I might finally be employed!

Hyshqa

Woke up this morning to a call from a lady saying I'd applied for a job at her rescue center and was I still interested in the position! I'd applied a few weeks back and never heard anything, she said they thought they'd filled the position but the job had become available again. She's asked me to come in for 2 trial days (tomorrow and Monday) to get a feel for the job and so they can see how I'll do and I'll get shifts from there. I'm guessing this is where the first person went wrong - either they decided they didn't like it after this trial or the staff there thought they weren't right for the job. Either way, it means I get a chance :D

A bit about the job: it's with Last Chance Animal Rescue in Edenbridge, Kent (http://www.lastchanceanimalrescue.co.uk/). They take in dogs, cats, rabbits and guinea pigs who are in need of rehoming. A lot of these dogs come from pounds in Wales - they drive up there once a week to collect dogs on death row, they'll pick them up the day they're due to be put down so for a lot of these dogs they really are their last chance. They take care of them, get them healthy again if they're sick, and find them new homes. I'll be working as an Animal Care Assistant. My duties will basically be to care for all the animals; clean out kennels, pens and cages, prepare and serve food, etc, walk the dogs, fuss the cats and small furries, and I'll also be providing aftercare for animals that have just come out of surgery etc, so it's sort of a vet nursing job too. The lady on the phone said I'd have the opportunity to help out with the veterinarians too, going into surgeries and stuff (I won't be operating of course, lol!). It's a full time job, 8am-4pm, but they say staff are obliged to do 2 'night shifts' a week. These are on top of the 5 regular day shifts and involve a couple of extra hours work from 4-6pm to make sure all the animals are settled for the night, and then sleeping on site until 8am when the rest of the staff come in. I mentioned that this might be a problem as I have two dogs and asked if it would be possible to bring them with me for the night shifts - she said she didn't know exactly how that would work as she didn't know what would happen with them during the day (since the day shift would run right into the night shift), but she said something could be worked out :D Worst case I can leave them at home, my parents wouldn't mind at all, I just don't want my parents thinking I've just assumed that ;) It's only minimum wage, but the night shifts are paid as overtime at higher rates, and they said they'd want to train me up to work on the rehoming side of the centre so I'd eventually be helping to home check, assess dogs, match up the right dogs to the right people, etc, and be helping them to find their forever homes :) This I believe pays at a higher rate too, so it can only get better! :yahoo: The only downside (literally the ONLY thing) is that it's an hour's drive away. But considering the job seekers people expect me to apply for positions up to an hour and a half away, I've done alright :rolleyes:

SO excited to start tomorrow! And I've got everything crossed that they think I'm alright for the job :clap:

Thanks guys :)

yay good luck kiddo, rather you than me if i worked in a rescue centre i would just spend all day booing lol

I am worried I might end up coming home with all sorts of animals now! :P There's always room for another dog or ten, isn't there? :P