equal oppourtunities?

Storm Angel n Auroras Mum

Its not really a massive rant but I figured it was better off here.

my issue, well theres a Shift Manager position going at my work and Ive been learning the ropes and i can do it all properly now except for taking off the atm. (which I need to learn hopefully today)

Weve just lost a step-up shift manager which meant she was a general assistant but did shift manager shifts too when needed.

Another shift manager is going to be de-moted, because she cant be flexible enough and do enough hours.

My issue, apparently it has been now decided a new rule when taking on new shift managers is that they have to be flexible enough to do openings. Which means you have to be at the shop at 5:30am to open for 6am.

Now, I can do openings on Saturdays and Sundays but because of the kids thats the only openings I can do.

So it seems me having young kids is going to get in the way of me getting this promotion, which bothers me. I mean whatever happened to equal oppourtunities?

I could do the shift manager shift everynight if they wanted or not do the friday or sat night and do the open sat or sun instead.

I left my manager a note last night saying to call me and we could sort out me covering some of the shift manager shits over the next few weeks, I know they are desperate to cover them.

I have no idea who im working with tonight as there was nothing on the rota! :confused: but i cannot work a shift on my own lol there has to be a minimum of 2 on.

So I guess it did kinda turn into a rant lol. :cookies:

It's unfortunate that there are some jobs which due to the restrictions of the job i.e.. unsociable hours / opening times etc.

mean that some people will be excluded from going for that position.

Sorry, that's the nescessities of the business it's not discrimination.

It's unfortunate that there are some jobs which due to the restrictions of the job i.e.. unsociable hours / opening times etc.

mean that some people will be excluded from going for that position.

Sorry, that's the nescessities of the business it's not discrimination.

well no not really Andy. its only those weekday mornings that I cannot do. Other than that I can do the job!

I dont see why I cannot have the job on the basis that I can do some hours and some I cant!

well no not really Andy. its only those weekday mornings that I cannot do. Other than that I can do the job!

I dont see why I cannot have the job on the basis that I can do some hours and some I cant!

and when the weekshift shift manager is sick and or on holiday they expect the other shift manager to cover those shifts, which you can't do.

It's not the company or the job which is stopping you from having this position. It's your infexibility.

It's a reality of the job that shift managers have to be flexible.

To fit you into this position they would need to employ more shift managers to make sure all shifts are covered

and the budget probably doesn't allow for that.

Sounds a lot like where my boyfriend works. They want him to take a key position which is a promotion up from cashier/sales associate but they want you to have open availability and a vehicle while on shift in case they need to go to the bank. Well he can't have open availability and we only have one car and since I started back at college yesterday I have to take the car while he's at work on 3 days. It just wont work for us but they keep pestering him to take it. Even if he could he wouldn't want to because of all of the stress and what have you.

One of the main key holders is a lot like you, she has small children at home and has to be there to get them off the bus in the afternoon. The store manager is getting huffy and mad because of this and told her "if you can't have open availability you can't be a key" Which they do prefer open availability but its not required so she had to talk to the human resource part so they could tell the store manager it wasn't required.

It really is unfair for employers to do things like that. A lot of people have kids and have to work and its hard to juggle both. Just because they have children or maybe some other responsibility that limits availability doesn't mean they can't work something out and still do the job. Here's hoping it works out for you and they can be flexible.

I am an area supervisor and I oversee 11 salons, and unfortuantly while I agree it's not 'right' that people have sick parents/ children/school etc which prohibits them from doing one simple aspect of a job while they are fully qualified in every other area, but then again..business is business and while it may not be right, it most certainly is fair. I understand that when I decide to have children I am not going to be able to perform my job at the level I am now, unless I have full care for a child at all times.

Im sorry this is happening to you, and I know I may get heat for this but look at it from a business standpoint: you have an appointment for your kids to get their teeth cleaned, you go to the dr and there is a sign on the door- sorry had to take care of personal issues be back later. That in convents YOU as the customer. It's the same everywhere you go.... Business is business and that's final.

I do however hope you may be able to open your mornings because it sounds like you are motivated Nd willing to do the job and coming from a country where people just collect unemployment and welfare checks but can afford an iPhone, speaks volumes.

Best of luck

I am an area supervisor and I oversee 11 salons, and unfortuantly while I agree it's not 'right' that people have sick parents/ children/school etc which prohibits them from doing one simple aspect of a job while they are fully qualified in every other area, but then again..business is business and while it may not be right, it most certainly is fair. I understand that when I decide to have children I am not going to be able to perform my job at the level I am now, unless I have full care for a child at all times.

Im sorry this is happening to you, and I know I may get heat for this but look at it from a business standpoint: you have an appointment for your kids to get their teeth cleaned, you go to the dr and there is a sign on the door- sorry had to take care of personal issues be back later. That in convents YOU as the customer. It's the same everywhere you go.... Business is business and that's final.

I do however hope you may be able to open your mornings because it sounds like you are motivated Nd willing to do the job and coming from a country where people just collect unemployment and welfare checks but can afford an iPhone, speaks volumes.

Best of luck

I was the manager of a 24hr store and petrol station.

and I agree that it may not be "fair" but it is business.

And when you have to justify every penny spent to your regional and national management teams you have to make decisions that

may not be the nice or moral or even the obvious thing to do, sometimes you are handicapped by the practices and policies handed down

to you by head office.

Best of luck

Thanks.

It will require dedication since i dont drive and the shop is a 20-30min walk! So id have to leave home by 5am. :o

Thanks.

It will require dedication since i dont drive and the shop is a 20-30min walk! So id have to leave home by 5am. :o

Oh, lordy I know about that!!

I get up at 4am leave the house at 5am and am sitting at work at 6am. . . sigh :(