Feeding: are you strict, or naughty?

Mollys_mum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ours get loads of raw meat, with hubby being a chef they get a selection weekly, chicken livers is a fav, not so keen on lambs liver tho. They sometimes get a bit of cheese but generally we don't give them anything with gluten/wheat in it other than pasta and rice- also not so much dairy other than the odd bit of cheese or a lick of mums ice cream - they both will go to the ends of the earth for a quick lick of dads John smiths tho hahahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I don't feed him human food that would obviously be bad for a dog because its too high in salt or sugar or fat. Marius gets:

-Apples

-Carrots

-Natural yogurt with no additives

-Plum

-Banana

-Raw chicken

-Raw beef

-Natural peanut butter (peanuts only no additives)

-Ice cubes o.O

-Unsweetened apple sauce

-Very rarely he will get vanilla ice cream

-Raw marrow bones

-Cottage cheese

-Pumpkin

That's all I can think of for now I guess you could say I'm strict then :P I make sure hes not getting any crap even when hes getting treats. When Akasha was really sick that one time the vet asked me if she had, had any cheese because cheese is actually very bad for animals the fat and salt content in it is really high and can give them pancreatitis which in turn will kill them so cheese is definitely not ever being fed to my animals and never has. Marius doesn't get anything with grains either not that hes sensitive to them but i knew huskies could be so I just have always given him no grain :P

One of the women on our prey model raw site just scored about a hundred pounds of snapping turtle meat, I thought that was pretty unique.

For our own kids, they get all kinds of bits of junk food once in a blue moon:

oatmeal

cheap store brand cheez-its

got a cooked and seasoned steak a while back

got some maple syrup sausages that got freezer burned

cornbread

kibble

frozen yogurt

yogurt (our cat turbo goes ballistic for peach yogurt)

cheese

hot dogs

We have given other things as one time only nibbles, but we mostly keep them to their normal food.

If I eat it Calvin normally gets a bit of it. Except chocolate he would have to tackle me to get me to share chocolate lol. So he has tried pretty much everything...from apples to crisps to sweets, he even gets his own mini cheeseburger when we make them lol. Calvin is spoiled rotten! I really don't know how he got so spoiled either lol :D

Ghost gets fruits and vegetables mainly. His favourite is mango, when I'm in the city with him I usually buy us 2 apples because I usually forget to bring water with me; any kind of berries we have at home, tho' I'm careful with strawberries, pieces of peach (today he actually stole one from a couple at the park...), melons. From vegetables - carrots the most, green salads (rucola today) pepper (not the hot ones), broccoli.... We also have some herbs, so he gets a leaf of basil, mint or lemon balm.

As for meat and fish, my bf is a vegetarian so I don't usually bring/buy it for myself but when I do, Ghost gets some too. He gets tuna when I buy it, I tend to ask for more because I know, he'll be happy to help me with it. :D He DID steal the ham I meant to add to my lunch today though...

And lastly, pumpkin seeds. I used to buy unpeeled and extra salty ones for me, now when I go to market I buy peeled and unsalty pumpkin seeds for him too. :P[/QUOT

ooooh, mango - must try that, and pumkin seeds too. I never know what to do with the seeds after Halloween.

ooooh' date=' mango - must try that, and pumkin seeds too. I never know what to do with the seeds after Halloween.[/quote']

A warning about mango, it's highly addictive :D and don't give them the pit, Ghost accidentally ate 2 because I wasn't fast enough >>' Any seeds should be good, but I don't want to turn him into a bird. Last time I even had to cook a chicken breast for him because he wouldn't eat it raw, lol.

I take cheese with us when I remember and we're letting them off somewhere. And they occasionally get carrot when I'm preparing some for us. We don't give anything else as Loki has such a sensitive gut :/ mopping the street like we've done in Keswick is not something I would want to repeat lol

I don't count what Safi gets as treats. She has roasted chicken (won't eat it raw) scrambled egg a little rice with a lot of coaxing. She's had in the past when she wanted to eat, cottage cheese, yogurt, white fish, salmon, chicken turkey, potato, scrambled egg an carrot. At the moment getting her to eat anything is a bonus.

Edited by Povodny

Cheese

Chicken

Bacon

Ham

sandwich meat

What ever she steals off the work top

veg

rice

Left overs from our dinner that she steals or we give her

Eggs

We are very slack we let her finish off our dinners meat wise and some veg if we have some and often share a odd take away with her.

post-2509-13586066788722_thumb.jpgOurs get peanut butter/pumpkin stuffed bones every time we leave them, and if we eat, they eat it unless it has onions or chocolate in it. Andy knows he always gets daddy's last bite. On Sunday a.m. we take them out to breakfast for egg bake, sausage and scones! Now there are some spoiled huskies...they even have friends looking for them at the coffee shop in the morning! This is what breakfast usually looks like ... from when Rynnie (Austinville) came to visit!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56479[/ATTACH]Ours get peanut butter/pumpkin stuffed bones every time we leave them, and if we eat, they eat it unless it has onions or chocolate in it. Andy knows he always gets daddy's last bite. On Sunday a.m. we take them out to breakfast for egg bake, sausage and scones! Now there are some spoiled huskies...they even have friends looking for them at the coffee shop in the morning! This is what breakfast usually looks like ... from when Rynnie (Austinville) came to visit!!!

