Feeding Raw.

Nfored

I have been feeding Kyser raw for almost a year now and after figuring out amounts and such he is doing very well no more gas and seems to still have a great coat. I want to transition Khan to raw once he is a little older.

So my question is how many of you husky owners feed raw? what do you do? My wife loving hand prepares and cooks all the food for Kyser, we feed him chicken, rice and veggies and the occasional rib bone. Currently Khan is on Blue Wilderness or which ever one has the wolf on the front, and I must admit his coat is possibly the softest I have ever felt but he is still just a pup. We like the ability to feed raw because we can do so more cost effective normally then buying high end dog food, and human food typically goes through more regulation then dog food so in our minds hopefully safer.

Your cooking it all??

I feed both of mine RAW but i order from a supplier so it is minced etc but i do also get raw chicken wings and thighs etc and will be speaking to my local butcher once ive moved to see if they have any stuff they will sell cheap.

You can put your puppy onto raw also i have my pup on raw she is just over 4 months old.

I feed raw, and have done for over two years. Both my huskies were about 5 & 6 months old when I changed over to raw. It is great and they love it :) I do have to disguise the organs though - it is not exactly their favourite part of the meal :rolleyes:

i feed raw changed diva over at 11weeks old she now 14months and leyka is now 16 weeks shes been having raw since 6 weeks old when the breeder started giving mince xx

My wife normally cooks the rice and beans, if there is cooked meet its normally a beef product like neck bones. I know cooked chicken bones are risky but are beef and pork bones also risky? I have all my life always brought home my rib and stake bones for all my dogs to eat.

We don't feed cooked bones at all. Cooking changes the structure of the bone, making it indigestible and easily 'splinterable'. Raw bones rarely splinter and are fully digestible.

Try not feed the big weight-bearing bones of large herbivores. These are the bones that chip and crack teeth. These include the "recreational bones" like cow femurs and soup bones. They are incredibly dense and hard, and can result in slab fractures and cracked teeth. Avoid them if you can, and stick to MEATY bones that are edible.

My two like beef ribs as a recreational bone once or twice a week. I get the butcher to cut them into 15-20cm pieces, because they are huge. I watch them, and when they get to the part that is denser than the rest, I give them a treat and take the bone away - rather safe than sorry. Dental work is expensive.