Feeding: are you strict, or naughty?

Mollys_mum

I know that there are a few members out there trying hard to find the best food for their dog(s), but that aside, what 'tit -bits', extras and/ or naughties can you confess to feeding yours?

Here is a list of mine:

- cake (homemade)

-peanut butter cookies (no flour, so dog friendly)

-ice cream or homemade doggie lollies

- raw carrots

-greek yogurt

- frozen fish

-olive oil

-garlic

- Tinned sardines mixed in with kibble

-Cooked chicken skin mixed in with yogurt and kibble.

- Apple

- scrambled egg

take away pizza.:redface1:

-

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

our dogs eat anything and everything. but their favorite is stir fry vegetables. i have seen micha pull up carrots and eat black berries from the bush, also mulberries and green beans all raw.

we gave micha a carrot after she hadn't had one for a few weeks and after she had eaten it she sat in front of the fridge for another one.

Aww,Thanks for making me feel a whole lot better now Looby Lou.!!I can't stop feeding mine tit bits either!! The only thing I try not to give them is anything with sugar in it(Well just once or twice a week maybe!!).;)They get on a daily basis..Cheese,pringles/crisps,ham,lots of fruit,granola /crunchy cereal,left over rice/pasta,oven chips,yogurt (cartons to clean out),pizza and pretty much anything else that would go to waste.Afraid I'm a bad momma in that sense.Just can't say no to those begging eyes...!!And hate getting drooled on when eating my dinner..:rolleyes:

Aww,Thanks for making me feel a whole lot better now Looby Lou.!!I can't stop feeding mine tit bits either!! The only thing I try not to give them is anything with sugar in it(Well just once or twice a week maybe!!).;)They get on a daily basis..Cheese,pringles/crisps,ham,lots of fruit,granola /crunchy cereal,left over rice/pasta,oven chips,yogurt (cartons to clean out),pizza and pretty much anything else that would go to waste.Afraid I'm a bad momma in that sense.Just can't say no to those begging eyes...!!And hate getting drooled on when eating my dinner..:rolleyes:

:rofl:

Fantastic! And well done for being so honest.:D

only carrots and the occasional chew stick or bone, can't be bothered with cleaning up after runny tums. They get absolutely nothing from our plates as I can't stand begging dogs and they soon learn that they don't get our food. Most of our foody scraps go to our chickens( except chicken obviously) which Gem sometimes gets but only in her own dish not from our plates. I have always worked this way with all of the dogs we have owned. The huskies aren't bad but the setters we used to have could drool for Britain if they thought they would get scraps so we adopted the rule of no scraps away back then.

Nope! Strict with mine so all they get is what they can steal! :P Other than their dinners they only have actual dog treats, but they have to do something for them, they don't just get given a treat. Can't say the same for my family, God knows what they feed them when I'm not looking :@

only carrots and the occasional chew stick or bone, can't be bothered with cleaning up after runny tums. They get absolutely nothing from our plates as I can't stand begging dogs and they soon learn that they don't get our food. Most of our foody scraps go to our chickens( except chicken obviously) which Gem sometimes gets but only in her own dish not from our plates. I have always worked this way with all of the dogs we have owned. The huskies aren't bad but the setters we used to have could drool for Britain if they thought they would get scraps so we adopted the rule of no scraps away back then.

Aww,Good on you.I envy your strong will!!.Always wanted to do what you do,but failed miserably.Trouble with our lot is they all seem to have cast iron stomachs!!:rolleyes:Anything goes!!

Ghost gets fruits and vegetables mainly. His favourite is mango, when I'm in the city with him I usually buy us 2 apples because I usually forget to bring water with me; any kind of berries we have at home, tho' I'm careful with strawberries, pieces of peach (today he actually stole one from a couple at the park...), melons. From vegetables - carrots the most, green salads (rucola today) pepper (not the hot ones), broccoli.... We also have some herbs, so he gets a leaf of basil, mint or lemon balm.

As for meat and fish, my bf is a vegetarian so I don't usually bring/buy it for myself but when I do, Ghost gets some too. He gets tuna when I buy it, I tend to ask for more because I know, he'll be happy to help me with it. :D He DID steal the ham I meant to add to my lunch today though...

And lastly, pumpkin seeds. I used to buy unpeeled and extra salty ones for me, now when I go to market I buy peeled and unsalty pumpkin seeds for him too. :P

Yes!! Guilty as charged.!!Had some the other week.Bought it from Tesco,was mixed with sweet potato.They all wolfed it down no problemo !!:rolleyes:

oh good glad it's not just my bunch then lol I grated some for Dave (my bearded dragon) the other day and left a chunk on the side - went and put the food in Dave's viv and went into the kitchen and whoosh no more butternut squash lol

does anyone's furbies eat butternut squash?
My Gliders go bonkers for Butternut Squash! Dogdog hasn't tried it yet!

Cj gets on occasion, bits of cheese, frozen peas and carrots. That's about it. We don't let her have table scraps.

She also has 5 or 6 different dog treats we give her...but she also must do tricks to earn them.

Edited by Osinn11

cheese

pizza

cake

peanut butter

bread/toast

crossiants

tuna

chicken

carrots

apples ( he actually picked one off a tree on a walk so i had to let him have it :)

burger buns

pasta

tuna

egg scrambled or raw

mince

ice cream (just the cone)

and cat food, i know he would rather eat the cats food then his own lol :D

Nope, we are not so strict. Besides his kibble, ours gets carrots, liver, chicken, cheese on a regular basis.

Sometimes we also give him table scraps but nothing fried or too greasy, so it's mostly just grilled meat or veggies.

Now that it's summer he's also eating watermelon - I never thought he'd like it, but he does. So why not, we give him a little as well when we have it.

The worst thing he gets though is those Pedigree dental sticks - I've told my father to stop buying them as they always give him gas, but to no avail. He goes crazy when we get the pedigree bag out. Probably that's the equivalent of junk food for dogs.