Puppy has the runs!!

DanDan

Hey all,

We have 2 new members of the family both gorgeous little girls. (will keep scuba happy)

Only problem is that one of them has bad runs?

We have tried the traditional stave for 12 hours and then bland food (boiled chicken and rice).

We need to get this cleared up so they can have there injections as the vets wont do it if one of them is not in 100% health.

Please help.

Sometimes they have runs from eating too much, try giving the one less food, if the next stool is getting better add more food. Stay with the rice and boiled chicken still.

Anyway, what else did you feed it? Did the previous owner give you the food they were on or did you introduce it to a new food right away?

They were on the same food for a week or so after we got them and then we changed there food. one of the pups is fine with it but the other is just water out the butt.

Did you change it like 3/4 of the old food 1/4 of the new food -> 2/4 old, 2/4 new -> 1/4 old 3/4 new -> 4/4 new? A.k.a slowly introducing the new food? Huskies have pretty sensitive stomachs.

get some raw chicken wings (never cooked) and break them up (decent scissors will cut them up)

feed them those the bones will help "thicken" them up.

then reintroduce the kibble in tiny amounts slowly building until the stools start to soften then back it up

you'll have found the correct amount.

Sibes have VERY fussy stomachs.

Never give them human food.

No bread or wheat products of any kind.

If in doubt chicken wings.

• 5 weeks later...

I am having the same issue with Yukon. Since Labor day he has had the runs. I kept him off food for about 12 hours, and started him on a bland diet of rice and chicken for 3 days. It actually got worse, so I went back to his food and it firmed up for a couple days, but for the last 2 days it is been back to runny, like pudding. I have been switching his diet from Wellness to TOTW so I figure it is from that, but I have been slowing introducing it. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday was 75old/25new and today was 50/50. It is driving me crazy!!! I tried everything, and even got antibiotics from the vet to help with it, but it's still runny.

I am having the same issue. We adopeted our two last night, and they have the runs horribly. Needless to say my steamer got a run for the money this morning, p.s. putting vinegar in the water of your carpet cleaner is like magic!!

Anyway, I put them on new food. Wellness. The breeder was feeding them some horrible Kroger bought food. I am going to make them some chicken and rice tonight and see if that will help at all. Thanks for the tips ya'll!!

Raw chicken will often help, as will cutting back on the amount - even a little too much food tends to give my crew the runs! Some foods are more calorie dense, and they'll need less of them to remain solid. My guys are mostly in an indoor/outdoor kennel situation (I have cats, too, and most of my Siberians are typical - Get kitty - KILL kitty!), and in the winter when I need to get extra calories into a couple of them, I will add in some Metamucil (Psyllium fiber) with their dog food - along with some water. It absorbs the moisture and binds to the food, causing it to remain in the system longer, allowing it more time to be digested and to get into their system - and comes out more solid, to boot!