Raw Feeding Diary: Kiska and Freya Go Raw!

Hyshqa

Today's Menu

Kiska and Freya are still doing great on raw! :D They had beef mince for dinner yesterday - Kiska ate it really slowly, she had to overly-sniff it and inspect it all first because it was different :P Freya though just steamed in as usual and it was gone in 3 mouth fulls - I don't even think she knows what she's eating half the time :rolleyes: I had to be up early this morning to go to London - normally I'd leave the dogs in bed and my sister would sort their breakfasts when she gets up, but the rest of my family are really squeamish about the meat (I even had my dad ask me the other day if they were going to "turn savage"!) so they're not a fan of their diets right now! I ended up having to make up their breakfasts before I left and put it in the fridge, already in their bowls so all my sister would have to do is take the bowls out and put them on the floor :P They're getting chicken mince mixed with chicken and liver mince (I figured I'd try to minimise the amount of liver they got for their first offal meal as I hear it can be quite rich for them) for dinner tonight!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your doing great :D I was the same as you at first thinking it didnt seem like enough food i still look at it now and think wow it looks like hardly anything! But one bag of the mince per day is plenty! I sometimes give a few extra treats in the day like the odd small chicken wing etc so they definately get plenty! Skye is putting on weight great with it so it must be enough! And Shadow is quite stable to other than losing a slight bit of weight because hes walking more again but he needed to lose that :D

my only problem is finding a supplier for meat. butchers aren't common here and the ones that are are EXPENSIVE!!!!

i mean i spend a good amount of money on Luka's food now so i'm not really worried about the cost i just can't afford to be feeding him prime rib or something haha.

any ideas from people who live in the states?

Steph how do you know how much to feed each dog?

Shadow gets 500 grams ISH per day ( i say ish because each bag seems to weigh different but its always around 500ish) Skye gets the same but slightly more at times as she is a growing puppy!

One thing i found i had to do is add oily fish into it as their coats started to get quite dry now they arent :) I also give chicken wings and other small bits of meat as treats at times or sometimes chicken wings on their own as a whole meal! (i buy big bags of frozen ones that i can just take them out individually)

Steph how do you know how much to feed each dog?

You aim to feed 2-3% of the dogs ideal adult body weight each day. Kiska is currently 23.6kg but I think she's a bit overweight, I reckon her ideal is 22.5kg. Freya is 20kg but is a bit taller than Kiska so I think her ideal is closer to 23kg (she's still a growing puppy!). 2% is usually fed if the dog needs to lose weight, 2.5% maintains weight and you feed 3% if they need to put on weight. So, Kiska should be on 2% of 22.5kg which is 450g, and Freya should be on 3% of 23kg which is 690g - however, because they've been on kibble and raw food is known to be fattening by itself, I've got them both on just over 2% of their body weights - ish. They're both on 460g a day. Because the % are only guidelines, I'll be watching their weights and adjusting as needed from here :) That's the best way to do it really - go by the recommendations at first, then adjust as required :)

• 2 weeks later...

Food Reviews

I've got to say - the food from David's Doggy Dinners is much better quality than the same from The Dog Food Company. DDD's chicken mince for example is thick, chunky and actually looks like good quality meat. TDFC's chicken mince on the other hand looks cheap, pureed, and just gross compared to DDD's. Probably because it's only 36p, compared to DDD's 60p :rolleyes: But I'll probably keep buying it. The dogs can't seem to tell the difference, and it helps keep the costs down! :)

The dogs are still loving their raw food - I forgot to mix the mince around to spread it out today, so it was served to them in their bowls as one big lump.....Freya's was literally gone in one mouthful! Well, one mouthful, but several air-chomps on it! :P

• 4 months later...

I know I'm probably bumping up an old thread but I have found this really interesting and would love to see how they both are doing on their new raw diets. Im really considering putting my Kenai onto a raw diet, certain reasons regarding his health, and its great getting a lot more information to re-read whenever I need it :)

Hope to read some more soon :)

xx