Policeman shoots barking dog in US

Dunc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Poor pup! In most states pits are labled as a "vicious breed" so when he saw the dog coming at him he probably asumed it was going to attack, although what most people dont seem to realise is 89% arent at all! Its not the dogs breed but the owner who makes a vicious dog! If one of my dogs thought i was in danger they would bark like crazy, theve even barked at my husband coming in the house while ive been sleeping before untill they realised who he was.. although all your in danger of in my house is death by kisses lol!

omg! poor dog! he was just protecting his collapsed owner!! :( glad he didnt die , hope he recovers tho poor pooch

Poor dog.Looks like an owner who can't care for him,and then he gets shot.Lets hope his luck will now change.

???? his owner had collapsed? the dog was protecting him ????

I wonder if he uses the same response when confronted by an aggressive human

Well, it is NYC the city with the largest collection of paranoid people in the world. Don't explain what happened to the owner, I'd presume heat stroke <???> I hope the do a review of his shooting, damn, shooting at a dog on the city streets - ricochet's could have done a lot more damage to the crowd than the dog would have!

Hope the owner and dog both recover and get to enjoy years together - someplace else!!!

im sure theres other ways to restrain the dog or distract it without having to shoot it

Look at the pictures again Nix please tell me you got maybe 10 sec if your lucky............

Don't get me wrong here I hope the dog pulls though If it had been one of our officers he would of had to pull his baton and hope he catches the dog in the right place before he is bitten :(

Look at the pictures again Nix please tell me you got maybe 10 sec if your lucky............

Don't get me wrong here I hope the dog pulls though If it had been one of our officers he would of had to pull his baton and hope he catches the dog in the right place before he is bitten :(

I agree 100% Dunc. What are the other options he could have used. Should he have said, "Bad dog" and hoped for the best. They were trying to help his owner.

Well, it is NYC the city with the largest collection of paranoid people in the world. Don't explain what happened to the owner, I'd presume heat stroke <???> I hope the do a review of his shooting, damn, shooting at a dog on the city streets - ricochet's could have done a lot more damage to the crowd than the dog would have!

Hope the owner and dog both recover and get to enjoy years together - someplace else!!!

or he was on drugs/ drunk... etc.

@Dunc Unless I'm seeing this wrong, the cop was waiting to get a shot. He had his gun drawn before the dog came toward him.

The man was homeless, lived on the streets and according to comments he dog was often seen in front of the KFC so apparently was NOT seriously dangerous.

What would I do - I'd back off, the dog was doing what it knew to do in NYC - she was protecting her owner the best way she could. If they can get 15 cops there in a few minutes, one of them must have had a pole, it wouldn't have been that hard to restrain her. Some <many?> EMT's carry capture poles for just this eventuality.

Here's the medical report on the dog ... hope the poor girl and her owner get a LOT of help!

or he was on drugs/ drunk... etc.

Regrettably that's a good possibility in NYC but it appears to just be 'normal' seizure.

Edited by Al Jones

@Dunc Unless I'm seeing this wrong, the cop was waiting to get a shot. He had his gun drawn before the dog came toward him.

The man was homeless, lived on the streets and according to comments he dog was often seen in front of the KFC so apparently was NOT seriously dangerous.

What would I do - I'd back off, the dog was doing what it knew to do in NYC - she was protecting her owner the best way she could. If they can get 15 cops there in a few minutes, one of them must have had a pole, it wouldn't have been that hard to restrain her. Some <many?> EMT's carry capture poles for just this eventuality.

Here's the medical report on the dog ... hope the poor girl and her owner get a LOT of help!

Regrettably that's a good possibility in NYC but it appears to just be 'normal' seizure.

have you read some of the comments on this page? i'm sorry but i'm so sick of people attacking different breeds of dogs. this is why i try to avoid the media articles.

omg! poor dog! he was just protecting his collapsed owner!! :( glad he didnt die , hope he recovers tho poor pooch

???? his owner had collapsed? the dog was protecting him ????[/quote

not sure why he had collapsed though,could be through drugs/ alcohol....who knows,but let's hope not.

have you read some of the comments on this page? i'm sorry but i'm so sick of people attacking different breeds of dogs. this is why i try to avoid the media articles.

You know I use to read through comments all the time but stopped for the most part because they upset me so badly. You'll read a lot of ignorant hate and fear filled comments toward pit bulls and I'm just tired of reading things that are untrue and upset me. Then you have the comments that are educated that show facts and what not from breed advocates but they fall on deaf ears and are ridiculed. Stories like this really upset me so like you I just typically avoid them and look for positive ones, which are there if you look hard enough :D

I get it that he felt threatened - but it was just a dog, for God's sake!

I think it's seriously worrying that a policeman would think it's okay to fire a gun in a public place just like that. From what I can see in the picture, the dog was protecting the owner. I don't think he would've attacked the policeman if he'd just moved away, so there were alternatives.

But of course, violence is the easy way.

the thing is, my storm lunges at people to say hello, even if hed been on a lead can you honestly not say that cop wouldnt have shot him? for trying to say hello?

(before anyone tackles the lunging issue i do have stacey coming in sept)