Lol! That is just sooo naughty.:D

I completely and utterly refuse to say my furkids are spoilt and I think I am relatively strict when it comes to food. However, I have to admit the furkids are currently eating their second home made chicken stock ice lollies of the day. This is the only cooking that I do as I am an absolutely hopeless cook as my sons are happy to tell anyone and that this is why they can cook. The furkids also have a raw carrot everyday from my son before he goes to work. They are bought special for the dogs. Every Saturday morning I pick up 4 chicken carcasses for their weekend treat. The butcher always has them ready bagged up for me so I don't even have to wait. Currently the furkids are getting Greek yoghurt on their kibble as they have just finished shedding. Ollie has also just found the delights of eating blackberries and when walking him he likes to stop and select berries to graze on. I also give whole apples and have an apple corer specially for them so that I can get out the middle with the pips. Bo likes to play with his apple first but has to be careful as it is not unknown for him to be pouncing on his apple only for it to be stolen from under him by Ollie and then Bo sulks. They also like broccoli middles and pineapple. They do like bananas but you shouldn't give too much of this as it reduces potassium levels and therefore can be harmful.

I completely and utterly refuse to say my furkids are spoilt and I think I am relatively strict when it comes to food. However, I have to admit the furkids are currently eating their second home made chicken stock ice lollies of the day. This is the only cooking that I do as I am an absolutely hopeless cook as my sons are happy to tell anyone and that this is why they can cook. The furkids also have a raw carrot everyday from my son before he goes to work. They are bought special for the dogs. Every Saturday morning I pick up 4 chicken carcasses for their weekend treat. The butcher always has them ready bagged up for me so I don't even have to wait. Currently the furkids are getting Greek yoghurt on their kibble as they have just finished shedding. Ollie has also just found the delights of eating blackberries and when walking him he likes to stop and select berries to graze on. I also give whole apples and have an apple corer specially for them so that I can get out the middle with the pips. Bo likes to play with his apple first but has to be careful as it is not unknown for him to be pouncing on his apple only for it to be stolen from under him by Ollie and then Bo sulks. They also like broccoli middles and pineapple. They do like bananas but you shouldn't give too much of this as it reduces potassium levels and therefore can be harmful.

Another stunning example of a good mum. :cup:

However, you forgot to add the side order of peanut butter cookies and random bits of experimental cake that manages to 'escape' from my 'magic' bag when your boys see me.

Gosh, I'm such a deviant.:rolleyes:

Your right Nanci they are full of potassium and that is what I meant to write. The downside of too much potassium is it can reduce blood pressure. I suffer from low blood pressure and bananas although a slow release carbohydrate and packed full of goodness reduce my blood pressure further. Potassium is a maor electrolyte and works alongside sodium and chloride in an interdependent relationship. When sodium goes up (because you have eaten too much) potassium goes down and vice versa. So if you eat a lot of salt in your diet then eating something like a banana would be good for you. If you or you have an older dog or a dog with kidney problems it is not advisable to give them as they may cause problems. In healthy animals, including humans, too much potassium can be excreted in urine, but if not can end up hanging around causing problems. The three chemicals are really important for nearly every part of your body. I think I am just sensitive to foods high in potassium because I suffer from low blood pressure and when I recently had a surgery it was touch and go whether or not I ended up being moved to intensive care, not because of the operation, but because my blood pressure was so low and they couldn't get it up. Can't really remember much of the night except every time I got to sleep I got woken up. I found out later, i was being woken up every 30 minutes to have my bp taken.

Another stunning example of a good mum. :cup:

However, you forgot to add the side order of peanut butter cookies and random bits of experimental cake that manages to 'escape' from my 'magic' bag when your boys see me.

Gosh, I'm such a deviant.:rolleyes:

You're right. lol, you spoil my furkids and for that matter my human kids e.g. Daniel asking you to teach me how to cook. However, if we're spilling the beans. Whose 3 dogs NEVER get just kibble but have to have a tasty extra added to their food to the extent that their other human gets emails asking him to pick up goodies for the dogs on the way home from work so they don't have to eat just kibble?????? :)

You're right. lol, you spoil my furkids and for that matter my human kids e.g. Daniel asking you to teach me how to cook. However, if we're spilling the beans. Whose 3 dogs NEVER get just kibble but have to have a tasty extra added to their food to the extent that their other human gets emails asking him to pick up goodies for the dogs on the way home from work so they don't have to eat just kibble?????? :)

I'm sure I don't know what you mean!:redface1:

well I am usually fairly strict. What they do have they dont have all the time and certainly not everyday, but we do make them wait till we have finished first.

rice, spaghetti, leftovers from our dinners as long as its suitable ie meat and veg

(angel cant have rice)

if we have burgers or sausages they get a bit saved for them. or if we have a bbq they get a sausage

sometimes a tiny bit of homemade cake if its not chocolate.

they had their first ice cream yesterday

no sweets (unless the kids drop something :whistling:

well I am usually fairly strict. What they do have they dont have all the time and certainly not everyday, but we do make them wait till we have finished first.

rice, spaghetti, leftovers from our dinners as long as its suitable ie meat and veg

(angel cant have rice)

if we have burgers or sausages they get a bit saved for them. or if we have a bbq they get a sausage

sometimes a tiny bit of homemade cake if its not chocolate.

they had their first ice cream yesterday

no sweets (unless the kids drop something :whistling:

I guess I'm a bit like you with the leftovers. :)

I hate wasted food and would rather give it to the dogs or even our resident fox than throw it away. I don't add salt to my food and I'm extremely lean/strict with buying anything processed so at least I know what is going into whatever meals I'm cooking. I'm not a 'Jamie Oliver' by any stretch of the imagination but I do try and eat as 'natural' as I can for most of the week.

I guess I'm a bit like you with the leftovers. :)

I hate wasted food and would rather give it to the dogs or even our resident fox than throw it away. I don't add salt to my food and I'm extremely lean/strict with buying anything processed so at least I know what is going into whatever meals I'm cooking. I'm not a 'Jamie Oliver' by any stretch of the imagination but I do try and eat as 'natural' as I can for most of the week.

we have been known to even rinse off mince from leftover bolognese!