soon to be new husky owner with some questions

SkunkApe

Hey everyone,

I am a soon to be new husky owner. I've loved huskies for as long as i can remember and have been doing research on them for a few years now, but i know research can only go so far until you actually have the dog icon_smile.gif

The husky I am getting is a rescue. He is about 1.5 years old. I will be getting him in roughly 3 weeks when i move into my new house. I met him over the weekend and loved him right from the start. The rescue did mention how calm he was for his age, and they were right. He was very well behaved, very calm/mellow and seemed very loving. Spent about an hour and half getting to know him. Once we left, he was very good...didn't whine at all (until one of the other huskies started whinging/howling) then that got him going haha.

As of now he knows many basic commands (sit, stay etc) He is house trained and crate trained, however the person at the rescue that works with him said she would continue doing more crate training.

few questions i did have:

Even with great crate training, can i still assume there will be some whining/crying at first when bringing him into the new house into the crate? I've read the crate training thread on here, but would anybody have any other tips/opinions on how to get him used to the crate in a new "area"

I see that most say "crate will be your best friend" which i can see it trust from a lot of the stories i've read on here, however what are people's opinions on keeping the husky out of the crate at night and in a dog bed of some sort in the same room and have him sleep there at night? is that really not recommended or does it really depend on the dog and how he acts in general?

Any other suggestions or opinions for a new husky owner would be greatly appreciated as I will be new to this breed icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advanced!

Hi and welcome! :D

Congrats on re homing - it's so rewarding :) x

I've always crate trained my boys and as long as you don't use it as punnishment eg they did something wrong so go for a time out in there you'll find given time he will more than likely wander in of his own accord. I often find one or 2 of my boys in their crates fast asleep at night if we stay up later than normal lol

take it one step at a time - with having him sleeping with you - this may create separation anxiety when you do crate. If you do want him in there i'd suggest for now, get him used to the crate for a few months, let him feel secure in where he is then if you do want him in with you - maybe alternate it every other night for a while and see how he goes.

Other tips? Hmmm get a brush or a few lol one like a rake is really good for when they blow their coats (oh that reminds me get a good hoover too lol)

have different toys for him but alternate them so he doesn't get bored :)

I'm sure you'll get loads of other bits of advice but if you need anything at all just shout up xx

Oh ps - when you do get him pleaseeeeeee post some pics - we're all a bit picture crazy here! LOL

Hi, and congratulations on your soon-to-be. :)

I don't use a crate, didn't know about them honestly. Ghost likes sleeping in our bedroom because he sleeps where I am. (Moves from room to room as I move.) He's a very good sleeper and most of the night he stays in our bedroom (just changing sleeping places in the room). I'd say it depends on the dog. Ours was unfortunatelly not very well potty-trained because I'm a tight sleeper and after few nights he'd just not wake me (not even my alarm) so he kind of learned to do it in the hall, so we'd close him with us in the room and he was like that able to hold it till morning. Now when older, my bf got alergic to his anti-tick collar, so we tried keeping him out, didn't work well, he really wants to be in the same room as me/us. :D

Some people actually sleep with theirs. Ours sleeps on the bed only sometimes and even that in the mornings when I don't want to go out with him yet (he likes our futon, so he's okay with that:rolleyes:) and that usually lasts for 30 mins max. then I do have to wake up lol.

If you will crate him, have the crate first in your bedroom and slowly move it outside. Since he'll be very thankful for the new home I believe he'll want to be with you most times. :D

Oh and PICS! ;)

Luka is crated during the day when i go to work and is fine with it. He doesn't mind going in there but i make sure i leave him a toy and a kong. I usually also throw a couple of treats in there before i walk out of the door just to make him happy.

As for the night, luka sleeps in the bed with me and the OH. i wouldn't have it any other way. He doesn't seem to have separation anxiety over it but at the same time he's been doing it since he was a puppy. I would probably agree with Sarah and gradually get him used to sleeping somewhere else if that's what you want.

Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a husky! it is one of the best experiences i've ever had. you will never find another animal like a husky. and ask all the questions you want, that's how i learned anything i know now. :)

Glad to hear you are giving a husky in need a new home! I crate all 3 of my dogs and wouldn't not crate train a dog since I started using this method. Two of my dogs were allowed to sleep outside their crates at night in our room as they are house trained and not in that puppy stage anymore. But then one day I woke up to my telephone line chewed to bits. So they are back to sleeping in their crate lol. I say it really depends on you and on the individual dog and how well they do at night.

We dont use a crate ( anymore ) . We started by giving everything in her crate. Food, chewies, toys, water. EVERYTHING. This will associate his crate with good stuff. So its a good place. When he's comfortable in it with the door open. Give him a treat ( Kong, chewie whatever ) , and close the door for a minute. And open it again BEFORE he starts complaining. ( so maybe it wont last a minute ) . Build this up , and there you go.

We never used the crate for real purposes because she's a pretty good girl. So now she just has her own blanket :)