but WHY? :(

mydiamond

Remember my dream going to the US for college and all? I have just found a spare time to do more research and I've decided on a uni :) read around the "housing" section, crossing my fingers so that I'd find a "pet-friendly" label somewhere and.....

Yes, THERE ARE pet friendly on-campus apartments. But freshmen or students aged 18 and younger are yet to be eligible to live in this apartment.

:cry1: big thanks, you've just ruined my future plans. Now what to do? =\

I know, I know... I received warnings and it's my fault for not doing a thorough research. But now since I've to find a place for Dime until I can move out from the freshmen's housing property, WHAT am I gonna do??? :( stupid me, I should have prepared Plan B :( stupid, stupid, stupid me :cry1: suggestions welcome. But please understand I'm not the happiest person on earth right now so please be nice yes I know I've received warnings I admit it's my fault :( what to do what to do what to do :( :(

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried a place off-campus that will allow pets? There should be apartments, or even houses up for student rentals, that you can try. Unfortunately for me, the house I'm in now doesn't allow pets...so I doubt I can even bring in a fish. LOL

Have you tried a place off-campus that will allow pets? There should be apartments, or even houses up for student rentals, that you can try. Unfortunately for me, the house I'm in now doesn't allow pets...so I doubt I can even bring in a fish. LOL

unfortunately freshmen are only allowed to live in those on-campus buildings. The question remains: but why? :( :(

You might have to rent a private flat off-campus, not sure how rentals are over there, but here, it's pretty difficult to find something that's pet friendly... and for a student!

I wish you the best of luck, you will find something if you look closely enough, but you'll have to sacrifice on some things, like being on-campus and in student halls.

I take it leaving Dime home for one year is completely out of the question?

You might have to rent a private flat off-campus, not sure how rentals are over there, but here, it's pretty difficult to find something that's pet friendly... and for a student!

I wish you the best of luck, you will find something if you look closely enough, but you'll have to sacrifice on some things, like being on-campus and in student halls.

I take it leaving Dime home for one year is completely out of the question?

that would be a bit costly but thanks for the suggestion :) I really wish I can live off-campus but it's a pretty strict rule :( previously I searched for pet friendly apartments around the uni and easily found a bunch but I didn't realize I need to spend 365 days as a college student before being able to move out =\

uh well if there's someone I can trust in Indo that would be fine but my family is unreliable. I'm not saying Indo is full of bad people but finding a good, responsible pet owner is hard enough over here--let alone someone that would foster for one full year :( but if, IF such "someone" exists then I guess that's the only option :(

So sorry Olivia, I don't know too much about US uni rules but do you have to go straight there this year? At the worst would you be allowed to take a gap year and start the following academic year when you actually would be 18?

So sorry Olivia, I don't know too much about US uni rules but do you have to go straight there this year? At the worst would you be allowed to take a gap year and start the following academic year when you actually would be 18?

I'm still at grade eleven, so I got another year to think but I'd be too busy chasing scores next year so all plans have to be made up THIS year. Gap year is optional? O_O uh oh I know too little about uni student life :oops sometimes I sound really stupid :huskyfall:

if it's for Dime, then I'd take that gap year but personally I wanted to get outta this country as fast as possible LOL :P

Olivia, most US universities require freshman students to live on campus (dormitories) because most of them are still considered underage (18). Sophomore year is when a lot of students move off campus into rental apartments or houses, which usually ends up being less expensive. You may want to contact the uni's department of student housing. They're usually very willing to work with foreign students in finding them appropriate housing...on or off campus. Many uni's even have special housing for foreign students as many of them are there year round. In dormitories, you move in around the middle of August and have to be out by the end of classes the following May. I take it that you had planned on bringing Dime with you? You may have to leave him at home for your freshman year because of the housing restrictions regarding freshman. My advice to you, don't let this influence your decision to come to the US. You have a unique opportunity to experience some of the best universities in the world! Our son met one of his best friends, from Singapore, while he was at the University of Iowa. His friend wanted to come to Iowa for his journalism degree, as Iowa has one of the most highly respected journalism schools. I feel for you, it would be very hard to leave Dime behind for a year. Do you have a friend or family member that would maybe take him for your first year of school....which is actually only about 9 months. Like I said before....contact the housing department of your chosen university and see if they could help you. Don't lose hope yet.....good luck. :)

That's a great idea! I didn't even think of that. Students here is the US don't usually do a "gap year". Most go right out of high school to college. Olivia, if you are over 18 when you come here, you're pretty much free to live wherever you choose. Something to consider.....

unfortunately freshmen are only allowed to live in those on-campus buildings. The question remains: but why? :( :(

i would hazard a guess that the answer to that question lies partly with the behaviour of first year students, ie leaving home for the first time, partying, and not respecting properties . ( i know that is very judgemental but you have to look at it from the perspective of the landlords) and the other reason being how many students drop out within the first year after going through the rigmarole to rent a place, i do hope you get sorted liv

Many colleges in the USA don't allow freshman to live off campus because they want them to experience the full college lifestyle. Not to mention many 18 year olds are not mature enough. Btw have you already applied to Iowa state? I applied to 5 colleges and went from there. Different factors partake in your acceptance.

