Breedist and Sizeist and interfering people

while we had a great day today we encountered several versions of these people.

Most people there were great and really friendly and nice and welcoming. Despite the fact we had a different breed.

One person speaking to a person walking past Storm said "im not going near him hes dangerous and agressive" WTF? seriously? Anyone who knows storm will find this hysterical.

Me and my stepdad were dealing with an issue between my mums male 2 year old tt and Angel. Where Angel wanted to play with Bear and Bear has dog issues and was being slightly agressive. Nothing we couldnt handle. we were just trying to get them to be near eachother with no problems.

Some busy body nosy moo came up to us and had a go at us and said that we shouldnt be doing that near other dogs and kids (meaning mine). DOING WHAT? we werent doing anything!!! She said the barking was upsetting and bothering other people and dogs.

Umm yeah dogs bark at dog shows!

ANd its not as if the tts were being well behaved either! most of them were barking and having a go at other dogs. And Alex saw a woman beating her dogs over the nose with a lead!

The last show we attended was a comedy. I was with my friend that owns Central Asian Shepherd Dogs to watch the Guardian group and while the Black Russian Terriers were preparing to enter the ring, some woman walked straight up to a handler, with her toy dog, and wanted to pet the dog. The BRT is one of the most aggressive breeds. They are part of the active attack breeds in the guardian group. The woman actually had the gall to be angry when the dog almost took her face off. Even show dogs will only tolerate so much.This is why people should learn etiquette before attending or handling at shows.

On the flip side, I've watched parents pull their kids away from the siberian ring to avoid those vicious dogs. Just more proof that we had better get a hurry on helping fight BSL before we are all hiding in the arctic with our Siberians.

The last show we attended was a comedy. I was with my friend that owns Central Asian Shepherd Dogs to watch the Guardian group and while the Black Russian Terriers were preparing to enter the ring, some woman walked straight up to a handler, with her toy dog, and wanted to pet the dog. The BRT is one of the most aggressive breeds. They are part of the active attack breeds in the guardian group. The woman actually had the gall to be angry when the dog almost took her face off. Even show dogs will only tolerate so much.This is why people should learn etiquette before attending or handling at shows.

On the flip side, I've watched parents pull their kids away from the siberian ring to avoid those vicious dogs. Just more proof that we had better get a hurry on helping fight BSL before we are all hiding in the arctic with our Siberians.

Oh i agree i worry when its the huskys turn :(

The amount of people like that i've seen at various events is silly! Why people go to dog shows and expect perfect behavior just makes me laugh!

exactly loads of different dogs/different smells different people

we went to one in birtly in the north east of england and there was a burger/stall right kinda in the arena bit, this one bloke moaning these dogs are making a terrible racket. I thought yeah thats because the dogs howling are next to the burger stall the smell of it was making me hungry god knows how the dogs felt.

exactly loads of different dogs/different smells different people

we went to one in birtly in the north east of england and there was a burger/stall right kinda in the arena bit, this one bloke moaning these dogs are making a terrible racket. I thought yeah thats because the dogs howling are next to the burger stall the smell of it was making me hungry god knows how the dogs felt.

Poor dogs :( Swear people just go to events like that to cause trouble

Geez! What is wrong with some people?!

I have to admit, there is a local 'fun' dog show on near me next Sunday that I was thinking of going to but I'm beginning to think twice now.

I've never been to a dog show before; are there always arsey people around? If it is normal, I might just give it a miss.

Geez! What is wrong with some people?!

I have to admit, there is a local 'fun' dog show on near me next Sunday that I was thinking of going to but I'm beginning to think twice now.

I've never been to a dog show before; are there always arsey people around? If it is normal, I might just give it a miss.

not usually. you have to remember this was a breed specific show and although they say "all breeds welcome" you will find a few snobby people who wont appreciate your non-breed dogs being there.

to some people "fun" dog show does not mean "fun" its a competition, plain an simple.

But dont let my bad experience put you off, it hasnt put me off. I still plan on going to many more. x

not usually. you have to remember this was a breed specific show and although they say "all breeds welcome" you will find a few snobby people who wont appreciate your non-breed dogs being there.

to some people "fun" dog show does not mean "fun" its a competition, plain an simple.

But dont let my bad experience put you off, it hasnt put me off. I still plan on going to many more. x

It's not your bad experience per se that has put me off, hun. It just didn't enter my 'busy' brain that there might be some very competitive people around on an annual local show that is supposed to be a 'fun day out'. I was told about the show by our neighbour and he happened to mention that there's a dog show as well.

