Kennel floor..pea gravel?bark mulch or washed rock?

Michelle Melsom

So next year I will be putting some flooring type stuff in my kennel. Now Ive been debating what should I use? I cant use shavings the space is too big and when it gets windy here it REALLY gets windy. I like pea gravel because it looks nice and neat and seems like it would be easy to clean but I've read that some dogs will eat it and die :S The solution to that, that I have read has been washed rock. My original plan was to use bark mulch because I could just replace dirty bits but Ive heard it retains moisture too much and can smell? The bright side ive heard of it is that it keeps away bugs. Cement is not an option and grass is too hard to get poo out of :P and dirt is just dirty. I need something that wont hurt the dogs paws, is easy to clean and is ofc safe

Washed Rock

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54553[/ATTACH]

Pea Gravel

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54554[/ATTACH]

I've been using pea gravel in my kennels for the past 6 years, never had a dog eat enough of it to harm them, a couple rocks while gobbling up the kibble that fell out of the bowl will pass without issue. It's been amazing, easy to clean, provides enough drainage that the smell stays down. Prior to pea gravel I used -2 washed rock and it's really hard to clean the messes up if they are at all loose. I've been so totally happy with the pea gravel I put it in the full length of my new runs :D

post-6615-13586063075282_thumb.jpg

I definitely need something for smell :P It doesn't smell right now but the kennel is right under my bedroom window. It was the easiest place to put it haha sounds like a bad idea but with the lay out of my yard it makes sense...

Edited by Michelle Melsom
typo

I definitely need something for smell :P It doesn't smell right now but the kennel is right under my bedroom window. It was the easiest place to put it haha sounds like a bad idea but with the lay out of my yard it makes sense...

That's where mine are too, it was the best place to put mine as well! I disinfect every other week with a light bleach solution and find that it keeps the kennels very sanitary and odor free.

I don't have a kennel but I find that for difficult poos to clean I scoop up as much as I can with my rake/shovel thing and then hose the rest of it off the grass, works well. I've been debating on getting myself some pea gravel as well, for under the kiddy pool (grass dead and mess when it gets wet).

I wish I had kennels!