The Dreaded Dry food Question?

Osinn11

We are currently feeding Science Diet Advanced Fitness. This is what Cj was being fed when we rescued her back in April. From what I've read Cj doesn't seem to be much different than any other Husky, picky and doesn't care to eat alot at one time, but now that she's settling in we are thinking about mixing another food in with the Advanced fitness. Suggestions?

I've read through most of the dry food posts and TOTW seems to be a dry food that pops up quite abit. It seems to get good reviews however I've also seen and read Food Recalls. I'd like to get some advice/opinions form all of you.

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered a million times.

We are currently feeding Science Diet Advanced Fitness. This is what Cj was being fed when we rescued her back in April. From what I've read Cj doesn't seem to be much different than any other Husky, picky and doesn't care to eat alot at one time, but now that she's settling in we are thinking about mixing another food in with the Advanced fitness. Suggestions?

I've read through most of the dry food posts and TOTW seems to be a dry food that pops up quite abit. It seems to get good reviews however I've also seen and read Food Recalls. I'd like to get some advice/opinions form all of you.

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered a million times.

When we got Luka he was on purina puppy chow. I thought it was not a good food for him. full of grains, cheap, etc.

We switched him over to TOTW. I didn't have any issues with recalls because my provider never sold any that was recalled and the bag i had was fine.

I don't know much about Science Diet but if you want my honest opinion as far as kibble goes, hollistic is the way to go. I would switch her to something better for her and grain free. Luka is now currently on Fromms and he's done very well with it. Orijen is also VERY good so i've heard.

A great website to check on foods is dogfoodanalysis.com

They rate and rank all the foods.

Edited by LittleLuka
her not him ;)

When we got Luka he was on purina puppy chow. I thought it was not a good food for him. full of grains, cheap, etc.

We switched him over to TOTW. I didn't have any issues with recalls because my provider never sold any that was recalled and the bag i had was fine.

I don't know much about Science Diet but if you want my honest opinion as far as kibble goes, hollistic is the way to go. I would switch her to something better for her and grain free. Luka is now currently on Fromms and he's done very well with it. Orijen is also VERY good so i've heard.

A great website to check on foods is dogfoodanalysis.com

They rate and rank all the foods.

I will check it out. Thanks!

I just want to start off by saying SD is one of the worst foods I feel on the market today. Nothing but by-products, fillers, and chemicals. I do feed TOTW to all 11 of my kiddos and have never had an issue nor was our area affected by the dreaded recall. I love TOTW due to the fact it is a balanced food that works for all of my dogs (varying from 20lbs to 120lbs) no matter what we are currently doing with them.

Thanks for the input...about the Science Diet we have thought this as well...but wanted to get Cj in and adjusted before attempting to change her to a food. (We hear alot about the label on the bag...it is recommended by Vets)

Does your pack prefer one flavor over another? I've read many folks like to rotate.

I would agree on SD. It would not be at the top of my list. One thing to keep in mind when it comes to dog food labeling, there are buzz words used that really do not mean the food is good or bad. Words like premium, holistic, natural, fall into this category. It boils down to reading and understanding the ingredients list.

Some ingredients to avoid.

Byproducts

Digest

Corn

Wheat

Soy

Brewer's Rice

Animal anything listed, if a specific species like beef, lamb, chicken etc. it is OK.

There are some quality grains like barley, oats, and rice that are usually fine. Barring those grains, most kibble will be made with potato or pea flour or sweet potato flour.

Look for a food at 24% - 32% protein and no more than 15% - 18% fat.

Also look for a food with zinc listed along with omega 3 & 6. Chelated minerals are a plus.

We feed TOTW and alternate formulas. But in this hot weather when our Huskies are not as active, I have them on Diamond Naturals. It is not grain free but contains no corn, wheat or soy.

Edited by Mazz

Thanks! I will look into this as well. :D

I'm guess we will start a food change this weekend. We want to be around home while starting the change over. What would a good food ratio be old food-with new? Cj weighed 48lbs at the Vets office yesterday.

I have Panda on Acana, same company that makes Orijen. He's been doing very well on it.

He was on ToTW prior to switching to Acana, Both are good quality kibble, just seemed to like Acana more. Acana is a little more expensive then ToTW where i live, about $10 more per 30lbs bag.

As to the ratio with old food with new you can check out this thread.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/19995-What-to-feed-how-much-to-feed-and-how-to-feed

Edited by sjwrx

I have Panda on Acana, same company that makes Orijen. He's been doing very well on it.

He was on ToTW prior to switching to Acana, Both are good quality kibble, just seemed to like Acana more. Acana is a little more expensive then ToTW where i live, about $10 more per 30lbs bag.

As to the ratio with old food with new you can check out this thread.

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/19995-What-to-feed-how-much-to-feed-and-how-to-feed

Excellent I'll look at Acana too. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

TOTW? Good choice. Make sure to transition gradually from the old foot to TOTW. Plan on seven to ten days to make the transition. Otherwise, you risk tummy upset. You also won't need to feed as much TOTW as you do the current food.

The weird thing about Huskies is that sometimes you can spend out on the very best quality ingredients

the most expensive quality kibble and your Husky just is not interested in it.

You buy the cheapest low quality bottom shelf rubbish from Walmart and your Husky scarfs it down like it was prepared

by a top Michelin chef.

[MENTION=1354]Andy[/MENTION] The reason for that is the lower grade, rubbish food add a lot of sugars and that is what they are after. K-9's are just like humans, they love sugars. What one needs to look for in any dry food is, no wheat, corn, starches, saccarides. You want to look at are your first three ingredients. They should be a protein, vegetable and a source of oat, brown rice flour or garbanzo bean flour. A great magazine to receive is the Whole Dog Journal. They have wonderful articles on canned and dried foods. They are a non-biased and never get paid from advertisers. They are like "Consumer Report" but for the dog world.

We are going to slowly start mixing it in with her current food. I think she will actually want to eat the new food! Tonight she already nosed through her food and picked all the good stuff out first! :D

Sneaky girl.