New dog to the family... Jealousy

shellbateman

OK, so I have taken in a foster male for around two and a half/three weeks now. After the first week with my boy Sammy I thought they weren't going work, they had a fight on the saturday which seemed to have put them in their places seen as neither came ontop. The following week they settled a lot more but Sam gets very jealous of Storm even if he is just walking through the house which results in him being pushy and bullying him almost. Poor storm is unsure of Sam now, he will go out of his way to get away from him when in the house or if he is near us. Sam himself has only been here 6 months so understandably is a little unstable.

I have been equally training the two, also praising Sam for not reacting when Storm comes close up. I will also distract him when I see him baring his teeth, make him sit and praise him again if he doesn't follow through with a threat. I want to get Storm to be confident too as him creeping around doesn't help, nor does hinding under the coffee table!!! Outside Storm will give as good as he's got, they will play lovely and Storm will be full on with him so he isn't scared as such... On the walks they are brilliant, they work together in training and Sam really shows his leader role. I ran them together last night and they were amazing, Storm also helps Sam with his SA and get on beautifully when they are alone. So it is literally to do with us, I am alone with them most of the day and have very little issues as I ignore them most of the time so neither has my attention and them trying to get it doesn't happen, however, when it comes to others that's when problems start. My parents don't pay much attention to my training methods as they feel it is just down to me!!!

I have been thinking adopting Storm full time, but I don't want him living a life where he feels this isn't his home as much as it is Sam's.

Does anyone have any training tips for me to stop Sams aggression towards Storm? I am working his aggression in general, he is very possessive , being starved and abandoned previously plays a part, but I feel I need some feedback from other owners to see what I might be doing wrong. Any info would be brilliant!!!