awful walks

walking my two is awful :( Im not enjoying it at all, I would walk them much further if I enjoyed it but i dont.

They spend an hour dragging me round the village.

ive tried the cannys, they still pull on them,

ive got semi-slips, they still pull on them.

I use the belt because my arms have not much strength in them and end up sore.

But i have to hold the leads as well with my hands near roads, I dont have the physical strength to keep correcting them so we just plod along the same old same old.

During the school holidays I cant walk them seperate either! I have to ship the kids next door to the inlaws so I can walk them because I cant walk the dogs with the kids!

:(

So after a walk I end up with sore arms, sore hands, bad back and stomach :(

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have u thought about trying the wydwl harnesses hun? i never enjoyed walking Blaze either as he used to just pull constantly , so much so i thought he would collapse he pulled that much (the noise was horrible) but the harness has helped blaze loads he walks much better now n i actually enjoy walks again

n if they dont work u get your money back so it might be worth a shot

have u thought about trying the wydwl harnesses hun? i never enjoyed walking Blaze either as he used to just pull constantly , so much so i thought he would collapse he pulled that much (the noise was horrible) but the harness has helped blaze loads he walks much better now n i actually enjoy walks again

n if they dont work u get your money back so it might be worth a shot

I dont even know if alex is willing to try. firstly its another two harnesses to buy. secondly is it even strong and sturdy enough for him? and thirdly I dont know if it would work for him. I mean no other non pulling things have worked

nothing worked on blaze n this has , n hes not been able 2 escape it or break it n he broke his ezydog

u can borrow skylas if u wanna try it , but its pink lol

n if they dont work u get ur money back ;) lol they look flimsy but are REALLY strong material

aww poor storm!!! lol can imagine him ruining his street cred in pink!

lol

I dunno I guess its something to talk to alex about.

aww poor storm!!! lol can imagine him ruining his street cred in pink!

lol

I dunno I guess its something to talk to alex about.

lol i know bless him but the offers there if u wanna try it lol , u can always borrow it for angel n then just get one for storm for now n then get one for angel at a later date

lol i know bless him but the offers there if u wanna try it lol ' date=' u can always borrow it for angel n then just get one for storm for now n then get one for angel at a later date[/quote']

thanks nix, shall speak to alex

most things can be achieved with consistency and patience...

taking the time to start again and treat them as pups and try try try and get them walking nicely..

whether you use a training tool such as a head collar or harness......

it can be done but you need time and a can do attitude

If your harness has a ring in front like

post-6960-1358606360965_thumb.jpg

just hook the leads there. I have this exact one and it worked to slow Ghost down still without having to buy a new one.

Recently mine started sniffing around a lot so we don't actually get anywhere... mainly when it's morning I (eat after we get home from walk) and we're on the way home. :facepalm:

It's unfortunate that there are no "Quick Fixes" with anything Husky.

If you want to train your Husky out of something that comes naturally to it i.e. pulling

then it takes time and patience,

Every day it will get a tiny bit better.

Until some time (it took a year to train our three together) down the line you realise

Oooh, look they are walking nicely now.

most things can be achieved with consistency and patience...

taking the time to start again and treat them as pups and try try try and get them walking nicely..

whether you use a training tool such as a head collar or harness......

it can be done but you need time and a can do attitude

Storm is an extreme case lol

Storm is an extreme case lol

Lol, you need to meet Bear, sounds like they have a few things in common! Before I got the wydwl I couldn't walk her as she'd knock me down/ drag me and I just couldn't stop her! She's fine on her own but put the pack together and it's a constant pulling competition to be out in front!

I think I'm going to invest in a WYDWL harness for my two. Bo's claim to fame is he succeeded in pulling out all the ligaments in my 6' 4" son's shoulders and he won't take him for a walk anymore. Injury took 6 months to heal. Where's the best place to get them from Nix? Do you attach the lead to the front ring and the back ring?

I think I'm going to invest in a WYDWL harness for my two. Bo's claim to fame is he succeeded in pulling out all the ligaments in my 6' 4" son's shoulders and he won't take him for a walk anymore. Injury took 6 months to heal. Where's the best place to get them from Nix? Do you attach the lead to the front ring and the back ring?
get them from [MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] , theres only one ring at the front , i have blaze attached to a semi-slip aswell just to be on the safe side

Contact member [MENTION=2703]Staceybob[/MENTION] she can supply you with WYDWL harness.

You attach them to the front ring,

the way they work is that when they pull the harness gently tugs them to the side deflecting them from the forward pull.

walking my two is awful :( Im not enjoying it at all, I would walk them much further if I enjoyed it but i dont.

They spend an hour dragging me round the village.

ive tried the cannys, they still pull on them,

ive got semi-slips, they still pull on them.

I use the belt because my arms have not much strength in them and end up sore.

But i have to hold the leads as well with my hands near roads, I dont have the physical strength to keep correcting them so we just plod along the same old same old.

During the school holidays I cant walk them seperate either! I have to ship the kids next door to the inlaws so I can walk them because I cant walk the dogs with the kids!

:(

So after a walk I end up with sore arms, sore hands, bad back and stomach :(

What do you usually do when they pull?

Ours used to pull like a little train, he was seriously awful so we did start using a prong collar, at the advice of our trainer at that time. I know that lots of people are against prong collars, but I think in extreme cases they can be beneficial for both the owner and the dogs!

Obviously, walking them is a nightmare for you and I am guessing that since they are pulling that much, they can hurt themselves too, so it's not good for them either. I was not that keen on using the prong collar in the beginning, but after seeing the difference it made, it felt differently about it. I do think mine had a better time with the prong as he was not constantly pushing himself against a flat collar and hence choking or desperately pulling on the harness, literally dragging me down the street. We were able to walk normally with the prong.

Now I usually walk mine on a regular harness, as I don't like the idea of using the prong collar still and even though it doesn't give me that much control, I've managed to make him behave normally on the harness. But my parents claim that when they try to take him out with the harness, he pulls like mad, so I don't know what to say. Having been able to walk him on the harness without any pulling at all, it makes me think that they also have a bad walking "technique" if there's such a thing, I am guessing that he knows they will tolerate pulling from him, whereas I will correct him if he does it.

I do think that there are things you can do to improve the situation. You have to correct them every single time they pull though, otherwise they will never learn.

Since you're just walking around your neighbourhood, you can try turning around when they start pulling. A boring walk? Yes, but after a few weeks they will have learned that getting the leash tense only means not getting anywhere. Initially, when I start doing this, I felt like it was a waste of time because I'd spend 20 minutes not being able to move more than 20m from my block. So I'd walk him for an hour, but in effect, we were just going back and forth rather than going anywhere.

Anyway, all that paid off in the end and even if it takes a long time, if you don't allow them to pull (you don't need a lot of strength to stop them! all you need to do is just go slightly laterally to the direction they're pulling in, this will throw them off balance and they'll have to follow you) it will be better in the end. And I am really not a strong person, I also have knee and back issues, but now I am able to walk him on a harness, which is something I would not have imagined doing 2 years ago.

I would just bin the walking belt to be honest and just use a normal leash and a coupler for them.

I have alternative harnesses that are more robust Louise but work on the same purpose. I need to come see you really so I can analyse the way your pair walk as every dog is different. Then you can implement training with the tools.

Stacey xxx

Yes i intend on messaging u on fb.but my phone.is a pain to type long.things out. Ive been too busy to get laptop.out and ive got work at 4 and now.have.to be dragged aroubd again