Please help ASAP

Applebear

I just went thro major surgery and unable to care for my pets, particularly Rolyx. I knew he was going to be difficult as did friend who agreed to take him. But day two and she is all ready saying she thinks she has to crate him all the time...which we all know is going to happen with a husky mix. He is poop and pee marking her new carpet and her dog and him are always fighting over food and toys.

I am trying to think of ways to take care of him myself but I rly don't think I can. I have even considered returning him to shelter or rehoming....I just can't bare the thought of getting him back with all the work I put into him shoved out the window and I can't blame friend but he takes a super firm hand otherwise hell bully and walk all over you.

Please help...I don't know what to do. I should be resting and instead I am sitting here fighting tears. I feel like such a failure and horrible person.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

If your friend can't continue to look after Rolyx then

Perhaps you might be able to put him with a local dog charity they might be able to put him in temporary

foster care until you are fit enough to look after him yourself again.

Try contacting our members [MENTION=1869]sutsibe[/MENTION] and [MENTION=53]Austinville[/MENTION] they may know which charities may be able to help you.

Did they really fight? He could just be trying to overtake your friend's place and show the other dog that he's the star there. My mom came over with her dog 2-3 weeks past and hers tried to do that here. ^ He barked and went at Ghost but he went into warning mode to say the other dog "back off". Also, the other dog marked our floor that it's his -__-'.

Other than that, is there a dog hotel in your area? If you need a lot of time to recover, try asking them if they'd give you a a discount and that you'll provide food or have someone do the walks (with you) on weekends or so. Good luck, be strong!

I know a lot of it is trying to find his place in the group...so far he hasn't done anything unexpected. Everything I warned friend about and told her it was important to be very firm with him. I said if it got to be too much, just take time out and put him in crate...and I guess deep down, I knew this was what was going to happen...I guess I just didn't think it would be this fast or upset me as much as it is. Ro is smart...this is part of the problem. If u are firm and willing to follow through....I have no real issues at home with him and my other dog...but I MUST be firm, once he sees he can't bully you...he falls into his place. I use a lot of nilif and I realize he is still a pain, but he absolutely has no problem seeking weak points and working it to his advantage.

The kennel I found near me is 14 bucks a day and does not discount. My recovery time isn't real solid right now, could be anywhere between 4-8 weeks. I'm hoping less but it is important not to push it.

Apryl, first there's no reason to feel guilty or like a "bad momma", you've given Rolyx a home and right now you ca't take care of him - that's not your fault.

I agree, talk to Becky and sutsibe ( both of whom have already been tagged here ) both of whom are also in Iowa - I'd be pretty sure that one of them, if they can't help directly, can point you to someone who can.

Lastly, your friend - unless she's been around him a lot - really didn't know what she was getting into. And, being a good Husky Rolyxx is going to push every button of hers that he can find.

I Hope everything - your recovery first, and then dogs works out well! :grouphug:

Apryl, first there's no reason to feel guilty or like a "bad momma", you've given Rolyx a home and right now you ca't take care of him - that's not your fault.

I agree, talk to Becky and sutsibe ( both of whom have already been tagged here ) both of whom are also in Iowa - I'd be pretty sure that one of them, if they can't help directly, can point you to someone who can.

Lastly, your friend - unless she's been around him a lot - really didn't know what she was getting into. And, being a good Husky Rolyxx is going to push every button of hers that he can find.

I Hope everything - your recovery first, and then dogs works out well! :grouphug:

Thanks for the helpful and kind words....I'm sure I'm over sensitive as well (yay drugs) but she is rly upset ATM. Now her dog is peeing on her new carpet. She's been around ro a lot but I think she has hard time being assertive.....u have to be willing to get tough and not bbe afraid to get assertive. Once he gets u aren't going to let him make the rules...he turns it around fast.

i just msged back I'm trying to figure something else out, even of I have to return him...she's rly upset and tho she doesn't blame me....i feel so much guilt. Ty for listening to me.

Sutsibe would be more apt to be able to answer about any local assistance. She has more experience with rescues than I do. Will keep checking back.

Thanks Becky.

I suggested you and Gigi as you are . . ahem. . . local and might know who could help in your state.

Just a short update, I talked to someone who has a connection with a kennel. They talked to them and said they would take Rolyx as long as I needed, but I needed to give them a week for a space to clear up. I talked to friend, she is going to try to make it work a bit longer and then he will be going there.

Thanks for listening to all my drama, but I am very grateful and happy a solution was found. :)

Happy you found a solution :) About the fighting with the other dog over toys/food, that's just how Huskies are, they have to have everything, selfish breed :P

Thanks guys and for listening to my insanity. :) And yes, they are a very selfish breed...lol Ro attacked my little guy twice the first week I had him. I put NILIF in full force and that helped GREATLY. The two eat/drink side by side now, but it's a whole different game when I'm not there and is new dogs. I'll be glad when this is all behind me. :)