Microchip Fail

Simon&Sophia

Had a letter through from the manufacturer of the brand of chip that Qilaq has, saying that there has been several chips in the same batch as hers develop a fault. Whereby, the chip fails to read. So we should take her to the vets to have it tested. So we did, and it didnt read. So she had another one free of charge - didnt move or blink. She's such a tank!

It was the brand Virbac, with the batch prefix "9000880" and surrounding batches.

Thanks for the *heads up*. Don't they get scanned after being implanted (or even before?) to check that the chip is working? Especially if done by a vet who will have that equipment

They do, yes. These chips apparently fail over time. So i have to return to the vets in a few weeks, and then months to see how this chip is doing. I asked about a possible rupture/degeneration of the silicone casing to the chip and apparently this wont have been the problem and shouldnt be a problem gong forward.

:)

I've heard of chips migrating around the body before but never failing.

We pop into the vets to get Bear/Ice weighed and scanned occasionally to check the chips still in place and see how much of a Heiffer she's become (Bear, that is) lol.

Thank goodness they sent you a letter to warn you is all I can say because god knows what could of happened if she'd escaped without a working chip.

i had one of those letters when I got back after my holiday last week and took Brooke on Saturday to have her chip tested and all was OK :) they never said about checking it again but thanks for the heads up on that as now each time I go to the vets I think I'll ask them to just check the chip :)

Storm's has been checked and is fine, however I did find out a little nugget of infro.

The chips that failed apparently did so when they warmed up to the dog's body temperature.

If they have been checked subsequently are found to be OK, then they are no more likely to fail than any other chip.

This obviously shouldn't be taken as gospel, and you should still have them checked if requested to do so.

That's a good idea to have the vet check at annual visits. I'm going to have to ask for that from now on or do it myself (my mom has one of those scaners for her rescue). As for the chips moving, at least at the shelter I was at, they check all over the dog's whole body looking for the chip. It's not very hard to scan the whole body and with chips migrating being common knowledge, I'm sure (at least I hope!) all vets and shelters check the whole dog and not just the shoulders.