"If I didn't hold him"

simhauu

Here's my two cents. Yesterday I went out for the evening walk with Ghost. Since I am sick and alone with Ghost for 10 days I was happy to see this lady with her dog because they like playing together, so I let Ghost off the lead a couple times so they could play and I can save up some energy. Whenever I see another dog come nearby I put him on lead. Well going around this lake, our dogs somewhere ahead of us, I notice a pair of two women who were feeding ducks and one has a rottweiler. Ours play and don't see them so I leave him be. Well, the women decide to leave there and go left (our way). So Ghost, being the interested dog he is, noticed them and went to them. One woman held the dog (and gave him toy in his mouth) and the other tried to shoo Ghost away. I called to them that if they need, they can shoo him away more aggressively (i.e. push him). Then I ran up to them and caught Ghost and put him on leash. While I was doing so, the woman whose rottweiler it was, was saying to her friend "Oh what if I let him go that would be 'shoo-ing away if I didn't hold him'" and her friend laughed. My friend heard it too and was as horrified as I was.

I understand that I could be at fault for not having him on leash but hers wasn't either, and what's an aggressive dog doing without a muzzle?

I love rottweilers, they're beautiful and intelligent dogs, Ghost played with one who was very well trained way back. But the owner's approach shocked us. Honestly, I would tell her to let her dog go because I know Ghost can 1. run, 2. take care of himself. I did apologise to them too! I said I was sorry he ran up to them...:(

Since I'm alone I had to share the story on fb. And this guy from my friend-list commented asking if MY dog had a muzzle. I don't get it.:@

Thank you for reading, now I can go back to my sleep. :)

Thank you both. She said it behind my back to her friend. If that were her purpose it wouldn't work, I'd be more scared of small breeds tbh. ^^'

I find it troubling that one day some other dog may come up to them and she'll let hers loose. :/

If their dog was in any way actually like that with other dogs you'd have known about it; it would have been lunging at yours when he ran over etc' date=' so I think she was probably saying it as a bit of a morbid joke.[/quote']

Actually today another friend of mine with whom I go for dog walks told me that the dog attacked a couple of dogs previously and that the owners can't control him.

They must have held it before it noticed Ghost. I agree it is a morbid joke.

Hehe, I meant as in real life. I live in Czech republic now but originally come from Slovakia, so many of my friends are there, and those that are here, well most of them are busy. My bf with whom I live and spend "second to most time with" presence-wise is him and he is currently until next Tuesday in New York.

Although Ghost likes to talk very much, I would not be able to get a comprehensive reply to this occurrence, so I used FB to spread it before I steamed myself here because of that friend's comment too. :P Should have gone here instead in the first place. :oops

I feel much better now, :thankyou: all I really appreciate it!

That just makes me angry and I want to punch her. People like her are the reason dogs of any breed have a bad name. If kyser was aggressive i sure as heck wouldn't be proud of it, and he would be muzled. when people behave like that or worse let their dog do bad things it ads to the bad image of a breed when in fact its likely just that own that made the dog like that; with some exceptions.

Logically, she did have control of her dog, your dog was the one that ran up to hers. If she didn't have control of the dog and was DA it would have acted aggressively but from what you said it didn't? I'm not sure how she is in the wrong as her dog was under control?

Logically, she did have control of her dog, your dog was the one that ran up to hers. If she didn't have control of the dog and was DA it would have acted aggressively but from what you said it didn't? I'm not sure how she is in the wrong as her dog was under control?

its about her altitude not her control, what if insteAD of a dog the OP had a child running free and she said what she said. The OP was the one with the unleashed dog but owners of the breeds like rotts and pits shouldn't be proud of the aggressive nature, and should not even think of let alone joke about their dog attacking. This is how our doga get bad names. My pitbull wouldnt hurt anyone but because of bad owner they are thought to be monsters. While that lady is not the worst owner she is a bad one. guess you have to have one of the hated breeds to understand the anger at dumb owners.

How do you know that her dog was aggressive? Is it just because it was a rotti?' date=' I have seen more aggressive chis and tiny dogs.[/quote']

They don't know if it was aggressive or not it was the comment she said about what could have happened if she didn't hold hers back (making it sound like the dog is aggressive) they are talking about

Sent from my ST18i using Forum Runner

I am not saying I was innocent, I should have leashed Ghost when I first saw the other dog. But I doubt the woman has control of her dog as a day later I was told, her dog already attacked a couple other dogs. She was not it the wrong, plain and simple but her attitude is wrong. What she said was a morbid joke.

That just makes me angry and I want to punch her. People like her are the reason dogs of any breed have a bad name. If kyser was aggressive i sure as heck wouldn't be proud of it, and he would be muzled. when people behave like that or worse let their dog do bad things it ads to the bad image of a breed when in fact its likely just that own that made the dog like that; with some exceptions.

