Just to say Hello

jackieb

Hi everyone, Firstly may I do a quick intro. Well I am Jackie and I am the very proud mum of a GSD called Mishka and a little King Charles spaniel called Molly.

I love my dogs and they are a really big part of my life.

Sorry, not very good at this stuff so please stick with me. As my Mishka is now two it seems like the right time to add another to our little pack and I am seriously thinking about a Siberian Husky, thus the reason I have joined you all today, it seemed to me that only other owners can really give a true perspective of what it is like to have a Siberian Husky in the family.

I am hoping you are all a friendly lot and will give me guidance to make the right choice.

So will it be OK if I ask your advice?

Thanks everyone for the welcome. Please excuse all my spelling errors in my posts, it is just a little problem I have, and I can't find spell check on here...:oops

OK, here goes with the first question..... I have been trawling through sites and forums for information, like you do, and I need help sorting out what is true and what is down to lack of leadership.

If I am to believe half of what I have read, then the main issues with having a SH in the family are: They are really hard to train, they are totally distructive, they will trash your garden (not that I have much of one left now anyway) their play can quickly to into fights, exspecially as Mishka my GSD is a little bit dominant anyway.

Also they are more than likely to attack and kill a small dog ie my little Molly.

I must admit an awful lot of these threads tended to end in "when I got home" I am at home most of the time, work for myself, and when at the office the dogs come too.

Sorry, did try to warn you all, so many questions:headbang:.

Exercise & Mental Stimulation will go a loooong way.

Little Dogs- It's the prey drive. I taught Meeka to not go after our cats and she lives peacefully with both of them. ( They ALWAYS have a *safe place* to go to when they dont want to play) but at the dog park she chased a little jack russell, caught it-it gave a little yelp of because it got caught ( she didnt bite it, owner and I both looked) and that was that, it became a game of chase. I warned the owner that they shouldnt play because if Meeka decided that when she catches the JRT I cant guarantee she wont bite it- the owner wasnt worried she said her dog bosses around rotties so that was that. ( and they played great)

and remember Husky=Leash

Hello and welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place for everything husky. We are friendly here and love all dogs regardless of breed so would love to see photos of your current pack! There are tons of threads here with information, tips, tricks, personal experiences, stories and much more so feel free to look around, post new threads and as questions.

With some of the questions and concerns thus far here's my take along with my experience with them. Huskies in general can be a stubborn breed but they are trainable. Rewards and consistency will go a long way. They tend to be stubborn if they don't see the reward or benefit to doing what you ask. My husky Kuma will do his tricks and commands but if he hasn't gotten a reward after the first few he'll likely stop doing what I ask until I give him something to work for. Since they were bred to pull sleds sometimes loose leash training can take time and be difficult but this is not to say a husky can't be lose lead trained. They do have a strong desire to run, typically have poor recall and a high prey drive so it is not advised to let them off lead unless in a secure fenced area. They are also escape artists so make sure its really is a secure area. Huskies can be destructive if they don't get the proper physical and mental stimulation. But given the right exercise and toys and activities to stimulate their brains that destructiveness can usually be curved. Crate training when they are home alone will prevent destruction. We crate all 3 of our boys when not home, though Kuma's crate is hard to latch and we have come home to him being loose in the house. Kuma's a good boy so luckily we've not come home to destruction.

Huskies do typically play rough with other dogs but that doesn't mean fights will always break out nor does it mean they can't play gentle. I have 3 intact male dogs, Kuma the husky, Koopa the pit bull and Tenchi the pekingese. Kume and Koopa both play rough with each other. Kuma makes noises but I've never had a serious fight break out with them. If one gets too rough the other will bark and "tell off" the rough one and then I just tell them no more play and let them calm back down. As far as my little dog goes Kuma and Tenchi play all the time and Kuma is really gentle with him. My pekingese is the one who plays rough and "bullies" my husky. Huskies do have high prey drive but most know a small dog is a dog and not prey. My boy also lives with 4 cats and does fine with them. He doesn't try to eat them but he's been raised with them since he was 6 months old and knows they are off limits as far as playing and chasing them goes.

While there are things typical of the breed all dogs of all breeds are individuals, so some may be spot on with the breed generals while others may be way off the mark. So while some huskies are extremely stubborn and destructive, others are not. As long as you do research and are prepared and can give a husky the things it needs to be happy and healthy I'm sure one would make a fine addition to your pack :D

Siberian huskies can be stubborn in there training at times but with consistency they can be trained really easy (I had my Cally sitting, laying down, paw, other paw and roll over by 7 weeks old, 4 days after I got her) I am not in the least saying this is the case with every Siberian Husky but the time and effort you put into the training goes a long way, as with any other dog!

Huskies are often labelled as destructive although I know from personal experience that if you give your husky the exercise it needs (both physically and mentally) huskies can be a pretty calm and laid back dog. I would not recommend a husky if you are away from the home alot as they need lots of socialization, exercise and consistency.

You can have dominance issues with any breed, it happens and it will always happen at least once in a while, as long as you have a firm grasp on what you want to be "playing" and what is "too rough" and intervene if it gets passed your comfort level.

Lastly, yes it is said that huskies have a very high prey drive and will go after small animals. This is entirely true although if you train them around small animals, (cats, small dogs etc.) they can get along just fine. My husky gets along great with my sisters 3 chihuahas, my pug and all the smaller dogs at the dog park. She will occasionally chase my cats but will never hurt them, just corner them and lick them :P

Remember: It's all in how you train the dog and want the dog to behave. If you have the time and space for a Siberian Husky than they are an amazing dog to have and you can most definitely train them to do the above things and be the dog you want them to be!!

:welcome:. The thread below is a good and interesting read if you haven't already seen it :)

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/showthread.php/6842-Thinking-of-getting-your-1st-husky-Read-this!

Good luck in whatever you decide