is this tattoo story for real?

loops

Since I've had the opportunity to get a tat ( or several ) for little or nothing and choose not to, I can somewhat relate to "Tess".

On the other hand, though she is definitely "over the top" with her reaction. I choose not to have any tats - so far - but if *you* do then that's your choice. Why this stated feeling of betrayal? She ( and her husband, presumably ) raised their son to be independent - that's what good parents strive for. Had he done any of a number of other things that might have caused him to end up in court then I *might* be able to see her viewpoint. Since he seems, from her viewpoint to be a pretty good kid ( at 21?!? ) all of her justifications and rationalizations for her feelings really fall short.

I think the article is "real" but intentionally taken to an extreme simply to show what some people's reactions to tats or piercing, etc can be ...

my mother told me my entire life to never get a tattoo and how much she hated them. i waited till i moved out, paid all my own bills, and got one. she got over it in about a day. the bottom line is it's my body, i'm the one who has to live with it for the rest of my life and even though she is my parent i've reached the point in my life where she does NOT make my decisions for me, i do. i think this mother is completely over the top and it's kind of annoying to me how dramatic she is over the whole thing.

Not to mention, i would say 98% of my friends have tattoos. It's part of the younger generation. When i'm 60 years old, more than likely everyone my age will have tattoos.

I understand completely the mother's feeling's. My son got his first tattoo at 18, while he was in his first year of college. He was living away from home and out on his own for the first time. I knew he would eventually come home with one as he had been talking about it since he was 16. I've never been opposed to tattoos...actually, I find most of them fascinating. My reaction wasn't quite that over the top, but I do understand the feeling that my son was no longer the "little boy" that I so loved and raised to be independent. That one act, of getting his first tattoo, proved to me that the "apron strings" had indeed been cut. He's 32 now and has multiple tattoos....one arm is an entire sleeve. It's really quite beautiful. He has them where they can be covered if need be. He says he has plans for more, but he's not hurrying into anything. In fact, he got me so interested in tattoos that even I've gotten 2 small ones over the last 2 years! When all is said and done, they're still you're children, whom you will always love...it's just that first "letting go" really hurts. :)

I can understand to an extent, but think she is definitely over the top - to loose the close bond you have with a child over a tattoo is ridiculous to say the least.

My father has tattoos on his arms and as he got older and moved into managerial positions they became a problem so he always wore long sleeved shirts. He always told us DO NOT COME HOME WITH A TATTOO :rolleyes: I suppose, because he regretted getting his.

A couple of years ago, I got one on my wrist where the whole world can see it. I was extremely worried about my Dad's reaction (even at my age, I listen to my Dad) but he is fine with it - he just didn't want us to do something when we were young and regret it for the rest of our lives.

Three of mine have a tattoo. My girls only small ones, tokens really and my youngest son a larger one. They all talked about having a tattoo done when they were younger an I told them all the same thing. When you're 18 and an adult what you choose to do is up to you and if you respect me and are mature enough, you'll wait. They all did and even asked me again if I minded once they were 18. On the other hand, they OH daughter asked about getting one at 16. She was told the same. A few weeks later it emerged she'd had one done when she accidentally on purpose left her purse at ours containing her bus pass negating her getting to college and therefore getting the day off an being able to meet up with her boyfriend.( what a coincidence) the receipt was in her purse. Once her mum found out she threw her out of the house. She'd also lied about her age to get it done.

My mum cant say a word about tattoos as she has one but i know she doesn't like how many i have and she will like it even less come the end of next month...... and obviously im not in a position to object to my son getting a tattoo but i will make sure he knows what he is getting himself into...... i will give him a list of tattoo artists (that are amazing artists) if he chooses to go against my advice.... well he has to live with it..... once he hits 18 he is legally an adult and i will have no say in his overall choices at the end of the day all i can do is advise..... i have done what i wanted to so now its his turn

I think this might be how my mum would take it, I don't think she likes tats. I don't have any "yet" but would like to have 1. But I have come to realize that a tat is not always just a spear of the moment thing but a tat can have meaning to it and to that person it maybe personal.