P.s. when you come to the us many people won't know what you mean by "uni" lol I'd never heard that term till I joined this forum.

P.s. when you come to the us many people won't know what you mean by "uni" lol I'd never heard that term till I joined this forum.

I think it may have to do with the fact that in Europe, we tend to refer to higher education as university, rather than college.

Here, for example, a college is in fact a high-school (or secondary school if you like). As far as I am aware, in the UK a college would still count as a form of higher education, not sure you can actually get a proper degree from one though (like a Bachelor).

Being a student myself, the first year can be quite wild! So yeah, if I was a landlord, I'd be wary of taking a first year student as my tenant. In fact, I would be wary of taking a student as tenant in any case, knowing how students live and what sort of parties go on in their flats (there's a very good reason I don't usually have any parties at home!). I not exaggerating at all when I am saying that I've seen student flats in which trash had accumulated for two weeks and more, dishes all over the place and only being washed when people needed to eat/drink, various damage from drunken nights etc. It really can get quite bad... as a landlord, I'd have been horrified by the things I've seen. Obviously, not all the students are like that, but you have to convince the landlord first.

I'm a bit nostalgic now, but it would really be a pity to miss on all the fun that you can have in your first year. I was lucky as my parents were always there to look after K if I was busy (erm... hungover) but you have to take that into account as well. You might not be keen on walking the dog if you've been partying all night lol.

oh I'm going to Iowa States Uni. That's in Ames and we have one member there but he's not active anymore =\ the closest member Gigi and Becky lives 1.5 hours from Ames :(

That's only 67 miles from Ames to Ackley ... most drivers here will try to do that in about 15 minutes ... but seriously, to most of us here, that's not that far. You wouldn't want to do it in an evening, but it's easily done on a weekend day when you'd have the time.

and just think about it, you'd be able to go to the Iowa Camp *with* Diamond!!

If you were planning on taking Dime with you, I assume that means you'll have money saved to get him on a flight out of the country - doesn't that mean that technically you're open to finding a foster ANYWHERE in the world? Of the thousands of members on this forum, surely someone would be willing to have him for the year, and it wouldn't matter where :)

If you were planning on taking Dime with you' date=' I assume that means you'll have money saved to get him on a flight out of the country - doesn't that mean that technically you're open to finding a foster ANYWHERE in the world? Of the thousands of members on this forum, surely someone would be willing to have him for the year, and it wouldn't matter where :)[/quote']

Yes it would, she'd quite probably want him to be at least in the same country so she could see him - at least once in a while!!

Yes it would, she'd quite probably want him to be at least in the same country so she could see him - at least once in a while!!

how if in indo and she is in the US that wouldnt be an option I think is what she's gettin at

I like the idea that maybe [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] or [MENTION=53]Austinville[/MENTION] might be able to foster for a year! 1.5 hours of a drive isn't really that long - most people's commutes everyday are longer than that!

What made you choose to go to the states and not Canada, by the way? ;)

how if in indo and she is in the US that wouldnt be an option I think is what she's gettin at

Read the last couple messages @Marc, the assumption is that Liv will be trying to bring Diamond with her. If that's the case, having him in the UK and her in the US *just might* be a bit counterproductive; at least if he's here in the US somewhere she and he could get together somewhere .... ???

I also wonder at times, even though we're all speaking English (mostly) if it's the same English!?!?!

<< You been watching the Olympics and hitting the beer again, ain't cha??? >>

Edited by Al Jones

I'm not familiar with the U.S. education system but I know in England all first yr uni students they prefer live in 'halls' I assume it's similar to the situation you're facing. It's done because its more secure and supportive for first year students. I hope you can find a solution. Sorry I can't help though.

Depending on what's going on in my life a year from now, I suppose it might be possible to foster him - BUT - there are a lot of things going on in my life at the moment, and I'm not at all sure I won't have to move at some time in the near future, so I truly cannot commit to helping you out, at this time, Liv... I'm very sorry!

I've finally gotten a job, after several years of being unemployed/underemployed, and it doesn't pay well, unfortunately - it's a lower/entry level retail position. There IS a possibility of moving into manager training, which does pay a decent amount, but if I go that route, I will almost certainly end up having to relocate someplace, and I don't know where that might be...

How quickly do the dorms fill up there? My dad was simply late on applying to live in a dorm at his college and they ran out of room, so he got to live off campus. I would e-mail and ask if there's anyway around the policy.