Kodah's Mom

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome to another Canadian! Definitely not enough of us on here! :D

Alaskan husky isn't so much a breed, but a type of dog bred for certain desirable traits in racing. I'm no expert on sledding so maybe someone else can delve into it, but I believe they mix in other breeds to try to enhance strength and stamina.

I'm a big fan of making use of the 'search' feature to see if your questions have been previously answered already - more often than not there are a ton of existing threads on any given topic. Commenting on them brings them back to the top of the list, so you can always add and expand on existing material. You also have the added benefit of the people who have already posted to that thread being notified that it's been updated. But don't be afraid to start a new thread if you want/need to!

As I'm sure you'll learn on this site, Siberian huskies are renowned for their poor recall, and I can assure you this typically gets consistently worse as they approach and mature past 2 years old - in many cases they are hopeless off-leash by the age of 3, tops. Best advice I can give if to husky-proof your yard as best you can, and make sure he is ALWAYS wearing a collar with your address and contact information on it - it's gotten my escape artist home safely on more than one occasion!

Having said that, since you have a mix, you never know what you're going to get. I have a purebred husky who has never been reliable offlead, and I'm not confident he'd ever wander back home if he set to exploring. But my other - who is half German shepherd and thankfully gets his recall and obedience from his GSD parent! - doesn't tend to wander far unless he's following his intrepid brother. The one time he escaped by himself he was within hollering distance and came running the moment he was called. The other... well, let's just say an adventurous husky can cover A LOT of ground in a very short time!