also, I like breeders who don't keep their dogs out in kennels and raise their puppies in the house with the family.

Sent you a pm.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Like it was mentioned already, would you consider adopting a young wooly instead of buying a puppy? There are too many dogs in shelters already...

Check with your local humane society, or go online on sites like petfinder and try to see if you can meet a few times before you buy/adopt it.

From what I've read, the approval process for rescues takes a long time and applicants usually don't get the puppy/dog they want. Instead, the rescue picks which puppy/dog they're willing to offer. Why go through all that when I wouldn't even be allowed the puppy/dog of my choice. I'd be willing to buy a puppy from a breeder or an adult from a pet owner that could no longer keep it. No rescues.

From what I've read, the approval process for rescues takes a long time and applicants usually don't get the puppy/dog they want. Instead, the rescue picks which puppy/dog they're willing to offer. Why go through all that when I wouldn't even be allowed the puppy/dog of my choice. I'd be willing to buy a puppy from a breeder or an adult from a pet owner that could no longer keep it. No rescues.

if thats how it works in the states then thats cobblers, i would hazard a guess that they pick for compatability ie no kids, or loves kids, no other pets and so on and so forth good luck in your search

No rescues.

Both of mine are recues, and I walked in, looked at the dogs, found one, paid for him, had him checked by a vet, and left with him. Maybe KS is different, IDK, but I would go to a local shelter or rescue and talk with someone in person to get the facts straight. Maybe the info you read wasn't accurate.

Also, a reputable breeded that I have spoke with told me that it's hard to determine which pups will have certain coats,eye colors, and be "talkative".

Stay off Craigslist for starters, and continue to do your research!

Good luck!

yes some local pounds can be a little annoying on the adoption process (read some stories about that) but if you go to a breed specific rescue I'm sure the staffs would never turn the rules around or deny you for silly reasons. I read that people who work in pounds are most likely to be working just for the money, not because they like dogs and they often end up giving the pound a bad name. But rescues built by people--not the government--were obviously there because someone in it LOVES dogs and when you're dealing with someone who loves animals you know they would put the animal above all else and won't reject the adoption application for "funny" reasons thus creating the image "you can't pick a dog if you go to a shelter--they pick the dog for you"

I think what you're searching for is a little bit too specific (since you're searching for a certain personality) and going to a breeder might make you wait for so many years. Besides, how can you tell a dog's personality when they were just a couple months old? I'd suggest rescuing and ask for the shelter staffs to match a dog for you but this is just my opinion :) good luck!

Just wanted to say I was lucky enough to find my woolie withing 1 hour of me. Out of a litter of 11 he was the the only woolie. The breeder said he owns a woolie, but has never bread him and he was purchased from another breeder. She was in aww when Ni'cko was born.

I hope you find the woolie you are looking for!!!:)

Oh and it urks me to no end that long hair is considered a fault. If genetics cause it then it shouldn't be a fault.

Just wanted to say I was lucky enough to find my woolie withing 1 hour of me. Out of a litter of 11 he was the the only woolie. The breeder said he owns a woolie, but has never bread him and he was purchased from another breeder. She was in aww when Ni'cko was born.

I hope you find the woolie you are looking for!!!:)

Oh and it urks me to no end that long hair is considered a fault. If genetics cause it then it shouldn't be a fault.

It's a fault because it goes against what the breed was originally bred for, which is what breed standards are based on - snow and ice would clump in the fur, making them heavier, and reducing the effectiveness of the coat at keeping the dog warm and dry. Anyone breeding to show or run their dogs therefore won't breed deliberately for woolies, they're most commonly found among hobby breeders' litters.

It's a fault because it goes against what the breed was originally bred for' date=' which is what breed standards are based on - snow and ice would clump in the fur, making them heavier, and reducing the effectiveness of the coat at keeping the dog warm and dry. Anyone breeding to show or run their dogs therefore won't breed deliberately for woolies, they're most commonly found among hobby breeders' litters.[/quote']

I understand why it's a fault I just don't agree with it... :-)

Guess I'm just a mommy who feels like her baby is being picked on...LOL!!!

My breeder said in her 14 years breeding huskies Ni'cko is the first one she's had and that's why she was so shocked when he was born. She said she thinks her woolie is the most beautiful of her kids (as she calls them), but she of course can't (doesn't) breed him.

I would go with a rescue first.

Get used to the breed then if you want to expand your pack

look into breeders.

Ask the breeders if you can meet some of the other dogs they have placed so you can talk to the owners about the conduct and practices of the breeder.

If they can't provide references then run away as fast as you can.

oh, yeah. . . and. . . .

post-1354-13586062960624_thumb.jpg

yeah our rescue groups here take into consideration where you live, if you have kids, what type of lifestyle you live, things like that. they would never just tell you nope you can't have that one you have to have this one or dogs would NEVER get adopted. if thats how it is where you live, that's just dumb. lol excuse me.

simples give no money or card details to anyone who offers to deliver the dog for a fee avoid

go to some dog shows where huskies are been showed

we went on champdogs.co.uk contacted some local breeders then asked if we could meet them at a dog show. We met there or four different breeders over a two three week period. Then we went and saw a lady who had pups due, we are still mates will all the people we met.

Siberians and all breeds have genetics that cause all sorts of faults. That's what faults are! Heck, genetics causes hip and eye problems! You can think a wooly coat shouldn't be a fault for whatever reason, but saying because genetics causes it isn't a good reason, IMO. I think woolies are cute, but I see why show and racing people don't want that kind of coat.

And to the OP, not sure where you're getting that info about rescues from, but most all rescues will let you pick the dog you want. They're not going to force a dog you don't want on you. They may deny you as a home for whatever reason, but they're not going to make you have a certain dog. Plus all rescues and shelters are different. Some are more difficult to deal with than others for sure, but some are wonderful to deal with.

If you end up going with a so-so breeder, at least visit their house and see what kind of condition the adults and puppies are being kept in. You really don't want to support someone who keeps a ton of dogs in poor conditions just to make money off them. And I would highly suggest you find a breeder who raises the puppies in a household situation, not out in a kennel.