Fleas?

BAGRI

Mika has been itching like crazyyyy...yesterday i saw a brown speck on his face. I took it off and looked at it closely and saw it had legs moving.. It was probably the size of this exclamation mark. !... I have him a bath and he seems to be itching muh less but unseen a couple more of these on his face.. I am taking him to the vet regardless But wanted some insight as to what this might be.. Fleas? Ticks? Something else ? Thanks a lot!

It sounds like fleas. Do you use any sort of flea prevention for him? I would strongly recommend using Frontline or Advantix, especially in warm weather (pretty much everything over 15 degrees C).

It's also important to make sure that there are no fleas/flea eggs left in your house (they can just jump off the dog and hatch eggs which stay in your carpets/furniture for years). Before doing any chemical treatment though, I would vacuum all the house to try and catch all of them. All floors can then be washed with chlorine to kill all the eggs and you can use diatomaceous earth for your carpets as it will kill all flea eggs.

Also, wash all of her beds, toys (especially fabric ones) and all human bedding that she has been lying on.

I would also confine Mika to only one or two rooms in the house until she is treated for fleas so that you minimize the chances of fleas spreading to other places in the house.

Just another tip - if you are giving her a bath, start with the head as typically fleas will want to avoid water so will go on the highest point on the dog. But if the head is wet they'll have no where to go. There are anti-fleas shampoos you can use. And you vet will probably decide what flea treatment is best for Mika, but there are various flea powders, sprays, even pills and the topical treatments like Frontline.