Maybe I should have gotten a cat...

Kodah's Mom

Hey all - found this site while looking up information on a furbaby that's facing the death penalty for being - wait for it - a DOG. Saw a thread on here where people were talking about him, his case, how ridiculous it is, etc - then saw that this site was about Huskies. I decided I should sign up.

I have a 16 month old Alaskan Husky x Wolf (will I be accepted here? He's not one of those big beautiful fluffy Siberians, well, not purebred at least). He's still a Husky though, just with a few more breeds thrown in.

We live in Vancouver, BC, and we could both use some friendly tips and advice. Kodah needs to learn his manners and better recall, and Mom needs to work on her patience, understanding, and willingness to start walking more and hiding the boyfriends socks and tissues.

Wonder if there are any other Vancouverites on here?

I hope I can learn a few things from you guys - chat soon!

:wave:

post-8412-1358606629694_thumb.jpg

post-8412-13586066291472_thumb.jpg

post-8412-13586066295818_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to the pack , he is gorgeous :-)

and dont worry you will be welcome here cross breed or not , the members here even love my boy Bings who has no husky in him at all , hes a staffy x whippet :)

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

Edited by BingBlaze'n'Skyla

Hes an absolute stunner!!

However, you might struggle with certain training due to him quite literally having 'Wolf' in him? generally the Wolf side of him will be stronger than the dog side, so his prey drive will be much stronger than an ordinary pure breed Sibe Husky / Malamute etc.

Wolves have hunting, trapping, herding & fighting instincts in them, however with leadership, exercise and rules you shouldn't have any problems, many owners have had success with owning wolf-dogs as pets, so I dont see why you shouldn't either. Just be extra careful at all times, as once he reaches around 2 years of age the Wolf nature will start to fully assert itself. Not to scare you, lol - but my friend (moved to Canada 3 years ago) had one, and after he turned 2 he started being really dominant, it eventually led to him attacking next doors golden retriever and killing it. Weeks later he seriously attacked my friend (owner) and they had to have him put down. It can depend on how much wolf they actually have in them though, my mates was 50/50.

Funnily enough, I was on the phone with him last night and he was talking about it all (only happened 6months or so ago) after I told him about my little Siberian Husky puppy...

Just be careful thats all i'm saying, foretold is forewarned - an all that :)

Mark & Bowe.

Edited by s200rey

Welcome to the site.

Yes you are welcome here.

We are not one of those "Oh it's a crossbreed, you DO realise that you couldn't POSSIBLY register him with the Kennel Club" type sites.

We welcome all types of Husky dog.

And we have a special category of 'Honorary husky' for the other dogs in your pack who might not be 'quite a husky' like

my girly Echo a white GSD.

We have 2 Huskies Darwin and Daughtry. A White German Shepherd Echo and A Huskamute Malaki

We'll look forward to hearing how you deal with the training of such a unique breed. as yours is.

post-1354-13586066298994_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :) he must have lots of husky blood in him if he is stealing socks - they love socks for some reason :rofl: Lovely photos of your boy - love the pure joy at being able to run and play :)

Edit: If you click on the Membership Map tab on the main page you will be able to see if there are any members close to you :)

Edited by Rosemary

Hello and welcome! Echoing the others we welcome all breeds here. Glad to have you on the sight. Saw that you are working on recall, that can be tricky for most huskies since they love to run and have a high prey drive. As a rule of thumb most huskies owners keep their dogs on lead unless in a secure, escape proof area.

Kodah is beautiful by the way :D

Hey, and welcome to the forum. I buy my socks off the internet, all one color and all the same type - that way Avalanche gets one and I get one!! I have no idea how many socks I've pulled out of the dryer with "air conditioning"!!

I have to second the comment about keeping him on lead; Husky's are notorious for running just for the fun of it - the problem is that they don't always make it back (( experience is a very harsh teacher! )) mine, now, live on lead since there isn't anyplace I can take them to let them run - I do have a 100' rope with me so they can often get the feeling of freedom but with a Husky 100 ft is just a start!!

I see Husky and GSD in yours but you say wolf so I'll let well enough alone ...

Hey, thanks for all the replies! A pleasant surprise!

We hear how Kodah looks like a white Shep allllll the time. His mother was an Alaskan Husky (Siberian mixed with Greyhound, mixed with who knows, so it's very possible that he has GSD in him), and his father was a pure northern wolf - HUGE.

Being that he's a northern husky, it's impossible to know what he's mixed with. I had never heard of this type of Husky before, but I'm learning more and more every day.

I have a million questions - should I direct them at the appropriate thread, or should I mention them here? I don't want to be one of those newbs who post the same question as everyone else a million times rather than searching for a current thread - but I also don't want to be a thread jacker lol

In regards to him being off lead - it's only ever when we're at a fenced dog park, or out in the woods by a lake or somewhere where he can't bother people, or be in the danger of meeting traffic.

His recall at the dog park and in the yard is where we need to work on it the most. When he does sneak out and get loose (it happens), he'll run a few houses away then let my boyfriend pick him up like a baby (otherwise he'll fuss and fight if we try to grab him by the collar), and carries him home. He never goes to far, and he always comes home. So he's not too too bad, but still, I'd like to know that should he get out one day and I'm unable to chase after him, that he'll come back to me when I call him - without shaking the treat box lol.

Also, when it comes the socks, he's so strange! At first I would try to wrestle the sock from him, but that always ended in my fingers being nipped, or the sock (or dish cloth) being swallowed - whole. So now I've learned to just let him run with it. I know that's probably HORRIBLE, but it's better than him swallowing it and it getting wrapped up in his intestines. I've noticed that when I let him run with it, he just finds a hiding place, be it under the couch, behind the TV, or under one of the trees in the back yard. Then when he's not watching, I'll go rescue said garment lol.

Lately his "drop it/leave it" commands have been getting stronger. We just brought home a tiny Yorkie/Toy Pom cross (what on earth was I thinking?!), and her toys are tiny compared to his. Whenever he grabs one, I say "Drop it!" - and he does! He's getting so good and I'm so proud. Yay!

:bananadance1::lolman:

Hey, thanks for all the replies! A pleasant surprise!

We hear how Kodah looks like a white Shep allllll the time. His mother was an Alaskan Husky (Siberian mixed with Greyhound, mixed with who knows, so it's very possible that he has GSD in him), and his father was a pure northern wolf - HUGE.

Being that he's a northern husky, it's impossible to know what he's mixed with. I had never heard of this type of Husky before, but I'm learning more and more every day.

I have a million questions - should I direct them at the appropriate thread, or should I mention them here? I don't want to be one of those newbs who post the same question as everyone else a million times rather than searching for a current thread - but I also don't want to be a thread jacker lol

In regards to him being off lead - it's only ever when we're at a fenced dog park, or out in the woods by a lake or somewhere where he can't bother people, or be in the danger of meeting traffic.

His recall at the dog park and in the yard is where we need to work on it the most. When he does sneak out and get loose (it happens), he'll run a few houses away then let my boyfriend pick him up like a baby (otherwise he'll fuss and fight if we try to grab him by the collar), and carries him home. He never goes to far, and he always comes home. So he's not too too bad, but still, I'd like to know that should he get out one day and I'm unable to chase after him, that he'll come back to me when I call him - without shaking the treat box lol.

Please don't worry about asking the same question other may have asked in the past - you'll still get some great answers and although the same question may be asked 5 times in a week - the same answers won't always be given, each dog and environment is different :)

If you've got general questions you could post up a new thread or if you have one more specific say for feeding, you could pop that in the feeding section :)

Just shout up if you're stuck with anything or use the live chat feature at the bottom right x