I guess I took it on board as a possible event to attend during the summer holidays in order to keep my teenage daughter from getting too bored. Having given it some thought, I might not go, but if I do go at least I am better prepared now and can warn my daughter not to take any notice of grumpy adults. :D

It's not your bad experience per se that has put me off, hun. It just didn't enter my 'busy' brain that there might be some very competitive people around on an annual local show that is supposed to be a 'fun day out'. I was told about the show by our neighbour and he happened to mention that there's a dog show as well.

I guess I took it on board as a possible event to attend during the summer holidays in order to keep my teenage daughter from getting too bored. Having given it some thought, I might not go, but if I do go at least I am better prepared now and can warn my daughter not to take any notice of grumpy adults. :D

oh hun dont be silly. Of course you should go.

Ive been to loads where theres been lovely people there!

Oh i agree i worry when its the huskys turn :(

I absolutely hate BSL laws and think its the equivalent of racism in the human world, but i swear, the day they come after my boy, they will be sorry. I agree we need to work our hardest to abolish this law all together, i cant believe people who have no ideas about dogs are the ones who are in charge of their fate!

I once had someone tell me my boy was dangerous because he was a husky and a larger breed of dog, to which i replied that their 8 year old son was quite big for his age so surely i should drag my dog away from him because he too was dangerous? Lets just say she didnt bother saying stuff about Kai again.. :)

I absolutely hate BSL laws and think its the equivalent of racism in the human world, but i swear, the day they come after my boy, they will be sorry. I agree we need to work our hardest to abolish this law all together, i cant believe people who have no ideas about dogs are the ones who are in charge of their fate!

I once had someone tell me my boy was dangerous because he was a husky and a larger breed of dog, to which i replied that their 8 year old son was quite big for his age so surely i should drag my dog away from him because he too was dangerous? Lets just say she didnt bother saying stuff about Kai again.. :)

oh me too. in fact my mum wants to comment on the tibetan terrier forum about people discriminating against dogs for their looks lol. Shes not happy her furry grandson was picked on lol

"Pet-people" vs "Dog-People" is the way a lot of my trainer friends describe it. Pet-People tend to be very new to the competitive dog scene. They are often unaware of competition etiquette and boundaries. They also don't realize that not all the dogs at the show will be friendly despite being calm and surrounded by a lot of people and dogs. Which is what we suspect happened with the BRT, as the AKC was hosting a "My Dog Can Do That" (terrible idea) in the same venue as the show.

The dog people, on the other hand, have at least some basic understanding of canine behavior and will ask to pet dogs. They understand that the handlers have worked very hard with the dog and may be too busy to answer all the questions. Usually they have also taken the time to look up show etiquette.

For example, after we watched the guardian group show, we took her CAS puppy to the mini agility course they had set up for the My Dog Can Do That event, we were immediately set upon by a Pet-Person who completely ignored every attempt to tell them to keep their dog away and continued the "my dog is friendly" tirade until our guardian breed roared and startled the whatever doodle into backing away. We calmly but with purpose walked away from the area, meanwhile the Pet-Person and their dog continued to approach the other dogs and owners.

Most of the people here are Dog-People. We have taken the time to learn about dogs and understand and respect their behaviors.

what my mum posted on the tt forum

Over the weekend we went to the TTA/TTBOC show and fun day. As it was my daughters birthday we decided to make it a family day out, taking my two TT's and my daughters GSD/Husky and Husky. During the day my son-in-law heard a woman say to another woman "im not going near that thing he is dangerous and aggressive" directing the comment at Storm (the GSD/Husky), this upset my daughter when he told her. If she had bothered to speak to any of us she would have found out that Storm is the kindest friendliest dog you could wish to meet. He is big and sometimes difficult to hold on to as my son-in-law is quite slight. Storm has been brought up from a tiny puppy in a family with young children, and Angel the Husky is a rescue dog who was il treated and my daughter has done wonders with her, although she is still a little nervous she has never been agressive to anyone.In fact the only dog she barked at were my own family dogs. It was a totally uncalled for comment, you wouldnt judge a person just by their looks so why judge a dog. ?? But thank you to the people who bothered to speak to us about them, incidentally we had a lovely time apart from that, thank you for all the organisers, it was a shame about the weather, but it was a nice day apart from that.

id love to organise an event/fun day where people get to come along, and meet different breeds and get an understanding of them, a meet and greet sort of thing.

glad you had a good day besides the obvious x

they have similar that at the discover dogs at crufts.

and now its own show in november.

id love to organise an event/fun day where people get to come along, and meet different breeds and get an understanding of them, a meet and greet sort of thing.

glad you had a good day besides the obvious x

We went to a new one back in June, great day out http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/42247-husky-owners-at-canine-capers?highlight=brian+brown!