Worst walk ever!

MollynDiesel

First walk with the Xtra dog walking harness and i have to say, not great :( Pulling no matter what i did, had to go back to his halti (which makes people avoid us) so wasn't a great start to the walk :(

...5 mins in 2 kids came running out their house towards D shouting "dog, dog!" 1 then asked "does he jump up?" quickly followed by "I don't CARE if he jumps" Very sternly told him i DO! Then carried on walking while Diesel was still looking behind him jumping a bit because i think they freaked him out a bit...

...10mins later we got to a road that has 3 lanes and people go stupidly fast on it! There was a man on a bike coming towards us so i moved out the way like i always do for anyone walking, cycling etc (towards the road since he was on the other half of it) about a meter away he decided to move over and cycle the same side we were walking! Right into us! So we couldn't move around him since the horrible road was 1 side and his bike was blocking the path forward. He then asked if he could stroke D, while he was already reaching out almost touching his head. At which point D starting freaking out because there was a strange man on a bike slightly scaring me right next to a road! I replied "no he's headshy" so the man tries to cycle in between me and D while he's freaking out! I stand my ground and he eventually goes around us. It took me a couple of mins to calm D down enough to get him walking again but he kept jumping at everything and every person the rest of the walk home :(

This is the first walk i've done on my own at the new house and its really knocked my confidence since i rarely go out on my own :( I'd come so far with my confidence! But i fear this 1 little event may have completely thrown me back again :(

Diesel was also so much better with people touching his head but now i think this may have set him back aswell :( We're both feeling a little sorry for ourselves atm i think but after a total disaster of a walk, i can safely say, when the sun goes down the weirdos come out!

:cookies:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First walk with the Xtra dog walking harness and i have to say, not great :( Pulling no matter what i did, had to go back to his halti (which makes people avoid us) so wasn't a great start to the walk :(

...5 mins in 2 kids came running out their house towards D shouting "dog, dog!" 1 then asked "does he jump up?" quickly followed by "I don't CARE if he jumps" Very sternly told him i DO! Then carried on walking while Diesel was still looking behind him jumping a bit because i think they freaked him out a bit...

...10mins later we got to a road that has 3 lanes and people go stupidly fast on it! There was a man on a bike coming towards us so i moved out the way like i always do for anyone walking, cycling etc (towards the road since he was on the other half of it) about a meter away he decided to move over and cycle the same side we were walking! Right into us! So we couldn't move around him since the horrible road was 1 side and his bike was blocking the path forward. He then asked if he could stroke D, while he was already reaching out almost touching his head. At which point D starting freaking out because there was a strange man on a bike slightly scaring me right next to a road! I replied "no he's headshy" so the man tries to cycle in between me and D while he's freaking out! I stand my ground and he eventually goes around us. It took me a couple of mins to calm D down enough to get him walking again but he kept jumping at everything and every person the rest of the walk home :(

This is the first walk i've done on my own at the new house and its really knocked my confidence since i rarely go out on my own :( I'd come so far with my confidence! But i fear this 1 little event may have completely thrown me back again :(

Diesel was also so much better with people touching his head but now i think this may have set him back aswell :( We're both feeling a little sorry for ourselves atm i think but after a total disaster of a walk, i can safely say, when the sun goes down the weirdos come out!

It happens molls. Some walks are good some bad. You remind yourself of the better ones and learn from the bad. X

Aww,know how you feel.Worst walk for us was when our 4 chased a neighbours Weimaraner .Ours came back and theirs didn't:(.We then had to go on a search,fortunately we found the Weimaraner and she was fine.I went round the next day with a pack of dentastix and a big apology.It sure does knock your confidence when you have a bad experience.Sometimes I wish I has a miniature poodle instead!!:rolleyes:

:grouphug:

Can totally sympathise with you, Molly. I still have flashbacks of sliding across wet grass and then hanging on to a large tree trunk for dear life while Molly and Timber tried to drag me across the park to see another dog. That tree was a life saver!

Oh wow! That sounds scary!

Aww,know how you feel.Worst walk for us was when our 4 chased a neighbours Weimaraner .Ours came back and theirs didn't:(.We then had to go on a search,fortunately we found the Weimaraner and she was fine.I went round the next day with a pack of dentastix and a big apology.It sure does knock your confidence when you have a bad experience.Sometimes I wish I has a miniature poodle instead!!:rolleyes:

Wow! Glad you found the Weimaraner :) haha nah the little dogs are the most hard work!

:grouphug:

Can totally sympathise with you, Molly. I still have flashbacks of sliding across wet grass and then hanging on to a large tree trunk for dear life while Molly and Timber tried to drag me across the park to see another dog. That tree was a life saver!

i can relate to that one too..my two drug me across the yard to catch a squirrel, ended up sliding into the orange tree and i was so angry until they stopped to come see if i was okay and gave me the i'm so sorry licks :rolleyes:

Oh thats reaaly bad, dont worry though, itll get better, kai also gets spookecd very easily, verey very eailsy, he sometimes will stop at teh slightest sound and you can see how scared he is however i always remind myself, its not mine or kais fault its other people most of the time, sometimes you have to be very blunt and say no you cant touch my dog because u ran straight up to him and scared him, dont worry, dont let it knock your confidence its ok we all have those days :)

Oh thats reaaly bad, dont worry though, itll get better, kai also gets spookecd very easily, verey very eailsy, he sometimes will stop at teh slightest sound and you can see how scared he is however i always remind myself, its not mine or kais fault its other people most of the time, sometimes you have to be very blunt and say no you cant touch my dog because u ran straight up to him and scared him, dont worry, dont let it knock your confidence its ok we all have those days :)

I think i will definitely have to be more blunt in the future. Its more fair for me and D :)

I think i will definitely have to be more blunt in the future. Its more fair for me and D :)

Most definetly, i used to try an be nice but realised i was putting myself and kai in unfair situations, now if someone approaches in the correct way and ask i let them stroke him otherwise, i just say no sorry youre scaring him and walk off, may seem rude but my boys safety comes first ... And Good Luck, Hopefully it'll be ok :)

:grouphug: Keeto is a nightmare on his harness too, I did the same the other day & changed him back onto his dogmatic for walking on the pavement. Only using his harness now if he's on the walking belt away from roads :rolleyes: Edited by Lisa (Fragglebabe)

Most definetly, i used to try an be nice but realised i was putting myself and kai in unfair situations, now if someone approaches in the correct way and ask i let them stroke him otherwise, i just say no sorry youre scaring him and walk off, may seem rude but my boys safety comes first ... And Good Luck, Hopefully it'll be ok :)

Thank you :) I'll give it a go next time :)

I had a bit of a bad moment when I took spike out last month, we was walking past the football fields and there is a skate park. not much will spook spike but this kid came shooting past us on a scooter and really close it made spike jump and take a bolt but i held him back and just stroked him to calm him down but after that he was fine and we carried on our walk, just wish they wouldn't come so close and give us a wide berth.

I had a bit of a bad moment when I took spike out last month, we was walking past the football fields and there is a skate park. not much will spook spike but this kid came shooting past us on a scooter and really close it made spike jump and take a bolt but i held him back and just stroked him to calm him down but after that he was fine and we carried on our walk, just wish they wouldn't come so close and give us a wide berth.

Yh i wish people would just give dog owners a bit of space. I like talking to people but there are times and reasons that being avoided is fairly nice