Shadow caught a rabbit

Stormy

At Robs parents house they have two BIG fields that we let the dogs run around in (whichever field doesnt have the horses in at the time) ... anyway Shadow the other day caught a rabbit but i think it was already dead he brought it towards the top of the field where we were and just stood next to it so i went and got it he let me take it no problems!

My question is why didnt he eat it? Is it because it may have already been dead? And i was quite shocked at how easy he let me take it then again he does let me take bones etc!

Haven't had a catching issue yet, but from experiences I read here and elsewhere, they usually kill it play with it and leave it. Maybe he doesn't like rabbits or wanted you to skin it for him? ^^;

And you're his owner, it's a good thing he lets you take things easily.

Haven't had a catching issue yet, but from experiences I read here and elsewhere, they usually kill it play with it and leave it. Maybe he doesn't like rabbits or wanted you to skin it for him? ^^;

And you're his owner, it's a good thing he lets you take things easily.

Who knows there was no way i was skinning it for him!! lol Hes eaten rabbit as i get him rabbit in his raw diet now and he likes it lol

If he's not eaten an animal like that before then he probably didn't recognise it as food. Kiska caught a blackbird once (it was tied to a bush because it was caught on fishing line :( ) and she seemed pretty shocked, she dropped it as soon as I asked :P I've ordered the pups some whole rabbit, I'm curious to see if they'll actually eat it!

If he's not eaten an animal like that before then he probably didn't recognise it as food. Kiska caught a blackbird once (it was tied to a bush because it was caught on fishing line :( ) and she seemed pretty shocked' date=' she dropped it as soon as I asked :P I've ordered the pups some whole rabbit, I'm curious to see if they'll actually eat it![/quote']

That will be interesting definately get pics of that!!!

I've just done my DAF order and got an assorted box of meats so i can try some slightly different ones to see if Shadow will like other flavours (hes so fussy!)

Misty hunted and had no problem with rabbits. I think the comment about it being already dead comes into play as Misty would "play" with a carcass and wanted her meat fresh.

I had to laugh at "didn't know what it was" - no, I don't think so; they seem to know what's edible and what isn't.

I've had rabbits run in front of the jeep as I'm going to town and back; Misty would go nuts she wanted out to get lunch!, Avalanche just wants to go play and Sasha glances at them and ignores them ... who knows what goes through the minds of our furry friends?

one jumped into tamaska s mouth once and he downed it in one...no really.. was walking and a rabbit literally jumped out in front of us... tolka used to catch kill an bury them then dig it up the next day and eat it....this was at our old beach which is like watership down first thing in the morning...