Exactly, and yet people who don't understand blame the dogs and tell us off that we're wrong for throwing the blame at owners.

How do you know that her dog was aggressive? Is it just because it was a rotti?, I have seen more aggressive chis and tiny dogs.

I wanted a rottweiler when I was small, so no, it was not because the dog was a rottweiler. If I see a person who is holding their dog by collar and see how they give the dog a toy in mouth and joke about what it would be like if they stopped holding him, I don't know, I'd probably think the dog must have had an issue with him like aggressiveness. Moreover with the attitude of the owner as she had I question her as being a good owner.

I wanted a rottweiler when I was small, so no, it was not because the dog was a rottweiler. If I see a person who is holding their dog by collar and see how they give the dog a toy in mouth and joke about what it would be like if they stopped holding him, I don't know, I'd probably think the dog must have had an issue with him like aggressiveness. Moreover with the attitude of the owner as she had I question her as being a good owner.

Exactly you don't joke what if I let him go if your dog was non aggressive and would have just rolled over, you wouldn't even have cared. People with no experience with truly aggressive dogs simply can't tell the difference between aggressive, protective, and scared. Just because a dog is growling or barking doesn't mean its aggressive, as a matter of fact I have seen quite the opposite dogs that would just sit there calmly waiting for the right moment and then bam like an explosion.

its about her altitude not her control, what if insteAD of a dog the OP had a child running free and she said what she said. The OP was the one with the unleashed dog but owners of the breeds like rotts and pits shouldn't be proud of the aggressive nature, and should not even think of let alone joke about their dog attacking. This is how our doga get bad names. My pitbull wouldnt hurt anyone but because of bad owner they are thought to be monsters. While that lady is not the worst owner she is a bad one. guess you have to have one of the hated breeds to understand the anger at dumb owners.

I'm not talking about what she said about her dog. Though having said that, I own a DA dog and I will happily tell people not to let their dog approach because my dog is not friendly. Not quite the same as what this lady said, but to be honest if it was me in her position I wouldn't have been so polite.

I'm not talking about what she said about her dog. Though having said that, I own a DA dog and I will happily tell people not to let their dog approach because my dog is not friendly. Not quite the same as what this lady said, but to be honest if it was me in her position I wouldn't have been so polite.

I didn't expect her to be polite, she had every reason to be mean to me. My dog ran up to them. But at no point did she call to me to go get my dog out of there, no word at all, so I don't think she was angry at me. What I was steaming here was her attitude and the joke she said about letting her dog go at mine. You don't say that, what if her dog, after her comment, got out of her hand, while mine at that time was already leashed? Even if she just said it, how would it look when she was joking about it just moments ago? If hers attacked mine, now he wouldn't be able to run away. I may be thinking things up but this thread was about her ill-meant joke.

maybe keep ghost on lead a bit more and shout to dog owners and ask if their dogs are friendly or not x

this thread needs to return back to being constructive and helpful as i feel the op may feel 'bullied'

whether the dog was aggressive or not was not the point of this thread... it was the comments of the rottweilers owner

please keep threads like this helpful and not descend into picking apart replies

I didn't expect her to be polite, she had every reason to be mean to me. My dog ran up to them. But at no point did she call to me to go get my dog out of there, no word at all, so I don't think she was angry at me. What I was steaming here was her attitude and the joke she said about letting her dog go at mine. You don't say that, what if her dog, after her comment, got out of her hand, while mine at that time was already leashed? Even if she just said it, how would it look when she was joking about it just moments ago? If hers attacked mine, now he wouldn't be able to run away. I may be thinking things up but this thread was about her ill-meant joke.

Not saying she was totally in the right I just think posters saying things like "I want to punch her" etc are a bit OTT. I can understand both perspectives. :)

Its not that she had no right to be upset and no right to even yell, its what she joked about, she could have yelled at the OP and cussed him and his dog out and that would be fine. The problem is joking about your dog attacking, people already have bad enough view of some of these dogs and those of use who own these dogs and work very hard to change that perceptions understandably get up set at people who are to stupid to understand you don't joke about that stuff or do things to make the false perception reality.

Not saying she was totally in the right I just think posters saying things like "I want to punch her" etc are a bit OTT. I can understand both perspectives. :)

TBH - to keep this OT, we should be discussing what the owner of the Rottweiler said as that is what was intended for discussion. Her attitude was wrong. If your dog is aggressive, it should be muzzled and always on its lead. There is no need for spiteful comments like the one she made to make the other party feel bad.

Dog owners are supposed to sympathise with each-other. Not put one another down. There are some nasty people out there and she clearly was one of them.