help

pamela

hello i am a new owner of a four month old husky when we put him in his crate he does great until he use the bathroom room the he fuss to get out how do a stop him from using it in his crate or let me know before he goes any tips are welcome

hello i am a new owner of a four month old husky when we put him in his crate he does great until he use the bathroom room the he fuss to get out how do a stop him from using it in his crate or let me know before he goes any tips are welcome

A husky at that age can't hold his bladder for too long, so when he has to go...let him out and let him go outside to go. I don't quite understand the problem?

How long is he left in there?

How would you feel if you couldn't hold your bladder, someone stuck you in a crate, and expected you to hold it for hours and hours??

Pam, at that age, he doesn't know that he has to go till it's too late. You need to be taking him out every couple of hours - when you get him used to the idea that the place to do his business is outside then he'll start asking to go out - but you're looking at a couple of more months before that happens and a couple beyond that before it's dependable ( most of the time! )

I'll just be honest it seems like it takes forever before they're potty trained. Luka is 5 1/2 months and is fine but even still if I dont let him out he will pee in front of the door. It's happened 2 times And I only have myself to blame. Hey, when you gotta go you gotta go.

Potty training takes time and lots of patience. Crate training is great and often helps with potty training but like the others said at that age accidents are to be expected. Like Al said taking the pup out every couple of hours will help and once he associates outside with the bathroom he'll start giving you signs he needs to go out and go potty.

How big is the crate? If its too big often pups will go potty in one end and sleep in the other. The best crates are ones with dividers so they can "grow" with your puppy. Even if its a smaller crate accidents are likely. It took my boy Kuma until the age of 8-9 months before he stopped having any accidents inside his crate.