Husky Adoption query

Pablo

Hi,

Indy is now 7 months and he is doing really well. I love him to bits and I have the husky bug. I went to a dog event recently and saw some information on a husky that needs re-homing. female 6 - 12 months old. good with people, other dogs, loves treats, i think she may need training but I am thinking of adopting her but I wanted to ask a few questions to you knowledgeable bunch:

1. Do you think I need to focus on Indy as he is only 7 months old?

2. Do you think that as they maybe the same age they could get on well?

3. Indy is still in training, he is in showcraft, could this adoption effect his training?

What questions should I ask besides identifying history if any, general health etc.

I would love to take her and she is so young to be abandoned and if I could offer her a home I would but i don't want to jeopardise the work I have done with Indy. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

i have 2 i adopted from rescue, take Indy for a visit we did this with Odin, we visited 3 times before we brought the others home. This way you can see how they get on, get to know the other dog and have plenty of time to think of any questions you may have xxxx

1. Do you think I need to focus on Indy as he is only 7 months old? There is no real rule about when you should get another dog :) it all depends on you and Indy's personality. If you believe that Indy got distracted easily and another dog would make training him hellish, then wait a little bit more. Other than that, pay a visit to the lovely female and see how do they get along. It's recommended to visit more than one time before adoption ;)

2. Do you think that as they maybe the same age they could get on well? don't expect too much =\ unfortunately it's quite impossible to tell would they get along or not without letting the two dogs meet. But I'm telling you this is two teenagers we're talking about so they might get along too well and get into trouble together :P

3. Indy is still in training, he is in showcraft, could this adoption effect his training? Again, this depends on Indy himself. I won't say the adoption would do damage to his training but if you want him to concentrate on his training, take Indy on a different place when he's on his training session

What questions should I ask besides identifying history if any, general health etc. ask them about her personality. Any behavioral problems? Any past medical problems? Is she house-trained? Is she submissive or slightly pushy? Make sure you ask as many questions as possible so that you'd be prepared :)

a rescue may not allow you to adopt if your dog isnt neutered or the female you want hasnt been neutered yet...

i agree with the above....i have had 2 teenage dogs at the same time and i swear they took it in turns toi wind me up by destroying things...

you may need to meet a few dogs before you find a dog that suits indy

We rescued Darwin who was a year old at the time when our first husky Daughtry was only 6 months old.

As Kells said we had both in the chewing shoes / furniture stage at the same time.

However it meant that, we got through it at the same time rather than get one out of the destructive stage and then

bring in another and have to go through it again.

If we were considering getting another we would go for a dog at least 18 months to 2 years old.

We can train it to walk nicely etc but at least you're out of the coming home to find all your cushions shredded and half the sofa

foam ripped out stage.

thanks for everyone's feedback - unfortunately it did not work out, I contacted the trust and they confirmed she was a stray from Ireland - 9 months old (they think) weighing 12.5kg (small!!), she was spayed, however they would not consider us as we had young kids, even though I have a husky they would not entertain us. A bit gutted but hey ho i believe there was a lot of interest in her but not local to the trust. Hope she finds a home!!

pablo do not lose hope... there is a husky out there for you somewhere

im sure this girl will find a home but you will get a dog...

it may take some time but be patient and the right one will come to you

chin up and enjoy your boy x

thanks for everyone's feedback - unfortunately it did not work out, I contacted the trust and they confirmed she was a stray from Ireland - 9 months old (they think) weighing 12.5kg (small!!), she was spayed, however they would not consider us as we had young kids, even though I have a husky they would not entertain us. A bit gutted but hey ho i believe there was a lot of interest in her but not local to the trust. Hope she finds a home!!

Try one of the breed specific Husky Welfare organisations. They are all overwhelmed with dogs at the moment and none of them (as far as I know) would regard having children as a disqualification.

Mick

I too have 3 adopted Huskies and to be honest,things never went to a plan as such, the first was a surprise as someone just gave him to me,after seeing where I lived and the amount of land we had access to.

The second,just like yourself,I decided I wanted a friend for Max,along came Blue,he had SA,but he is now super.

The third was a local hands on rescue with a foster home ready to take him(agreed prior to me jumping in!)

Then he was adopted and it didn't work out,so eventually we had him back!

I am sitting here with 3 furry bodies stretched out happy and asleep after lots of exercise. Do I regret it,not for one minute. Has it always been easy,no,I have dealt with some behaviour problems but it was all worthwhile.

It is fantastic that you are wanting to rescue another dog,it is one of the most rewarding things you can do.

Try to remember that some dogs have had difficult experiences with other humans. This can include neglect,cruelty,abuse therefore a rescue dog needs time to adapt. The time varies with each dog and they cannot be rushed to suit us.

Young dogs should get on very well .The training shouldn't be affected as long as you have the time ,some dogs need one to one training. I do with mine,try to give them time alone with me and use reward based training.

If you have your doubts and feel maybe you want to wait a while longer,then do not rush into anything.

Once you decide to adopt,make it for the rest of the dogs life,so be sure.These dogs have been through enough already.

A valid point has been made about adopting a female ,unspayed,rescues will not allow this if your male is entire. This is for a very good reason.Look around at all the unwanted dogs,any rescued dogs can not be placed in a home where there is a chance they could reproduce. (They all come with spay/neuter contracts if they are entire)

Find out as much as you possibly can about a potential adoptee,visit numerous times,lots of interaction with your dog.

If it all works out and you find the right dog ,then try to have some time off to help with the settling in process.Let the dog get used to you coming and going for short periods,this will help to relieve any possible anxiety.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out:)