What have i let myself into

hornet

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lots of love, laughter due to outright disobedience, cuddles, patience, training (or him training you), an escape artist, drive like none other (whether to chase a leaf down the road into full blown traffic or simply to tackle the cat inside the house), funny sleeping postures, oh this list can go on and on!!! hope other chime in! welcome <3

A lot .......... they are a handful, but so worth every minute :)

They are:

stubborn (some of them are extremely so)

Escape artists

High prey drive

Some have sensitive stomachs so you will need to find a food that agrees with him

You will also need to be firm and consistent when training

They are not off-lead dogs

They play very rough

........ but, they are also lovable, funny, and a delight to have around :)

Most of them love hugs and kisses - on their terms of course :rolleyes:

Welcome to the wonderful world of everything husky :yahoo:

welcome to husky ownership....

they are a sometimes difficult and stressful breed but if you do your homework and put the work in then you will have a lovely happy dog.......

if you have any questions then post up.....we have lots of members and there is always someone who knows or has experience...

no question is too silly or embarrassing

good luck

Sadly it means that while most dog owners get a relatively short walk as their dogs tire themselves out running all over, us husky owners need to walk the full mile with our dogs to tire them out. But honestly, work hard on teaching your dog to walk to heel and having your pal right by your side (occasionally glancing up at you with a stupid "smile" on their face) beats walking solo while your dog does its own things hands down :) and a 30 minute walk goes by in seconds!

You can get long line leads, extra strong retractable leads (make sure the lead is a tape line, not string) to give them a bit of breathing/sniffing space.

You've done a great thing rescuing your new friend though :) and you came to a great place to get your questions answered. Good luck!

at 6 months pup is too young to go on a bike or scooter

rule of thumb is 5 mins of exercise per month they are...

please dont let the pup off lead..... their prey drive is too high and huskies will run away and not come back

you can tire a puppy out in a garden with play time and mental exercises....

long leads are brilliant when you want to give pup more room to play whilst keeping him safe....

they can be bought from most petstores...

with the exception of the rough play they are similar in a lot of ways to a setter( we have had 2) STUBBORN, need lots of exercise and hard to control prey drive. Our setters actually had pretty good recall until there was a hare involved then nothing would stop them. Our huskies are a lot calmer in general than the setters but a bit more cat like in nature. Both our setters were about 12 before they came out the puppy stage. The main difference is the amount of hair, expect tons of the stuff everywhere.

just wondering what i wil have to put up with

A whole world of Wonderful.

but only if YOU'RE prepared to put the hard work in.

Huskies have been likened to having a new baby in the house.

YOU have to change your life around to accomodate all their strange behaviours.

They are NOT like any other dog.

Flip everything you think you know about dogs 180 degrees and you'll be getting close.

Good luck and. . . . .

post-1354-13586065089975_thumb.jpg

hiyaa :wave: welcome to the world of husky ownership ;) these dogs are so much fun but they can be downright annoying too LOL their personality is truly colorful, soon you'll find yourself unable to imagine a life without them :P any questions just shout up :) we're here to help ya!

Welcome to husky owners Bob. You have been told rightly when you have been told not to let off the lead. Huskies have a high prey drive which tends to mean they eventually run off. There have been people who have done it here, and ended up loosing their dogs even when they thought it was safe. :(

Stick around, chat to people in some of the conversations. You will soon pick up on what to do what and what not to do. We tend to have a "learn from each other" approach on here as with some things you will find what is good for one husky doesnt suit another. Food being a good example lol.

Thanks for all your replys, looks like i'm on the right place for any help

And i think i'm going to need it after seeing the state of the kitchen when we got up this morning

Oh pics of anything destroyed are a must! You have to remember that what your annoyed about in the morning is usually a source of high amusement LOL .... Welcome to owning a husky LOL

I will echo what everyone else has said. Our huskies have been very sweet natured...but can be "aloof" (our previous husky, Kate, was more aloof but we rescued her as an adult. She was still very sweet). One difference we noticed between our huskies and our lab is their attitude towards food. We pick a high quality dog food and Zoya will eat if she is hungry (she usually is!). Congratulations and welcome! :)

Thanks for all your replys, looks like i'm on the right place for any help

And i think i'm going to need it after seeing the state of the kitchen when we got up this morning

Oh dear :eek: I can just imagine, but like Marc says, pics are a must, in fact, keep your camera within arms reach at all times.

This is a recent thread started with some really funny (?) destruction pics - just so that you don't feel too alone :rolleyes:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/44208-My-Husky-The-Destroyer-Share-yours-with-us?highlight=microwave

Oh dear :eek: I can just imagine, but like Marc says, pics are a must, in fact, keep your camera within arms reach at all times.

This is a recent thread started with some really funny (?) destruction pics - just so that you don't feel too alone :rolleyes:

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/44208-My-Husky-The-Destroyer-Share-yours-with-us?highlight=microwave

Got to say i did laugh at those pictures, but i am now looking for a kennel for garden

Bob, I'm one of those people Marc was referring to. I live in the desert southwest with virtually no neighbors anwhere close. I had a beautiful silver Sibe who liked to run and hunt - and she always came home when I called, until one night she didn't ... and prey drive is only part of it, they were bred to run and given the chance, most will run for the sheer joy of it ... with you trying to catch up!!

I now have two, an Alaskan and a Sibe - who get to go out on 100 ft leads but otherwise are contained to either the house or a 30 foot lead.

Welcome to the forum and as everyone else has noted - pictures are a must!